U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 03:51 PM

2,333 posts, read 2,512,852 times

Advertisements

The latest I hear is that they ARE NOT going to build the mosque there, because of Man's duty to man. Duty at a bifurcation will allow the scientific side of humanity to progress to ever greater mysteries.

Old 09-09-2010, 04:38 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,393,509 times
Myth, do you know anything about the muslim religion? have you even studied for yourself?

Old 09-09-2010, 04:45 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,393,509 times
I just think that a lot of people are ignorant to the muslim religion and they think they know what it`s all about but they don`t. They think that it is a religion of peace.

Old 09-10-2010, 12:59 AM

3,487 posts, read 6,376,249 times
Look people - very few people in NYC think it is a big deal. Nobody even discusses this. If you are from anywhere not NYC, and you oppose this, then you have your right to your own opinion. But recognize this fact - this has nothing to do with you.

My opinion? Rename it a "American Cultural Center". Build it.

"At Cordoba House, we envision shared space for community activities, like a swimming pool, classrooms and a play space for children. There will be separate prayer spaces for Muslims, Christians, Jews and men and women of other faiths. The center will also include a multifaith memorial dedicated to victims of the Sept. 11 attacks."

If you do not want it built, you are also against Christianity and Judaism (see above).

In any case it can't cause more friction than having Israel smack in the middle of the Middle East, which we seem to be okay with.

Old 09-10-2010, 07:49 AM

40,056 posts, read 30,583,521 times
The truth of the matter is that the local community board in that part of Manhattan voted its approval for the mosque. Its construction is worthless as a religious debate. As a political issue, that's another story altogether. It demonstrates a blatant "in your face" attitude.

And miyu, that last comment about Israel wasn't necessary. At all.

Old 09-10-2010, 09:20 AM

4,439 posts, read 8,216,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
The mosque should NOT be built near ground zero, it doesn't belong there, or anywhere else in the United States, as far as I'm concerned.
Sure it should

Quote:
Before anyone brings the "Freedom of religion", let me just say that I have nothing against that freedom that was given to us in the constitution
Yes you do.. (see above).. you just stated you do.

Quote:
it was not given for the purpose of teaching a violent idealogy that encourages killing those who do not believe in the same principles.
Really? Cause the old testament has some pretty brutal things in it..

Tell me.. who uses the Old Testament? Compare and contrast those users with those who are allowed to practice their religion in the United States.

Quote:
Yes, I know that not all Muslims believe in those principles
but from your standpoint you'd like to outlaw Islam completely based on the actions of the minority.. Makes total sense.

Quote:
Yes, I know that not all Muslims believe in those principles, in fact many are just as peaceful as the rest of us
Screw it ya know.. kick em' out. Am I right? <--Sarcasm

Quote:
however, we cannot trust their so-called "Imams" to teach the same peaceful principles to that their children, who are so impressionable, and can easily be influenced to believe that the ideology of violence to spread their beliefs are acceptable.
Yet we allow the Westboro folks to remain in the country. America sure is strange like that. Or is it?

Quote:
That's the key element everyone should be just as concerned about
I bet that community center puts out some mean terrorists from their culinary institute..

Quote:
We won't know what they're going to teach those kids
Like what if they are taught to Julianne some peppers. OMG THEY'LL HAVE KNIFE SKILLZ!

Quote:
in the future we may have to contend with suicide bombers walking around in crowded places in the United States
Like Eric Rudolph. I totally agree with you... based on what you've told me and how a minority few can represent an entire religion I think it is totally necessary for the government to play close attention to each and every house of worship in the United States (including Christian churches). Hey look.. you have very few Christians who have taken out acts of violence.. but you know.. we just can't be too careful. We should just go ahead and believe that those relatively few represent the entire faith.

Quote:
Many also seem to have forgotten September 11th, 2001, when the events were being broadcast on TV around the world, and in one video clip I clearly remember, was a crowd of Muslims, who were cheering as the attacks were taking place.
Yeah!!! U.S. Domestic policy should TOTALLY be made based on the actions of cheering from other people around the world.

Old 09-10-2010, 11:15 AM

40,252 posts, read 26,848,697 times
Bigthirsty,

Islam is NOT just a religion . . . it is a deen (arabic word . . . research it). It is a total GOVERNMENT. It is one thing to tolerate different religions with our sovereign state . . . but NOT different governments! IT insidiously seeks to infiltrate and replace our secular government wherever they achieve a dominant population density. Europe is learning the folly of their tolerance of this intolerant deen the hard way. Your intentions and sentiments are admirable . . . but they are misplaced and will ultimately lead to our downfall. They are deceitful and do not play fair. Any tolerance they profess and display is strictly for show as a "truce" while they increase their presence and power within their communities. Those who have ears to hear and eyes to see . . .

Old 09-10-2010, 01:14 PM

7,916 posts, read 16,822,461 times
MagnumMike wrote:
Quote:
The mosque should NOT be built near ground zero, it doesn't belong there, or anywhere else in the United States, as far as I'm concerned.
So then I guess you don't believe in the freedom of religion that we have in this country. I personally don't think a mosque at this particular location is a good idea but I also think that it's importance is greatly exaggerated by the political right. There are many people who don't want to see a mosque built anywhere in this country and share the feelings of MagnumMike. We even have a big controversy about a mosque that's being built in a suburb of Nashville and somebody set fire to some machinery at the work site the other day and yet there's not even any reason it should be controversial at all. My main concern is that if the mosque is finally built near ground zero that some fanatics will try to destroy it which could cause a lot of tension and fear among American Muslims and stir up more terrorists around the world.

Old 09-10-2010, 01:37 PM

13,624 posts, read 11,082,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
MagnumMike wrote:

So then I guess you don't believe in the freedom of religion that we have in this country. I personally don't think a mosque at this particular location is a good idea but I also think that it's importance is greatly exaggerated by the political right. There are many people who don't want to see a mosque built anywhere in this country and share the feelings of MagnumMike. We even have a big controversy about a mosque that's being built in a suburb of Nashville and somebody set fire to some machinery at the work site the other day and yet there's not even any reason it should be controversial at all. My main concern is that if the mosque is finally built near ground zero that some fanatics will try to destroy it which could cause a lot of tension and fear among American Muslims and stir up more terrorists around the world.

and that is the main reason why it should not be built at that particular site, if they go along with this and build the community center, mosque, proves that they know no compromise. they can clearly see that it's causing upheaval amonst millions of people american and muslim alike. they should have backed down months ago. and this whole thing would be over.

i'm so teed off about it now.!! that if they go ahead and build it,, i say have a qu'ran barbecue. at least that way it will flush out radical islamics. the ones that only know violence as a means of getting a message of fear across. just like the imam stated in his interview..

Old 09-12-2010, 02:49 PM

1,730 posts, read 2,202,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret111 View Post
How's it a slap in the face? It's not being built on Ground Zero, nor is it being assembled from the wreckage of any of the planes. It's just a mosque. They own the land and they can do what they want with it. I really don't see how this is an issue at all. Appealing to peoples' emotions is a logical fallacy.
How about allowing 1 mosque anywhere in the USA per 1 Christian church any Muslim nation allows to be built and operated in its borders WITHOUT HARASSMENT OR PERSECUTION? Now there is tolerance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or