U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-05-2007, 02:19 PM
 
3,325 posts, read 4,543,193 times
Reputation: 1541

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
I guess the Christian extremist in America, Bosnia, Uganda, Philippines, and other places who kill others that aren't Christian or for going against Christian tenants didn't get that memo.

Only thing i see with this theory is in Iran people vote and Ahmadinijad was elected by the people

The people with REAL power in Iran are the clerics. Ahmadinejad is just a puppet in many ways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-05-2007, 02:44 PM
 
Location: America
6,987 posts, read 15,481,672 times
Reputation: 2067
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
The people with REAL power in Iran are the clerics. Ahmadinejad is just a puppet in many ways.
The clerics do hold the power that is true. Well particularly the Waliyat Al Faqih
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2007, 02:56 PM
 
26 posts, read 108,697 times
Reputation: 24
Just to interject something, Allah and the Christian/Jewish god are not the same entity. You must realize that in Arabia when Mohammed started all of this, Arabia was a pagan land with over 600 gods being worshiped. Allah was the name of the moon god and this is one reason for the crescent on many muslim flags & etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2007, 06:49 PM
 
Location: America
6,987 posts, read 15,481,672 times
Reputation: 2067
Quote:
Originally Posted by maui4me View Post
Just to interject something, Allah and the Christian/Jewish god are not the same entity. You must realize that in Arabia when Mohammed started all of this, Arabia was a pagan land with over 600 gods being worshiped. Allah was the name of the moon god and this is one reason for the crescent on many muslim flags & etc.
I guess the Christian Arabs didn't get this memo, seeing as they say Allah for God as well

secondly my non Arabic speaking friend the GODDESS your speaking about was allat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2007, 06:53 PM
 
Location: southern california
55,665 posts, read 74,612,986 times
Reputation: 48173
yes yes the mid east conflict is a "terrible misunderstanding".
amazing we have the same thing here. we have no crime here, only terrible misunderstandings all done in hawaiian shirts.
ps i got christian arab friends from Iraq, yep, lots and lots of terrible misunderstandings when they lived there.

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 12-05-2007 at 06:57 PM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2007, 12:31 AM
 
26 posts, read 108,697 times
Reputation: 24
Mohammed couldn't stomach the idea of a female supreme diety, so allat was masculinized to Allah. Al-lat means goddess, Allah means god. Allat was considered one of the three daughter of Allah in pagan Arabia along with Manat and Al-'Uzza.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2007, 06:18 AM
 
Location: America
6,987 posts, read 15,481,672 times
Reputation: 2067
Quote:
Originally Posted by maui4me View Post
Mohammed couldn't stomach the idea of a female supreme diety, so allat was masculinized to Allah. Al-lat means goddess, Allah means god. Allat was considered one of the three daughter of Allah in pagan Arabia along with Manat and Al-'Uzza.
So I guess the jewish and christian arabs also worshiped this pretend God then as they also used the word Allah which by the way means THE God, I speak arabic fluently my friend and know Islamic history better than you know yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2008, 03:48 AM
 
44 posts, read 69,265 times
Reputation: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Quote: Islam is the most misunderstood religion in the world.

I have to agree - but I think the most tragic misunderstanding is made by certain followers of Islam, not those who are outside of it. I have "normal" Muslim friends and they always explain away that those people bombing and killing for their religion are not really sticking with the Quran. They try to distance themselves from the "fanatics".

Not to say that non-Muslims don't misunderstand Islam, I just think the results of their misunderstanding don't cost as many lives as the Muslims who misinterpret their own religion.
I would agree to a lot of what you had to say here, but here is a thought. Would you not agree that Bush understanding of christianity (neocons, armegedon, and the whole artful work) helped shed the blood of anywhere between 100,000 and 800,000 iraqis. Actually let me go one step more, isnt the fundementalist evangilical christianity, (a following of around 70 million) is somehow to blame for creating all this mess in the middle east by unconditionally supporting Israel, even when it had shed the blood of hundreds of thousands of palestinians and arabs. No other christian way of life has that unconditional love for agressors, and all is justified because Israel is Gods work on earth, anything they do is ok, because god wants them to kill children, women and infants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2008, 11:09 AM
 
Location: In heart of Islam
118 posts, read 224,743 times
Reputation: 15
I can not believe what you say, you say Islam do so and do well, what would you.

We Muslims are talking you every day and America in particular, are talking about they are doing with Iraq and Palestine, because of the sensible, Christians and you know full well that already very wrong not to say that peace. Are not the governments of Iraq, Palestine and Sudan Finally, unable to repair their own ...

If we talk about mistakes States is very, very much. Important that the person himself does not make mistakes and if a mistake is one I advise you very much. But if talking about Islam is a mistake not true, because you are sane and respected person who you ....

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2008, 05:47 PM
juj
 
Location: Too far from MSG
1,657 posts, read 2,333,695 times
Reputation: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
I left a Wednesday night bible study at our Church one night because the Bible lesson turned into the most hateful, godless, name calling session I had ever seen From what I know, the basic idea of Islam is love (sound familiar) It is also my understanding that ALLAH is the same god we worship. There are radical broken off sects in Islam, just as there are in Christianity. There are cults claiming to be christian, these cults are very dangerous..I pray that the good people of islam don't judge us by some of the famous cults of christianity. IMO . The war in Iraq is not about religion as the governments of the nations want us to think. The war is over oil oil,oil, power,power,power, money, money, money..
What dangerous Christian cults are you talking about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top