U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 12:30 PM

5,426 posts, read 5,739,268 times

Advertisements

I'm good with Gitmo, if that's what we're talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2010, 12:38 PM

2,333 posts, read 2,512,242 times
Well then the argument was to release the prisoners or not; and there you are; what do I know what these fanatics who cannot make up their minds at solving the poverty of the third world by normal means of trusting others would and could do?

That didn't look like rehabilitation; did it? I'm expecting some incredible argument now.

Old 09-08-2010, 09:09 PM

15,400 posts, read 19,605,180 times
This will simply add "fuel" to the Religious fire currently beginning to consume our world. Why can't people respect others and practice that live and let live attitude. It seems that people are always trying to prove they are better than others or that their religious beliefs are superior to another persons. Seems to me a case of not seeing the trees while looking in the forest.

Old 09-09-2010, 03:48 AM

1,808 posts, read 1,593,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Please define this "negative energy" you speak of, are they going to pray for me to drop dead? To me, negative energy is the post on the battery marked "-", other than that it doesn't exist.
Aside from the metaphysical concept (which I'll explain in a minute), anger is very stressful to the body. Your heart rate increases, your blood pressure rises, and you're flooded with adrenaline, all of which are a strain (albeit a minor one) on the cardiovascular system.

Before I continue, I'll define what I mean by 'energy': the human body is always broadcasting some kind of energy into its immediate environment. Thermal energy, electromagnetic energy, chemical energy, and even emotional energy all radiate from our bodies.

Anyhow....in purely phyiscal terms, negativity is self-defeating; if you keep telling yourself 'I can't' for long enough, eventually your mind will become convinced that you really can't. Likewise, anger is destructive to our emotional well-being, and can prevent us from making rational decisions ('road rage' is one example of anger overriding good sense).

In terms of Wiccan belief, the energy we radiate into the world affects us and our environment. That's the primary reason we're very cautious about cursing people; before we can send the energy out, we have to raise it first, and you can probably imagine what it's like to stew in that much negativity while the ritual progresses!

Old 09-09-2010, 04:14 AM

4,349 posts, read 6,627,970 times
I think this has been blown out of proportion by the press, and is now out of control. We are looking at a segment of the extreme right of the christian religion who is hungry for exposure, and I suspect money. The best way to shut him down is to cut off the cameras and let them die in their own little world. The press has spent weeks discussing the actions of one man and twenty to fifty followers with the total IQ not sufficient to open a door and see the world. There is no question he is feeding on the attention from around the world, and our press just keeps stirring up his addiction to the attention with one article after the other. They will share part of the blame for any people hurt from this fools act.

Old 09-09-2010, 08:48 AM

16,300 posts, read 25,002,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredNotBob View Post
Aside from the metaphysical concept (which I'll explain in a minute), anger is very stressful to the body. Your heart rate increases, your blood pressure rises, and you're flooded with adrenaline, all of which are a strain (albeit a minor one) on the cardiovascular system.
Understand all that FNB, nor is that who I am, this is my chat with some scarey people persona here, but I was really asking what green meant, was he going to 'pray' for me to drop over dead? I suspect so, based on his response, but it's his time to waste in his wishing and hoping.

Last check BP was 106/65 so not to worry.

Old 09-09-2010, 06:26 PM
JL

7,355 posts, read 11,908,987 times
It looks like the pastor chickened out and won't go through with it...we'll see.

Old 09-09-2010, 06:54 PM

9,745 posts, read 14,217,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
Just what the world needs, another holy war.
Some people, on both sides, seem utterly determined to make it a holy war, apparently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
All over burning a book, one little book, now that is idiotic and will show who is a hater. Anyone dumb enough to get violent over the burning of a book is the true hater.
You make a good point. Both sides of this issue are being idiots. While I personally don't care what book someone wants to burn (as long as it's not my copy!), I realize that doing so may be an incredibly bad idea when an small but insane fraction of the other side might take it as a declaration of war. But likewise, that insane fraction needs to grow MUCH thicker skin. If they react violently they will simply be making their religion look even worse, and they've already made it look pretty darn bad. No good can come from this, for either side. It's basically like watching two 8 year old children get into a fight, but their fight could result in many innocent people dying.

Old 09-09-2010, 08:19 PM

2,782 posts, read 3,737,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Keeping the hatred alive.... What are they thinking? Can you imagine the uproar if a mosque had a bible burning?

CBC News - World - U.S. general condemns Qur'an-burning plan
I think it would be quite funny, if they started burning bibles...

Old 09-09-2010, 08:45 PM

7,525 posts, read 14,926,666 times
What the preacher should say is that he has a change in heart. He isn't going to burn 200 korans in one pile. Instead, he will only burn ONE koran at a time. he will only burn that one for every time the terrorists behead a captive; execute a woman for adultry; or, blow up someone in the name of Allah. Tie each burning of each book with a single event. He will be out of books by the end of the year and how could anyone say that what he did was MORE evil that beheading a journalist or stoning a woman to death.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam