U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 07:42 PM

10,234 posts, read 13,981,012 times

Advertisements

Muslims tend to keep to themselves. They downplay their religious commitments; in other words, they do not indoctrinate (at least, not aggressively, and not in "public"). They tend to stick to each other socially. And their home lives are very private, very structured and strict. So I image that a lot of contact, even within cyber circles, are not encouraged. Makes it sound rather secretive, which it isn't. But it certainly carries an air of mystery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2010, 08:19 PM

6,837 posts, read 7,895,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
Muslims tend to keep to themselves. They downplay their religious commitments; in other words, they do not indoctrinate (at least, not aggressively, and not in "public"). They tend to stick to each other socially. And their home lives are very private, very structured and strict. So I image that a lot of contact, even within cyber circles, are not encouraged. Makes it sound rather secretive, which it isn't. But it certainly carries an air of mystery.
They are robots, programmed to the will of Allah. It never ceases to amaze me that they continue to post quranic scriptures with the intent to convert, yet they cannot debate anyone on these forums. They have tons of opportunities to do so, yet choose to avoid each and every one. Their noncompliance thus voids their credibility. I understand that there is a language barrier, but I'm sure they have to have something in place to work that out by now.

Last edited by ditchlights; 08-09-2010 at 08:58 PM..

Old 08-10-2010, 03:52 PM

15,847 posts, read 30,349,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
It's true a large amount of Muslims just follow a tradition and are neither extremists nor wanting to change Islam to be more "progressive."
But don't you see? That is the point. True Islam has no need for being "progressive". It is a religion that is complete. Those who believe, believe it to be the WORD OF GOD. How does mankind hope to improve upon God's law or His will? Mankind cannot. So there is no need for change, "improvement" innovation, or as you put it...being "progressive". True Muslims will never change. Because Allah has made it unnecessary.

Quote:
To conform to our way of life, deviation from tradition is mandatory.
...and that my friend, is why they fight us. Because they will not change - they cannot change - they MUST not change. What is written is written and there can be no deviation and it remain Islam. Muslims turn away from "our way of life" as you put it. Extremists kill.

You both have put your finger directly upon the crux of the matter. How is it that you cannot understand this?

20yrsinBranson

Old 08-11-2010, 09:39 AM

1,030 posts, read 1,177,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
I am curious are there any muslims here who can talk about Islam honestly.
Many Christians and Jews are able to see the good and the bad in their religions. Because all religions ought to be striving to over come what is not good. But in order to do that we have to be honest with ourselves.

I am honestly curious....
I'm an African-American moderate Muslim. What do you want to know?

Old 08-11-2010, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
I'm curious, too. I can appreciate that there is a language matter. English not being the primary language, discussion can be awkward but I'm willing to make it as simple as possible - if there are any who can discuss without just posting chunks of the Holy Book as 'Evidence'. but then, there's a lot of Christians who can't do that.
English is my ONLY language. What do you want to know?

Old 08-11-2010, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibumi View Post
This line of thinking does remind me of that classic argument; how communism is the best form of government, in theory.

Trouble is, humans always interpret everything, and if there's an opportunity for greed and lust for power, it's always corrupt. As Winston Churchill said: capitalism is a horrible form of government, but it's better than all the rest.

I'd say this applies to Islam versus Christianity. Islam is based on a rather politically stupid congregation, a group quite willing to bow down to whatever the imans say. And therefore, given absolute power, those guys take and use it. As we see every day in the news.
Totally incorrect. Please refrain from dicussing anything about Islam until you have a basic understanding of what it is you want to criticize.

Old 08-11-2010, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I don't think that Islam has degrees. It is a black or white religion. You are or you aren't. They shun the moderate "modern" mindset as strongly as they shun the extremist mindset.

20yrsinBranson
Islam is a religion of moderation, therefore it is comprised of many different degrees. It is the western mindset that attempts to impose upon Islam the notions of "Black or White," "this or that." But in reality, there are differences of degree not of kind.

But there has come into Islam a Conservative interpretation of the religion. The conservative mindset imposes itself upon the Muslim world and therefore dominates it largely because it has the most economic and political power.

Old 08-11-2010, 11:49 AM

40,056 posts, read 30,520,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
Muslims tend to keep to themselves. They downplay their religious commitments; in other words, they do not indoctrinate (at least, not aggressively, and not in "public").
I don't know if that's true in public, but it certainly isn't true in this forum. Look at the proselytizing threads right here on C-D. You don't have enough fingers on your hands to count them!

Old 08-11-2010, 12:53 PM

56,019 posts, read 54,523,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nietzschean Gangsta View Post
Totally incorrect. Please refrain from dicussing anything about Islam until you have a basic understanding of what it is you want to criticize.
Are you denying that you roast and eat non-Muslim babies?

Old 08-11-2010, 08:22 PM

275 posts, read 670,906 times
Problem with premise of your question is that it totally ignores the cultural differences among followers of Islam. We are not one nation or one culture and we don't share the same history. I grew up in Turkey which is probably one of the most secular nations in the world (please note, the World, not the Islamic world). It has no state religion or sharia law. Women gained right to vote in 1933 (earlier than most European countries) and we have one of the most progressive family laws in the world. So when someone comes up to me and says how come moderates don't condemn terrorism, I get insanely mad. I have absolutely nothing in common with those people who run around blowing themselves up and calling themselves Muslims. Regardless of what they say, we are not following the same religion. So while I condemn any type of terrorism because it is a crime against humanity, it has nothing to do with my religion. While I agree Islam needs to become more tolerant in some countries, you can't ignore the fact that there are serious historical and political problems associated with certain countries who breed these inhuman monsters. Islam is a vehicle not the cause and like most belief based systems, it is open to abuse. But one can't really have an intelligent conversation about this because most people in this country are extremely ignorant. If you open up and read the Koran, you'll see that stories told in it are exactly the same stories you will find in the Old Testament and the Bible. These are all Abrahamic religions – they are all based on same historical figures. If you think Islam is violent, than you should also accept the premise that so is Christianity and Judaism. We are not as different as you think we are. I also agree most Muslims try to keep to themselves. Being a Turk, my family looks very "white America" and I don’t cover. Still I am scared my 4 year old will let it slip in school that we are Muslims. I am worried and scared for him. I don't want him hated for what he believes because the hate breeds more hate. Sorry for the long post. I normally never post in religious posts because I just can't deal with so much hate and ignorance coming from BOTH sides. I have a child to raise and life to live and just want to be left alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or