U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 06:31 AM

40,056 posts, read 30,529,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
...like a Christian church service?
It sounds like you're setting Christianity up as the standard to which other religions must be compared. That is, if I may commit a small understatement, a mistake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2010, 08:25 AM

5,654 posts, read 5,620,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elwill View Post
no , we worship our God in the way which mohammed (pbuh) teached us , we not make additions to it nor do we neglect something from it

so no , we can hear such songs in our homes but not using it as a ritual worship in mosques

reciting quran for muslims in mosques is sufficient , it's iinfluences on muslims is beyond your imagination
Is their anything in the Quran that specifically prohibits singing worship songs to Allah after prayers? It would be very nice if everyone joined in together to sing that song after prayer.

Old 07-23-2010, 08:35 AM

4,083 posts, read 4,425,543 times
Quote:
Is their anything in the Quran that specifically prohibits singing worship songs to Allah after prayers? It would be very nice if everyone joined in together to sing that song after prayer.

Muslim prayer services are modeled in the tradition the prophet laid down. To change that is an innovation and there should be no innovation in Muslim worship.

That being said one does not need to have songs in worship service to pray to G-d. Islam is not the only religion that does not have music in its worship service.

Christian worship service ought not be what other traditions are compared against. Christian religious services have evolved over time to be what they are.

Muslims have services that are unique in their own right and that ought to be respected.

Old 07-23-2010, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
Muslim prayer services are modeled in the tradition the prophet laid down. To change that is an innovation and there should be no innovation in Muslim worship.

That being said one does not need to have songs in worship service to pray to G-d. Islam is not the only religion that does not have music in its worship service.

Christian worship service ought not be what other traditions are compared against. Christian religious services have evolved over time to be what they are.

Muslims have services that are unique in their own right and that ought to be respected.
You're giving off a really defensive vibe; I'm not denigrating your religion, just asking questions. Plus you didn't answer my question, so I'll ask it one more time: Is there anything in the Quran that forbids singing at a mosque after prayer services; it's a simple yes or no.

Old 07-23-2010, 10:46 AM

4,083 posts, read 4,425,543 times
Quote:
You're giving off a really defensive vibe; I'm not denigrating your religion, just asking questions. Plus you didn't answer my question, so I'll ask it one more time: Is there anything in the Quran that forbids singing at a mosque after prayer services; it's a simple yes or no.
I am not defensive, just pointing out that Islam has a different way to worship and have explained why. I am not Muslim but I spent alot of time studying Islam and I have lots of Muslim friends.

It has been explained that the muslim worship service is modeled after how the prophet prayed. The examples of how the prophet prayed, lived are many of the examples that Muslims seek to follow.

What I am saying is that different religions have worship services that have their own traditions. There are services within Judaism where you will find no music too.

Last edited by Jazzymom; 07-23-2010 at 10:56 AM..

Old 07-23-2010, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
I am not defensive, just pointing out that Islam has a different way to worship and have explained why. I am not Muslim but I spent alot of time studying Islam and I have lots of Muslim friends.

It has been explained that the muslim worship service is modeled after how the prophet prayed. The examples of how the prophet prayed, lived are many of the examples that Muslims seek to follow.

What I am saying is that different religions have worship services that have their own traditions. There are services within Judaism where you will find no music too.
So you refuse to answer my question; got it. I will not ask you anymore.

Old 07-23-2010, 02:05 PM

5,906 posts, read 5,186,009 times
Quote:
So you refuse to answer my question; got it. I will not ask you anymore.
Why are you being so hostile to a poster who admitted not being Muslim?

Seems very out of line to me...FWIW, I'd like to know the answer, too, but good bloody luck getting a straight answer out of the Muslims here.

Edit:

http://www.islamawareness.net/Music/prohibited.html

http://muslimways.com/library/miscel...-is-haram.html

Last edited by rayneinspain; 07-23-2010 at 02:17 PM..

Old 07-23-2010, 07:02 PM

397 posts, read 534,587 times
Quote:
Why no music and singing to Allah?
because instruments are supposed to be the works of the shaitan. if you listen to hip hop now a days, or at least mainstream, its about sex, drugs, money, etc. if we had music in praise and worship it would lead to listening to other types of music. its a gateway i guess you could say. so we dont associate music with the worship of allah because thats not the way that he should b worshiped. nothing better than the word of god, it doesnt need any additions like instruments or anything.

Old 07-23-2010, 07:07 PM

397 posts, read 534,587 times
Quote:
we're not supposed to involve any instruments when reciting the quran. or praising allah. we all stand together and pray to allah at the end of the prayers. a way that we can all "praise and worship" if you will. but its not necessary to add to what has already been brought down. allah stated that he has perfected his religion, meaning not to add anything nor take anything away.

Old 07-23-2010, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukrill View Post
because instruments are supposed to be the works of the shaitan. if you listen to hip hop now a days, or at least mainstream, its about sex, drugs, money, etc. if we had music in praise and worship it would lead to listening to other types of music. its a gateway i guess you could say. so we dont associate music with the worship of allah because thats not the way that he should b worshiped. nothing better than the word of god, it doesnt need any additions like instruments or anything.
That's absurd, instruments are inanimate objects, they can no more be the works of God or Satan then a saw can. A saw can be used to make beautiful woodwork, or it can be used to hack off someone's head; it's what the user does with the instrument that is either good or evil, not the instrument itself. Plus your other argument doesn't account for self control; does drinking water lead to getting wasted on vodka? No, because you have self control. Also, you too didn't answer my question either; is there anywhere in the Quran that strictly prohibits singing praise songs to Allah during prayer services? It's such a simple question, but everyone keeps dodging it. Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam