U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 09:55 AM

6,772 posts, read 11,914,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Occam's Bikini Wax View Post
Macmuz, there is already a mosque very close to ground zero. Where's your outrage about that? And denverian brings up excellent points as well, plus you didn't address whether or not you'd have a hissy fit about a christian church being built near the Oklahoma bombing site. And how can you think for one minute that auschwitz is NOT a shrine to the Nazis, or that pearl harbor is NOT a memorial to the Japanese?

Go do some informative reading that isn't fanaticist sites. Perhaps start with this insightful article: Got Medieval: Professor Newt's Distorted History Lesson
Timothy McVeigh blowing up the federal building had nothing to do w/ Christianity. That was political.

Old 09-09-2010, 10:03 AM

19,025 posts, read 22,283,370 times
This will be long........
Cruelty in the Quran

Old 09-09-2010, 11:23 AM

1,114 posts, read 1,028,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cl723 View Post
No. It`s a slap in the face to those families who had loved ones die in the attack and just a slap in the face towards Americans, period.
Would you object to a church being built there? Surely it would be a slap in the face to all who died in the attack. After all, it was the "crazy god-believers" who caused all this. If it weren't for the outlandish beliefs of those who believe in the god of Abraham, then this would not have happened. If you can't make the distinction between extremist Muslims and every other Muslim, then why should we leave out all believers in the god of Abraham? Or all theists period?

Old 09-09-2010, 12:04 PM

3,684 posts, read 4,294,124 times
I don't think they SHOULD -- but I also know it's within their Constitutional rights to do so. Much like the dirtbag currently planning to burn some Korans there are some things which shouldn't be done, but we can't really stop them if we wish to maintain the Constitution.

Old 09-09-2010, 12:55 PM

7,816 posts, read 10,719,516 times
Greetings, folks.

The OP of this thread is specifically asking whether or not the Mosque should (or should not) be built near Ground Zero. THAT is what the debate should be about, not "Islam bashing" and/or other off topic posts, but rather, addressing the OP.

Please keep it on topic!

Thanks...

Old 09-09-2010, 01:22 PM

4,439 posts, read 8,215,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
do you think the muslim community should build community center, mosque near 911 site
Should? meh.. probably not the best site for obvious reasons..

however, it is their right.. so go to it.

Quote:
should there be compromise on both sides
The only compromise would be if the group decided NOT to build there. I don't believe they should compromise. They have their right.. just like Westboro freaks have their right... just like the jort wearing j-hole in Florida has his right.. etc etc.

Quote:
it's not about having the right to do it, it's about being richus..
I totally disagree. This nation is about "rights". They have met all the standards to build there. As far as I know the building isn't being funded through nefarious organizations.

I know it upsets some.. but the litmus test for building structures in this country is NOT based on "OMG IF THEY BUILD THE BUILDING WE'LL ALL BE LIVING UNDER SHARIA LAW".

Old 09-09-2010, 01:52 PM

13,624 posts, read 11,081,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
Should? meh.. probably not the best site for obvious reasons..

however, it is their right.. so go to it.

The only compromise would be if the group decided NOT to build there. I don't believe they should compromise. They have their right.. just like Westboro freaks have their right... just like the jort wearing j-hole in Florida has his right.. etc etc.

I totally disagree. This nation is about "rights". They have met all the standards to build there. As far as I know the building isn't being funded through nefarious organizations.

I know it upsets some.. but the litmus test for building structures in this country is NOT based on "OMG IF THEY BUILD THE BUILDING WE'LL ALL BE LIVING UNDER SHARIA LAW".
well i can almost guarantee that if they build it, is going to start a new war in this country. maybe thats what they want. there's like 100 mosques in new york whats the big deal with building it somewhere else in the city, they are surly doing a good job at teeing off millions of americans. and i can assure you if they procede as planed you will see a lot more than a few qu'rans buring.!!! and the new war begins. religion the worst thing that ever happened to man kind.

Old 09-09-2010, 02:26 PM

497 posts, read 796,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
Timothy McVeigh blowing up the federal building had nothing to do w/ Christianity. That was political.
If christians insist on Muslims taking responsibility for what Muslim terrorists do, then christians must take responsibility for what christian terrorists do. To do otherwise is completely hypocritical.

Old 09-09-2010, 03:08 PM

4,439 posts, read 8,215,606 times
Quote:
well i can almost guarantee that if they build it, is going to start a new war in this country.
A new war between who?

Quote:
maybe thats what they want.
I'm pretty sure the builders of a community center don't want a war with.. who was that again?

Quote:
there's like 100 mosques in new york whats the big deal with building it somewhere else in the city
So it sounds like adding 1 more won't be that big of a deal then. Although I do enjoy the use of "we have X of this thus we don't need any more" arguments. I'm sure that is the path many Christians in this country do NOT want to go down.

Quote:
they are surly doing a good job at teeing off millions of americans.
they can't tee them off. Only the millions of Americans can allow themselves to be teed off..

Quote:
and i can assure you if they procede as planed you will see a lot more than a few qu'rans buring.!!!
thus reinforcing the image that we are a nation incapable of reason

Quote:
and the new war begins. religion the worst thing that ever happened to man kind.
is the war you referenced earlier pertaining to this war? some sort or religious war like the crusades? I gotta say I don't buy it.

There will be people who have their panties in a wad ..sure. Most likely these people are "birthers". Just something else for them to complain about.

Until someone can provide a legal reason for them not to build it there.. I see no problem with it.

Old 09-09-2010, 03:47 PM

51,852 posts, read 29,939,051 times
The mosque should NOT be built near ground zero, it doesn't belong there, or anywhere else in the United States, as far as I'm concerned.

Before anyone brings the "Freedom of religion", let me just say that I have nothing against that freedom that was given to us in the constitution, and that was given to us so that Christians, Jews, and even atheists would not be persecuted for their beliefs, however, it was not given for the purpose of teaching a violent idealogy that encourages killing those who do not believe in the same principles. Yes, I know that not all Muslims believe in those principles, in fact many are just as peaceful as the rest of us, however, we cannot trust their so-called "Imams" to teach the same peaceful principles to that their children, who are so impressionable, and can easily be influenced to believe that the ideology of violence to spread their beliefs are acceptable. That's the key element everyone should be just as concerned about, besides the location. We won't know what they're going to teach those kids, and God forbid, in the future we may have to contend with suicide bombers walking around in crowded places in the United States, with explosives strapped to their belts, and possibly IEDs on the roads, the same ones our military in Iraq and Afghanistan are having to deal with all the time.

Many also seem to have forgotten September 11th, 2001, when the events were being broadcast on TV around the world, and in one video clip I clearly remember, was a crowd of Muslims, who were cheering as the attacks were taking place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or