U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 05:10 AM

1,554 posts, read 1,580,153 times

Advertisements

How did the Prophet believe until he became certain?

At the start he was thinking and contemplating and wishing to do some reformation in his community; so God sent the angel to him to tell him he became an apostle to his people.

This is in the Quran 96: 1-5
اقْرَأْ بِاسْمِ رَبِّكَ الَّذِي خَلَقَ . خَلَقَ الْإِنسَانَ مِنْ عَلَقٍ . اقْرَأْ وَرَبُّكَ الْأَكْرَمُ . الَّذِي عَلَّمَ بِالْقَلَمِ . عَلَّمَ الْإِنسَانَ مَا لَمْ يَعْلَمْ

The explanation:
([O Mohammed] recite: in the name of your Lord Who created [the universe from the non-existence.]

[Who] created man from the 'worm-like structure'.

Recite, and your Lord is the Most Generous.

Who taught [the writing] with the pen [so that heavenly revelations might be written down.]

He taught man [some of the knowledge and sciences] that he did not know [before.])

The Prophet refused at the start; then was in hesitation, then returned to his family with distress; he said to them: "Cover me with some blankets."

Then the angel came again to him and said: "Arise and carry up your duty."
This is in the Quran 74: 1-7
يَا أَيُّهَا الْمُدَّثِّرُ . قُمْ فَأَنذِرْ . وَرَبَّكَ فَكَبِّرْ . وَثِيَابَكَ فَطَهِّرْ . وَالرُّجْزَ فَاهْجُرْ . وَلَا تَمْنُن تَسْتَكْثِرُ . وَلِرَبِّكَ فَاصْبِرْ

The explanation:
(O you [: Mohammed] covering yourself [with your blankets!]

Arise [to carry out your duty: We did not send you to sleep in bed], and warn [your people against idolatry.]

And magnify your Lord.

And purify your garments.

And forsake those saying 'derisive poetry'.

Consider not your expenditure so much, making that a favor [to people.]

But forbear [the hurt of your people, and let that be] for [the sake of] your Lord.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2010, 07:01 AM

Prophet Mohammed was misguided like his idolatrous people

Prophet Mohammed at the start was (like many other prophets before him) in error and misguidance, and then God guided him, acquainted and taught him through revelation and inspiration.

Some Muslims out of their ignorance and imitation to each other, and the rigidity of thinking, they followed (like all other peoples and nations) their traditions which God did not reveal.

So such Muslims cannot imagine the idea that the Prophet at the start was in misguidance and say: No he was rightly guided: worshipping God alone from the start.

While when we see the Quran in many ayat like the ayat 93: 6-8

أَلَمْ يَجِدْكَ يَتِيمًا فَآوَى .وَوَجَدَكَ ضَالًّا فَهَدَى . وَوَجَدَكَ عَائِلًا فَأَغْنَى

The explanation:
(Did He not find you an orphan, and give you shelter [to your grandfather then to your uncle]?

Did He not find you erring [from the religion], and guide you [by inspiration and revelation]?

Did He not find you destitute with a family, and enrich you [by trading and by the wealth of your wife Khadieja]?

Therefore, as for the orphan: oppress him not.

As for the beggar: scold him not.

And as for your Lord's favor [on you: your message]: 'rehearse and proclaim' it [to people.])

When he saw his people worshipping the stone idols and saw their error and wronging of each other, he wished sincerely to guide them and save them from their social difficulties.

www.quran-ayat.com

Old 07-27-2010, 07:39 AM

What is this: how did the prophet believe?
Is there any difference: whether he believed this way or that way?

The implication:
At the start he was not a believer; he was rather somewhat like his people, then God guided him gradually until he became a firm believer.
It indicates he was truthful; because at the start he refused, then doubted then gradually believed until he had the certainty of belief.

Old 07-27-2010, 07:46 AM

99 posts, read 54,356 times
Prophet Mohammed himself was not a believer at the start
How can you prove it?

Old 07-27-2010, 07:50 AM

Again how can you prove it?

Old 07-27-2010, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roar View Post
Prophet Mohammed himself was not a believer at the start
How can you prove it?

At the start Prophet Mohammed refused the task of the apostlehood, then doubted about it then gradually believed until he reached the certainty of belief.

As in the Quran 2: 285
آمَنَ الرَّسُولُ بِمَا أُنزِلَ إِلَيْهِ مِن رَّبِّهِ وَالْمُؤْمِنُونَ كُلٌّ آمَنَ بِاللّهِ وَمَلآئِكَتِهِ وَكُتُبِهِ وَرُسُلِهِ ...الخ

The explanation:
(The messenger [Mohammed] has now believed in that revealed to him from his Lord, and the believers [have also believed.] Each one [of them] believes in God and His angels and His Books [:Scriptures] and His messengers [:apostles], …etc.)

ΥέΝΙ ΜΟνΟΙ 1

This implies he was truthful: because no need to claim he doubts about his prophet-hood; this will lead people to doubt also because he tries to convince them that he was sent to them against the idolatry and bearing God's word to them: the Glorious Quran; then he can't say to them: I doubt about this.

Old 07-27-2010, 08:11 AM

Ha ha ha: This is very strange: Prophet Mohammed not a believer at the beginning? I am a Muslim; and you say there are other verses in the Quran telling this: I don't think so.

Old 07-27-2010, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roar View Post
Ha ha ha: This is very strange: Prophet Mohammed not a believer at the beginning? I am a Muslim; and you say there are other verses in the Quran telling this: I don't think so.

roar,
When the prophet started to call his people (they were idolaters: worshipping the stone idols and claiming the idols were the symbols of the angels: the angels in heaven and the idols on earth); so when he invited them to abandon their idolatry and worship God the Creator alone without associate, they refused and opposed him.

They wrangled with him so much, and this aya 10: 16 was revealed
قُل لَّوْ شَاء اللّهُ مَا تَلَوْتُهُ عَلَيْكُمْ وَلاَ أَدْرَاكُم بِهِ فَقَدْ لَبِثْتُ فِيكُمْ عُمُرًا مِّن قَبْلِهِ أَفَلاَ تَعْقِلُونَ

The explanation:
(Say [Mohammed to your people who denied you]:

"Had God so willed [: to praise your idols], I should not have rehearsed it [: the Quran] to you, nor would He have acquainted you therewith;

for I have tarried a long time [: forty years] with you, prior to this [revelation of the Quran; so did I – in any occasion – say to you that I am an apostle of God, or did I ever forbid you to worship idols? And it is only now God has revealed the Quran to me and I have come to tell you]

Will you not then discern [the truth?]")

www.quran-ayat.com

Last edited by eanassir; 07-27-2010 at 09:32 AM..

Old 07-28-2010, 05:51 AM

eanassir,
some people claim Mohammed was a charlatan and impostor; can you prove the opposite?

Old 07-29-2010, 09:13 AM

How can he be anything like that when he refused his task at the start, then doubted then his belief increased gradually until he became certain, and in different circumstances he resorts to God alone, and did not agree in any way to incline to their idolatry.

And God said to him in the Quran 17: 73-75

Moderator cut: English only in posts, per the Terms of Service.

The explanation:
(They were about to tempt you [Mohammed] away from that We revealed to you; that you might forge against Us other [words]; they would – then – have certainly made you their dear friend.

And had We not confirmed you [Mohammed], surely you were about to incline to them a little bit.

In that case We would have let you taste a double [portion of the punishment] of living and a double [portion of the punishment] of dying; and moreover you would not have had – against Us – any helper.)

www.quran-ayat.com

Last edited by june 7th; 07-29-2010 at 03:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam