U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 03:52 PM

4,083 posts, read 4,436,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
Folks,

Thank you all for your replies. Unfortunately, this is a religion and philosophy forum, which means, that religion and philosophy can be promoted, and for lack of a better word, proselytized.

God bless you all!

Discussing religion is what this forum is about. What you want to do is not discuss but proselytize which is a one sided discussion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2010, 09:39 PM

5,302 posts, read 5,450,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
Discussing religion is what this forum is about. What you want to do is not discuss but proselytize which is a one sided discussion.
We can discuss it, but badgering me is not discussion, it is ineffective.
If you want to ask questions, please do so. I am always available to answer them, and discuss this eschatology. The sole reason for the post.

Old 08-22-2010, 10:05 PM

30,938 posts, read 31,858,221 times
So which sect of Christianity do you think is better than Islam? There are over 30,000 of them.

Quote:
Most of the serious religiously motivated conflicts, mass crimes against humanity and genocides in the 20th century have been between Muslims and Christians. This has included genocides in Bosnia Herzegovina, East Timor, and the Sudan, as well as serious conflicts in Cyprus, Kosovo, Macedonia, and the Philippines. As of late 2009, two of these conflicts (Sudan and Philippines) are still active, and three others are inert only because of peacekeepers on the ground.

It is difficult to compare Christianity to any other religion, because there is such a wide range of beliefs and practices among various wings of Christianity: Roman Catholicism, Eastern Orthodox churches, the Anglican communion and the tens of thousands of Protestant faith groups. Some commentators have suggested that Christianity consists of a number of different religions which share little more than the Bible and the name of their religion. Protestant Christianity is obviously divided into a least liberal and conservative wings -- divisions which hold few beliefs in common.
Comparing and contrasting Christianity and Islam

After reading this, I think a very large part of both Christianity and Islam are horribly wrong. Certainly they cannot all be correct...Personally I don't believe any of them are.

Old 08-22-2010, 10:08 PM

7,088 posts, read 13,075,554 times
Why Islam? both it and christianity are exercises in excretology.

Old 08-22-2010, 10:26 PM

Unfortunately, mankind as a whole, whether it be in any faith or not, causes violence. Mankind has no heart, and evil is embedded into it.
We can't put the blame on either sect alone, but on mankind, as a whole.

Old 08-22-2010, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
So which sect of Christianity do you think is better than Islam? There are over 30,000 of them.

After reading this, I think a very large part of both Christianity and Islam are horribly wrong. Certainly they cannot all be correct...Personally I don't believe any of them are.
You are absolutely right in this matter I believe. I was only addressing eschatological views, not any specific "sect" per se.
Personally, a sect, to be considered Christian, is to believe that Christ, is God in the flesh. In Orthodoxy, that is the primary premise to be part of the "Christian" church. Anything outside of that belief, is not considered.

Old 08-22-2010, 10:59 PM

30,938 posts, read 31,858,221 times
Quote:
You are absolutely right in this matter I believe. I was only addressing eschatological views, not any specific "sect" per se.
Personally, a sect, to be considered Christian, is to believe that Christ, is God in the flesh. In Orthodoxy, that is the primary premise to be part of the "Christian" church. Anything outside of that belief, is not considered.
In that case they are all wrong. Nobody knows the ultimate destiny of mankind or how it will all end. It is certain that one day in the distant future the sun will meet it's demise and take earth with it, but humans may very well be an extinct species by then.

Old 08-23-2010, 06:37 AM

4,083 posts, read 4,436,791 times
Quote:
We can discuss it, but badgering me is not discussion, it is ineffective.
If you want to ask questions, please do so. I am always available to answer them, and discuss this eschatology. The sole reason for the post.
I am not interested in Christianity. I turned my back on it years ago and have never looked back. Christianity like Islam are both religions who arrogantly think they have the only truth and think they need to convert the world. The need to convert the world has at points in history caused violence, pain and suffering. Christianity and Islam are responsible for much of the suffering of the world throughout history.

I don't seek to badger you I just seek to tell you what you have to say is not a discussion but an attempt to pull people to the Christian side.

Christianity has no truth, it is just a religion among many.

Old 08-23-2010, 07:01 AM

430 posts, read 515,689 times
Quote:

This is a wonderful site with a thorough comparison between the two, as well as "within" each sect. I will say that at least Islam seems to be consistent, but then dissention has never been tolerated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
Why Islam? both it and christianity are exercises in excretology.

Quote:
Unfortunately, mankind as a whole, whether it be in any faith or not, causes violence. Mankind has no heart, and evil is embedded into it.
We can't put the blame on either sect alone, but on mankind, as a whole.
However religion seeks to actively capitalize on that failing, embellishing and coordinating the worst character flaws within man for purposes of greed and power. Why not let's call it "Hubrism"?

Quote:
Nobody knows the ultimate destiny of mankind or how it will all end. It is certain that one day in the distant future the sun will meet it's demise and take earth with it, but humans may very well be an extinct species by then.
According to a Campbell34 posted elsewhere, it's all written down for you to learn, sanspeur. You have but to read it and weep.

Please: Can someone carefully define "eschatology" for me and others? I mean, as it pertains to any religion.

Old 08-23-2010, 07:28 AM

39,522 posts, read 11,015,060 times
Eschatology is narrowly the study of the Last Days or End Times specifically in Christian belief, though deriving from the Jewish 'Last Days'
writings and beliefs but with the Saviour Jesus grafted on, rather as Marduk was grafted onto the Sumerian religion.

It can, more widely, be applied to any speculations or research in the ultimate fate of Humanity, Life, the universe and everything, both in other religions or from the scientific point of view.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or