U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 07:31 PM

2,782 posts, read 3,732,802 times

Advertisements

Our laws, are better, and more just, then the laws Muhammad made up..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2010, 07:35 PM

30,883 posts, read 31,769,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imanway View Post
I guarantee you that you will not lose your freedom as long as you are alive, stay well
Sorry, but I would not trust you guarantee...Not at all...

I do not ever want to see sharia in any form in my country, and the reasons are in this video...

YouTube - Wafa Sultan on Sharia

Old 08-01-2010, 09:38 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,198,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tama View Post
It is interesting that people who follow a particular religious dogma use that reasoning in their arguments against the views of those who don't subscribe to that dogma. It could be Islam or Christianity or paganism. It is an exercise in futility. How can the supposed benefits of Sharia law, based on precepts that are untenable to us, in any way advance the argument? We simply don't buy the original premise of such a condition--religious authority over a citizen's daily life.

What might be more to the point is how or should a secular society accomodate a group whose fundamental mores conflict with the traditional values and beliefs of the society. We can't keep out the world. Sharia law is the least of our worries.

Our early immigration was from countries with Judeo-Christian values and common aspirations and a desire to assimilate. With current immigration law people are arriving with far different outlooks, religious tenets, and cultural persuasions. Basic beliefs--egalitarianism, gender equality, rights of children, secular institutions, no cruel or inhumane punishment, civil rights, and even animal protection can all be undermined if accomodation is followed.

Yet, to not accomodate imposes other problems. We accomodate certain rites and practices of the Native Americans. What happens to the Somali cab driver who refuses to transport someone who has wine from the duty-free shop? Honor killings, child marriage, women clothed from head to toe in medieval garb----do you want this in your society? No--but how do you justify refusing them the freedom to live as they believe? France has decided to enact a law against the muslim veil to protect "its secular values". Is this the way to go? We better decide fast.
Yes, that is the way to go. All cultures are not equal. Female genital mutilation, honor killings, stoning, forced marriages, acceptable domestic violence? They must assimilate. We have laws in the West against these sorts of things.

Old 08-02-2010, 11:24 PM

11,798 posts, read 21,981,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imanway View Post
I guarantee you that you will not lose your freedom as long as you are alive, stay well
How can you make such a guarantee? I think I would be one of the first to be killed.

Old 08-11-2010, 05:23 PM

8,701 posts, read 11,839,053 times
Pregnant Widow Executed by Taliban in... | Gather

Old 08-11-2010, 05:54 PM

5,906 posts, read 5,186,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
Wait, no, I think maybe they're onto something.

If we implement sharia in the states across the board, not only would we no longer have unwed mothers alive to collect welfare (because sex outside of marriage would be a guaranteed death sentence), their kids would never be born, the need for Sect. 8 housing would evaporate, and males would basically be given a pass to knock up whomever they please without consequence.

Also, since almost no mothers ever win custody in divorce, males would also never have to pay child support...since they'd have all the kids!

Nifty.

Or...NOT.

Old 08-11-2010, 10:02 PM

30,883 posts, read 31,769,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayneinspain View Post
Wait, no, I think maybe they're onto something.

If we implement sharia in the states across the board, not only would we no longer have unwed mothers alive to collect welfare (because sex outside of marriage would be a guaranteed death sentence), their kids would never be born, the need for Sect. 8 housing would evaporate, and males would basically be given a pass to knock up whomever they please without consequence.

Also, since almost no mothers ever win custody in divorce, males would also never have to pay child support...since they'd have all the kids!

Nifty.

Or...NOT.
NOT...so nifty for the kids though...

Old 08-11-2010, 10:34 PM

13,624 posts, read 11,061,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Sorry, but I would not trust you guarantee...Not at all...

I do not ever want to see sharia in any form in my country, and the reasons are in this video...

YouTube - Wafa Sultan on Sharia

it's a plague.. dang no beer in texas!!!! no freekin way.. to hell with sharia

Old 08-11-2010, 11:56 PM

8,701 posts, read 11,839,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
it's a plague.. dang no beer in texas!!!! no freekin way.. to hell with sharia

Whhhaaaaaaat?? No Shiner?

Old 08-12-2010, 12:42 AM

11,798 posts, read 21,981,222 times
No more gin & tonic or single-malt Scotch either. Forget it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam