U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 09:12 PM

9,334 posts, read 19,460,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muslim22 View Post
I agree with u it goes both ways.That is why I stopped watching the news and started to read more.But to be honest,there are some Arabic media such as Aljazeerah will show u stuff about victims in Palstaine and Iraq.But honestly since I came here,I have never seen something about the victims of Arabs in the news.Rather than bringing those victims,they focus on the bad Muslims.I saw that documentary and I saw Fehrenhait documentary movie,but I don't know if it is real.
If you can provide links to mainstream middle eastern media (aljazeera include) that show that many people in the middle east are against the terrorist attacks or against terrorists that shame their religion you would do your religion proud... I think many in the west are waiting to see this and would welcome this.. instead of the constant negative press on muslim countries (e.g. stoning of women)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2010, 03:56 AM

19,786 posts, read 19,891,223 times
I just typed in "muslims denounce acts of terrorism" in Google to see what there is substantial, if anything, about public condemnation from the Muslim community.
It appears that there is but why is it not prominant?
Westboro's puny little demonstrations and the Koran burning by a church in Florida with a small handful of members get worldwide press....why not something as important as this?

Old 12-30-2010, 05:37 AM

9,334 posts, read 19,460,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
I just typed in "muslims denounce acts of terrorism" in Google to see what there is substantial, if anything, about public condemnation from the Muslim community.
It appears that there is but why is it not prominant?
Westboro's puny little demonstrations and the Koran burning by a church in Florida with a small handful of members get worldwide press....why not something as important as this?
Perhaps its not as massive as the demonstrations we saw covered in our media of Americans PROTESTING the pending attack on Iraq! I was in that crowd of people protesting in NY against the pending attack. The city streets were packed.

Old 12-30-2010, 05:52 AM

19,786 posts, read 19,891,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Perhaps its not as massive as the demonstrations we saw covered in our media of Americans PROTESTING the pending attack on Iraq! I was in that crowd of people protesting in NY against the pending attack. The city streets were packed.
Case in point......coverage of that does not even come to mind.Underplayed?
I like tinfoil hats......is the hatred between being propogated as a political ploy?

Old 04-02-2011, 09:14 PM

8,036 posts, read 4,199,055 times
The problems being glossed over here are that every predominantly Muslim gives it's citizens significantly less freedom to live their lives as they see fit than nations that are not predominantly Muslim. Speaking ill of Mohammed, the Koran or against Islam in general isn't just going to get you lynched in those countries, in nations like Pakistan the government will put you to death themselves. The authorities in Saudi Arabia the Mutaween Police (religious police) will waste no time punishing any girl or woman who isn't covered to their satisfaction. In one case, the Mutaween stopped 15 girls from fleeing a burning school because they were not covered the Islam-o-Nazi squad's satisfaction. The Mutaween was criticized, but never punished for it insofar as I'm aware.

A member of the Mutaween cut out his own daughter's tongue and then burned her alive because she had converted to Christianity and dared to argue back when her father confronted her about it. No word on if the man was ever actually punished for brutally murdering his daughter. The typical practice in Saudi Arabia is six months in prison -- to put a good face on things I suppose. They may not have punished him at all since he was technically doing his Islamic duty by executing a traitor to Islam:

When Mohammed was asked what should be done with a man who had turned his back on Islam and returned to Judaism, "the prophet" Mohammed said, "Whoever changes his religion, kill him". (Bukhari) And in case you were wondering, yes the reverting Jew was killed.

Now for the longest time I didn't want to believe that the Koran specifically commands that defectors from Islam must be put to death. I guess I wanted to believe that it was just psychotic extremism or general over-zealousness. So I asked a few Muslims (on Umah.com, top search result for "Muslim Forum") where the practice of killing apostates came from and they referenced that same passage and proudly affirmed that they would happily be and executioner for Allah if they needed to be. My opinion of Islam has been severely tainted by learning of this ever since. (Shortly thereafter I was banned from the site for completely made-up reasons, which I found very amusing.)

The underlying matter is that in far too many cases, Islamic nations do not give people a choice -- if people fail to live by Islamic teachings and anyone notices, they are punished for it. Women are more likely to be victimized by Islam-o-Nazism than men, but both men and women are kept in line by threat of violence.

The general teachings of Islam teach adherents to be good people and for the most part any Muslim who follows the Koran in his life will treat others with charity, respect and dignity. I've known a lot of very good people who were Muslims. But the practice of executing apostates as a tenent of Islam creates a massively unequal interfaith dialogue: A Muslim can earnestly try to convert me to his faith and I as a Christian can earnestly try to convert him to my faith, but he's the only one of us that stands a very good chance of being killed if I succeed and he converts to Christianity.

Personal experience: Every former Muslim member of my faith I've ever met was in hiding because some member of their family was actively trying to hunt them down and kill them.

The underlying thing that disturbs me about today's Islam is that it actively seeks to take away people's right to choose how to live their lives as they see fit.

Christianity USED TO BE guilty of pretty much everything we criticize in Islam, but Christendom has pretty much grown out of it. Islam as a whole SERIOUSLY needs to do the same and I hope they do.

Old 04-02-2011, 09:42 PM

8,036 posts, read 4,199,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nawary View Post
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
and what did you call what happend in Iraq and Afganistan
>> That U.S terrorism ??!! isnt it?? no , we cant judg about people in what the bad of them have done >> Think about it
The fact of the matter is, the United States of America is a great big scary tiger. As a general practice, kicking a tiger is considered to be a very bad idea. Afghanistan rather stupidly kicked the tiger anyways and got mauled for it. Resistance against the US forces since has employed guerrilla tactics, going out of their way to get the USA to do things that they knew would outrage Afghanistani Muslims.

Iraq was certainly taunted the tiger, but for the most part they were just standing by when Al Qeda, the Taliban and Afghanistan kicked the tiger. Tigers can be awfully unreasonable when you **** them off.

Israel is surrounded on all sides by Muslim nations that would love nothing better than to see them eradicated. The Palestinians plight is very real: They are an oppressed people. Unfortunately their tactics send all the wrong messages. Sending human bombs into daycares and school buses rapidly erodes the non-Muslim world's sympathies. At the same time, Israel knows that they can't afford to let their fight against Palestinian insurgents to turn into a war of attrition -- and for that reason IMHO I think they always make sure to kill more Palestinians every time they retaliate against a Palestinian terrorist attack. Hamas and other anti-Israeli groups help them look justified in doing so by retreating into populated areas and storing weapons in hospitals. Hamas and company want the outrage they know they'll see when Israel attacks those locations.

Muslims of the world are generally pretty pissed off by Israeli occupation of Palestine. I have a thought: If the Muslims of the world will give back all the religious holy cities and other property they took by force, then I guess I could agree to dragging the Israelis out of Palestine -- kicking and screaming if necessary. Just give back:
Jerusalem to the Christians.
Alexandria to the Christians.
Antioch to the Christians.
Constantinople to the Christians.
Rebuild the Buddas of Bamiyan.
Return and/or make reparations for all property stolen during the Armenian Holocaust.
Get Turkey to publicly acknowledge that the Armenian Holocaust actually happened, get them to apologize for it and force them to make reparations for the wrongful deaths to the Armenian people.

... I could go on. The point is, Muslim's world-view is colored by a heavy pro-Muslim bias. They want Palestine to be returned to Muslim control, but I doubt they'd be willing to hand back everything Islam took by military conquest and/or genocide. If you want to be fair, it has to go both ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam