U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 02:58 PM

13,143 posts, read 19,214,711 times

Advertisements

I am an agnostic person who will never, ever, ever believe or follow the tenants of Islam. But I don't think a Muslim is necessarily inferior just by virture of the fact he/she is a Muslim. In my mind I separate religious beliefs from the person, and am OK with someone believing something I don't AND believing they can be good people with valuable perspectives concerning human existence.

So my question is: Can a Muslim return the sentiment? Can they see me as a different but equal human being or am I always a infidel and/or barbarian because I don't believe as they do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2010, 02:59 PM

2,782 posts, read 3,734,881 times
Islam isn't a person, so no.

Old 07-15-2010, 03:28 PM

19 posts, read 21,856 times
I am a muslim, and alot of people dont understand how forgiving this religion is, check this hadith

Moderator cut: deleted - English only

THats the original script, it says, a dog was nearly dying of thirst. and a jewish prostitue poured him water, and god forgives here, means she is going to heaven even though she is a Jewish not a Muslim

so to answer your question, yes you are equal, and basically if you are lucky, even as an atheist, if you did something as good as this, god might actually forgive you regardless of your religion

And another hadith, that a woman went to hell for simply locking a cat up in a room without any food till the cat dies, she went to hell just for making the cat starve to death

Last edited by june 7th; 07-20-2010 at 07:56 AM.. Reason: English only per the Terms of Service.

Old 07-15-2010, 06:41 PM

7,525 posts, read 14,916,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Can they see me as a different but equal human being ..............
Nope....they even kill each other because they disagree on who succeeded Mohamed.

Old 07-15-2010, 06:50 PM

12,048 posts, read 16,789,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
Nope....they even kill each other because they disagree on who succeeded Mohamed.
So you're Muslim, have studied the Koran, and can speak to what they all individually believe and feel? Wow.

I am Jewish and have been treated well by every Muslim I have ever met. When living in London, I attended classes with women wearing all levels of dress from completely covered head to toe to partially covered hair (and those were the women that I could visually identify as Muslim) and they were all quite kind to me despite being the only Jew and only American in most of my courses. I am quite open about being an agnostic Jew and that didn't even stop one Muslim man from dating me. He was not particularly religious, but things like inequality are deeper seated that as displayed by religious devotion.

There are some Muslims that will never consider you equal. That can be said for people of almost any religion, or lack thereof. You have to take people as individuals. Christianity banishes all non-Christians to hell, but that doesn't mean that all Christians take that literally and see you as less than they are. I don't know why people hold the Koran to a different standard than the Bible.

Old 07-15-2010, 07:05 PM

80 posts, read 134,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
So you're Muslim, have studied the Koran, and can speak to what they all individually believe and feel? Wow.

I am Jewish and have been treated well by every Muslim I have ever met. When living in London, I attended classes with women wearing all levels of dress from completely covered head to toe to partially covered hair (and those were the women that I could visually identify as Muslim) and they were all quite kind to me despite being the only Jew and only American in most of my courses. I am quite open about being an agnostic Jew and that didn't even stop one Muslim man from dating me. He was not particularly religious, but things like inequality are deeper seated that as displayed by religious devotion.

There are some Muslims that will never consider you equal. That can be said for people of almost any religion, or lack thereof. You have to take people as individuals. Christianity banishes all non-Christians to hell, but that doesn't mean that all Christians take that literally and see you as less than they are. I don't know why people hold the Koran to a different standard than the Bible.
Your comments are very inspirational to say the least.

How can we not show equality to the jews and chistians when we are allowed in the Quran to be married to them and make love to thier woman in marriage yet treat them un-equal and un-justly? How would someone treat his stallion harshly but later imbrace him?

Old 07-15-2010, 07:23 PM

Quote:
So you're Muslim, have studied the Koran,.............
Nope, but I can read the newspapers from around the world.....and just like I don't have to experience bad food in order to know that it is bad, all I have to know about Islam can be found in the newspapers.

Old 07-15-2010, 08:02 PM

12,048 posts, read 16,789,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
Nope, but I can read the newspapers from around the world.....and just like I don't have to experience bad food in order to know that it is bad, all I have to know about Islam can be found in the newspapers.
Then you know very little about Islam at all. Do yourself a favor- read the Koran. Meet some Muslims. Talk about religion with them. You'll come back here and smack your old self in the face.

Old 07-15-2010, 09:05 PM

40,117 posts, read 26,779,715 times
Islam accepts every one who SUBMITS to Allah. Everyone else is lesser and needs to be dominated. Equality is a non-issue in Islam . . . Allah prescribes the status and position of the genders. Islam is an uncivilized and barbaric religion of conquest and rule in the name of Allah.

Old 07-15-2010, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Then you know very little about Islam at all. Do yourself a favor- read the Koran. Meet some Muslims. Talk about religion with them. You'll come back here and smack your old self in the face.
Quote:
Recently two gunmen on motorcycles opened fire on a truck full of policemen, killing 11 and wounding nine in the Pakistani town of Quetta, near the Afghan border. Nearly all the victims belonged to the minority sect of Shia Islam. The attack on Shiites was the third in Quetta in less than two weeks.
Radical Muslims Killing Muslims (washingtonpost.com)

Quote:
AL Qaeda does one thing ex tremely well: killing Muslims. Between 2006 and 2008, only 2 percent of the terror multinational's victims were Westerners. The rest were citizens of Muslim countries. Even as al Qaeda claims to be their defender.

* Between 2004 and 2008, only 15 percent of al Qaeda's victims were Westerners, and that number skewed upward because of the Madrid and London attacks.
* Between 2006 and 2008, a non-Westerner was 54 times likelier to die in an al Qaeda attack than a Westerner.
* "Outside of the war zones of Afghanistan and Iraq, 99 percent of al Qaeda's victims were non-Western in 2007 and 96 percent were non-Western in 2008."
Killing Muslims - NYPOST.com

Quote:
Ahmadis were attacked by those "mainstream" Muslims who are sympathizers of the Taliban and al-Qaeda in Pakistan. These Muslims attacked the two Ahmadi mosques packed with hundreds of worshipers. At least eighty people were killed. The assaults in Lahore were carried out by at least seven men, including three suicide bombers. Some of the attackers acted as snipers from an adjacent mosque to kill their fellow Muslims
American Thinker: Muslims Killing Muslims in the Name of Jihad

Quote:
Jihad is directed not “just” against the unbelievers (the kaffirs, i.e., non-Mulsims), but all those who have “deviated” — the Shi’ites, the Alawites, the Ahmadis, the Druze, Bahais, Yazidis, etc. It is holy war by armed resistance to all those who do not accept Muhammad’s message as interpreted by the sacred traditions hallowed by all the schools of Sunni jurisprudence across fourteen hundred years of history.
Muslims Killing Muslims in the Name of Jihad Creeping Sharia

YouTube - Killing of Non-Muslims is Legitimate (British Mullah)

Quote:
Do yourself a favor- read the Koran.
If I wanted to read fiction disguised as religion, I would read L Ron Hubbard. What Muslims do speaks so loudly that I cannot believe anything their holy book says.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or