U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-15-2010, 11:11 AM
 
6,039 posts, read 9,456,952 times
Reputation: 3945

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmessage View Post
in islam we have Quran and hadith as reference

what reference do you have for your believes?
Some of us can be good people without needing an archaic instruction book to tell us what to do and think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-15-2010, 11:25 AM
 
Location: Log home in the Appalachians
10,513 posts, read 10,329,656 times
Reputation: 6870
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
No.

Ahhhh MC, no disrespect to you,but to those of us that do believe in a deity of some sort, prayer is whatever we make it to be, it is my belief that we decide what is a prayer and what isn't, it's an individual choice and decision. Who am I to say how another person should pray or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2010, 11:31 AM
 
6,039 posts, read 9,456,952 times
Reputation: 3945
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
Ahhhh MC, no disrespect to you,but to those of us that do believe in a deity of some sort, prayer is whatever we make it to be, it is my belief that we decide what is a prayer and what isn't, it's an individual choice and decision. Who am I to say how another person should pray or not.
I could call a rose a daisy, too, but that wouldn't make it so. Tossing a quarter to a homeless guy isn't praying.


PRAYER: –noun

1. a devout petition to god or an object of worship.

2. a spiritual communion with God or an object of worship, as in supplication, thanksgiving, adoration, or confession.

3. the act or practice of praying to God or an object of worship.

4. a formula or sequence of words used in or appointed for praying: the Lord's Prayer.

5. prayers, a religious observance, either public or private, consisting wholly or mainly of prayer.

6. that which is prayed for.

7. a petition; entreaty.

8. the section of a bill in equity, or of a petition, that sets forth the complaint or the action desired.

9. a negligible hope or chance: Do you think he has a prayer of getting that j
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2010, 11:39 AM
 
Location: Log home in the Appalachians
10,513 posts, read 10,329,656 times
Reputation: 6870
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
I could call a rose a daisy, too, but that wouldn't make it so. Tossing a quarter to a homeless guy isn't praying.


PRAYER: –noun

1. a devout petition to god or an object of worship.

2. a spiritual communion with God or an object of worship, as in supplication, thanksgiving, adoration, or confession.

3. the act or practice of praying to God or an object of worship.

4. a formula or sequence of words used in or appointed for praying: the Lord's Prayer.

5. prayers, a religious observance, either public or private, consisting wholly or mainly of prayer.

6. that which is prayed for.

7. a petition; entreaty.

8. the section of a bill in equity, or of a petition, that sets forth the complaint or the action desired.

9. a negligible hope or chance: Do you think he has a prayer of getting that j
okay, you look at it from an academic point of view, I look at it from a spiritual point of view, who's to say who's right and who's wrong.

A rose is a rose, only because that's what you were taught.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2010, 12:09 PM
 
439 posts, read 482,202 times
Reputation: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
I can see that you do not understand the concept of free will, the freedom to worship the Creator in whatever manner that is right for you or me whichever the case may be. As I said before I do not believe in any sacred book that was written by man and that includes your Qur"an or even the Christian sacred book or any supposedly sacred book written by man. These are man's words and opinions and are subject to all the fallacies of humankind. I need no references to believe in my Creator. Your religion is but an infant compared to my belief, yours is only 1500 years old, Christianity is but 2000 years old and Judaism is but 4000 years old, my belief is over 100,000 years old and it is written upon our hearts and spirit, I need no written word to pray to my Creator.

the religion without a true reference is like a city without police and without court and without laws.

it is a mess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2010, 12:11 PM
 
439 posts, read 482,202 times
Reputation: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Some of us can be good people without needing an archaic instruction book to tell us what to do and think.
a good thing can be good for some and can be bad for some.

there must be a reference to close the dispute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2010, 12:15 PM
 
6,039 posts, read 9,456,952 times
Reputation: 3945
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmessage View Post
a good thing can be good for some and can be bad for some.

there must be a reference to close the dispute.
Those who need a religious book to tell them what is right and wrong are weak-minded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2010, 12:15 PM
 
Location: Log home in the Appalachians
10,513 posts, read 10,329,656 times
Reputation: 6870
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmessage View Post
the religion without a true reference is like a city without police and without court and without laws.

it is a mess.
our laws and customs are separate from our belief, we do not mix the two together and it has been that way for over 100,000 years. Like I said before, your religion is but an infant and like an infant you have much to learn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2010, 02:04 PM
 
439 posts, read 482,202 times
Reputation: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
our laws and customs are separate from our belief, we do not mix the two together and it has been that way for over 100,000 years. Like I said before, your religion is but an infant and like an infant you have much to learn.

what do you have to proof what you are doing is correct ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2010, 02:36 PM
 
Location: Log home in the Appalachians
10,513 posts, read 10,329,656 times
Reputation: 6870
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmessage View Post
what do you have to proof what you are doing is correct ?
I don't have the kind of proof that you would understand, understand I am talking about a spiritual belief, not something that's written down in any book, my proof is in my spirit and my heart, it is the spiritual belief of my ancestors that has come down through the generations for hundreds of thousands of years, this is something that I was born with and have always known.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top