U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-12-2010, 11:32 AM
 
Location: The ICT, KS
124 posts, read 154,165 times
Reputation: 75

Advertisements

Are there people actually pushing for Sharia to be the law of the land? I was under the impression that it was a push for only Muslim communities wanting to be under Sharia to actually be held to Sharia law? I don't think religion of any sort should be made public policy. Religion is a private thing to me. I wouldn't mind private adjudicators or something using Sharia to settle things in a non-court setting.
The thing about Sharia is that it's not just made up of actual religious laws and beliefs but incorporates a lot of cultural practices that are frankly pretty backwards. The religion itself isn't too bad and I've seen Sharia courts that were downright humane in some Middle Eastern countries like Palestine. They seemed to be mostly focused on forgiving and moving forward rather than revenge, however given the people who want it in this country I don't think that will be the case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-12-2010, 12:19 PM
 
Location: part of the Matrix--for now!
1,030 posts, read 1,177,419 times
Reputation: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by KongAtTheGates View Post
Are there people actually pushing for Sharia to be the law of the land?
No, at least not in the US. The notion that Muslims are pushing for Shariah is a figment of people's imagination. It's an attempt at trying to justify the bigotry and paranoia that pervades sections of the US population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2010, 12:41 PM
 
Location: Victoria, BC.
30,876 posts, read 31,757,930 times
Reputation: 12623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nietzschean Gangsta View Post
No, at least not in the US. The notion that Muslims are pushing for Shariah is a figment of people's imagination. It's an attempt at trying to justify the bigotry and paranoia that pervades sections of the US population.
You are wrong...There are people advocating sharia in Canada as well as the US...In the UK it is already a fact..

Plan for implementing Sharia in the U.S.

Starting with personal arbitration courts -- similar to the attempt made awhile ago in Canada. "Native American Courts: Precedent for an Islamic arbitral system" by Issa Smith was originally published in 1993, but was reprinted several weeks ago at The American Muslim (thanks to all who sent this in):

The process of implementing Muslim family law will not be accomplished overnight. Changes of their type take place very slowly in American society, and our community is far from being prepared for this tak. I commend the continental council of Masajid for organizing this conference, and bringing together so many workers and thinkers. I pray to Allah the real decisions are made here that can be implemented by those ready to work. However, I strongly urge that consideration be given to political realities and the sensitivities of the American public. Such a radical change in American law—allowing Muslims to take control over their family law issues - must be initiated from the indigenous Muslim community here in the United States. To have it seem that this initiative is originating from overseas or from organizations financed overseas, would create a very negative impression that would likely destroy this effort.
The American Muslim (TAM)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2010, 10:33 PM
 
Location: part of the Matrix--for now!
1,030 posts, read 1,177,419 times
Reputation: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
In democratic countries, with people of free will and equal rights, and with the typical Constitutional rights afforded in Canada, the United States, Great Britain, Australia and many others, what aspect of Muslim sharia laws do you think would improve our lives?

You've asked us what bothers us about it, and we have responded with many examples of it's barbaric and chauvinistic nature. It's disregard for basic gender equality, and it's denial of true religious freedom. It's open association with ongoing world terrorism.

Now you need to tell us why we should consider it. What does it offer as an improvement over our exiting system? What is so horribly lacking in the basic Judeo-Christian legal system that has evolved in Western countries?

Is it simply because it's absolutely mandated by your theocratic religion? Is it because you'd like to convert us to Islam?

Explain carefully. We're listening.
Shariah law applies only to Muslims. It doesn't apply to non-Muslims.

On a side note; I'm an African-American male. You cannot seriously expect me to give the "thumbs up" to the racist American criminal justice system. Do you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2010, 10:38 PM
 
Location: part of the Matrix--for now!
1,030 posts, read 1,177,419 times
Reputation: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
You are wrong...There are people advocating sharia in Canada as well as the US...In the UK it is already a fact..

Plan for implementing Sharia in the U.S.

Starting with personal arbitration courts -- similar to the attempt made awhile ago in Canada. "Native American Courts: Precedent for an Islamic arbitral system" by Issa Smith was originally published in 1993, but was reprinted several weeks ago at The American Muslim (thanks to all who sent this in):

The process of implementing Muslim family law will not be accomplished overnight. Changes of their type take place very slowly in American society, and our community is far from being prepared for this tak. I commend the continental council of Masajid for organizing this conference, and bringing together so many workers and thinkers. I pray to Allah the real decisions are made here that can be implemented by those ready to work. However, I strongly urge that consideration be given to political realities and the sensitivities of the American public. Such a radical change in American law—allowing Muslims to take control over their family law issues - must be initiated from the indigenous Muslim community here in the United States. To have it seem that this initiative is originating from overseas or from organizations financed overseas, would create a very negative impression that would likely destroy this effort.
The American Muslim (TAM)
Yes, this is about Muslims it is not about non-Muslims. Shariah law applies to Muslims, and Muslims ONLY. If you're not a Muslim why worry?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2010, 10:43 PM
 
Location: Happy wherever I am - Florida now
3,359 posts, read 10,909,466 times
Reputation: 3838
If you think that sharia law only applies to muslims, then ask yourself why the sharia imposition of killing (or threatening to kill) anyone, muslim or not, who disses allah or mohammed is so common. That is one of the foundations of sharia law.

Sharia family law in the UK only grants a woman half the inheritance her brother gets for starters. Why they want to go along with that is beyond me unless you realize that the women are basically slaves to their men. Best to keep something that conflicts with our laws out of our country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2010, 11:01 PM
 
5,906 posts, read 5,185,281 times
Reputation: 4536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nietzschean Gangsta View Post
Yes, this is about Muslims it is not about non-Muslims. Shariah law applies to Muslims, and Muslims ONLY. If you're not a Muslim why worry?

Quote:
...with liberty and justice for all.
All. Everyone. Not just a portion of the populace that happens to not be a Muslim female.

We have ONE system of law, and it should apply to everyone, period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2010, 11:25 PM
 
Location: part of the Matrix--for now!
1,030 posts, read 1,177,419 times
Reputation: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayneinspain View Post
All. Everyone. Not just a portion of the populace that happens to not be a Muslim female.

We have ONE system of law, and it should apply to everyone, period.
Are you an American? Because if you are then how can you say such a thing with a straight face? The vast majority of Americans know that the Law is not applied to everyone equally. So why condemn Shariah Law for its perceived inequalities, when inequality is all pervasive throughtout American law? Just look at how American law treats African-Americans, Latinos and the poor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2010, 11:29 PM
 
Location: part of the Matrix--for now!
1,030 posts, read 1,177,419 times
Reputation: 327
[quote=Sgoldie;15454000Sharia family law in the UK only grants a woman half the inheritance her brother gets for starters. Why they want to go along with that is beyond me[/quote]

Have you bothered to ask a Muslim female how she feels about Shariah Law? I'm sure their position on itdiffers from yours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2010, 12:06 AM
 
Location: Happy wherever I am - Florida now
3,359 posts, read 10,909,466 times
Reputation: 3838
Do the women who submit to sharia law have a choice or would they be beaten or killed by their male family members if they didn't ?

I don't know too many women who would relish the thought of being killed as punishment for being a victim because some man had raped them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top