U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-27-2010, 04:32 AM
 
Location: Florida
19,819 posts, read 19,916,125 times
Reputation: 23222

Advertisements

The reason you give for many things is that it is better for women.....that your ways provide more care,concern and protection for them.
In some ways that is understandable and perhaps even actually better for them (in the matter of safety)
What you are ignoring is that true freedom and equality is having the ability to reject this protectionism and assume resposibility for oneself.
It is true that a caged bird may be safer than a free one but even a bird will most often choose freedom if given the opportunity
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-27-2010, 04:40 AM
 
Location: Victoria, BC.
30,882 posts, read 31,776,624 times
Reputation: 12629
Look Muslim, I really don't care what your poll says, or what your hand picked quotes in the Quran say...Actions speak much louder that words....Watch the video I posted. It is only a tiny sample of the severe oppression of women in Islamic counties...How many women are in prison as we speak for the "crime" of being raped? How many have been executed for that same "crime"?

How many have been whipped by men for the "sin" of wearing pants, or other "improper" clothing... How many young women have been severely punished or killed for the "crime" of being alone with a boy the family does not approve of?

You can quote polls or your quran until you are blue in the face, but what you say does not match what we see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2010, 04:42 AM
 
Location: Victoria, BC.
30,882 posts, read 31,776,624 times
Reputation: 12629
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
The reason you give for many things is that it is better for women.....that your ways provide more care,concern and protection for them.
In some ways that is understandable and perhaps even actually better for them (in the matter of safety)
What you are ignoring is that true freedom and equality is having the ability to reject this protectionism and assume resposibility for oneself.
It is true that a caged bird may be safer than a free one but even a bird will most often choose freedom if given the opportunity
Well in the Muslim world the caged bird is in greatest danger from those that are supposed to love and protect her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2010, 04:43 AM
 
4,083 posts, read 4,426,733 times
Reputation: 807
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muslim22 View Post
So,What exactly do Muslim women say about themselves in relation to the issue of oppression? In 2005, a World Gallup Poll[SIZE=3][1][/SIZE] entitled, What women Want: Listening to the voices of Muslim Woman, revealed that the majority of women polled, in predominantly Muslim countries resented lack of unity among Muslim nations, violent extremism, and political and economic corruption. The headscarf or hijab, or any garment covering the face and body, often depicted as a tool of oppression was not even mentioned.



If it was the way u were saying and they were oppressed,they would mention it in the study above.And the verses from the Quran to show u that in Islam women gets their rights.And these are my refrences Quran and Sunna.Thankx
Again do you not understand what oppression is?

Oppression is the exercise of authority or power in a burdensome, cruel, or unjust manner.[1] It can also be defined as an act or instance of oppressing, the state of being oppressed, and the feeling of being heavily burdened, mentally or physically, by troubles, adverse conditions, and anxiety.
Oppression is a popular topic in debates, such as in the QDU league in secondary schools. This article is often used to assist in defining oppression.

In Iran, SA, Afghanistan women are beaten and arrested for not dressing Islamically. This is oppression pure and simple.

Do you think in regimes like Iran they dare speak out against their government policies?

Do you think women dare speak out against the taliban in Afghanistan?

You are missing the point.

These are human rights abuses and are well documented.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2010, 04:49 AM
 
122 posts, read 126,849 times
Reputation: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Look Muslim, I really don't care what your poll says, or what your hand picked quotes in the Quran say...Actions speak much louder that words....Watch the video I posted. It is only a tiny sample of the severe oppression of women in Islamic counties...How many women are in prison as we speak for the "crime" of being raped? How many have been executed for that same "crime"?

How many have been whipped by men for the "sin" of wearing pants, or other "improper" clothing... How many young women have been severely punished or killed for the "crime" of being alone with a boy the family does not approve of?

You can quote polls or your quran until you are blue in the face, but what you say does not match what we see.
So,as far as I can see u are making a conclusion based on some videos.If u ask me are there some women who are oppressed,I would say yes but it is not the relegion,it is the people AND please notice the word ''Some'' here.And that happens everywhere in the world.
why do u make a conclusion based on a group of people.Are all muslims the same.No,there are good and bad.
Check out the picture which is about the car and the accident
Thankx again
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2010, 05:18 AM
 
Location: Florida
19,819 posts, read 19,916,125 times
Reputation: 23222
Muslim22
What would happen in your family if one of the women refused to cover herself, insisted upon going places by herself,spoke freely to male strangers in the street and declared that she did not believe Islam to be a religion or way of life she wanted to follow?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2010, 05:29 AM
 
Location: Victoria, BC.
30,882 posts, read 31,776,624 times
Reputation: 12629
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muslim22 View Post
So,as far as I can see u are making a conclusion based on some videos.If u ask me are there some women who are oppressed,I would say yes but it is not the relegion,it is the people AND please notice the word ''Some'' here.And that happens everywhere in the world.
why do u make a conclusion based on a group of people.Are all muslims the same.No,there are good and bad.
Check out the picture which is about the car and the accident
Thankx again
Yes I am..Not all Muslims may be bad people, but what do you consider bad? Are you a good Muslim if you do not approve or follow sharia?.Most of those videos have been taken in Islamic nations under sharia law...The people in the videos are all following sharia. There are hundreds of similar videos and no doubt many thousands of similar incidents that were not captured on video.

It IS the Islamic religion that is responsible, because sharia would not exist without it, and it is sharia that sets these barbaric laws that oppress beats, and kill women...

Islam: A Religion Custom Made For Men - International Analyst Network

Over forty women arrested after anti flogging protest - Sudan Tribune: Plural news and views on Sudan

Big Hollywood Blog Archive A Cause Hollywood Ignores: ‘Harry Potter’ Actress In Hiding From Violent Islamists
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2010, 05:39 AM
 
122 posts, read 126,849 times
Reputation: 25
As far as I can see I think she will be mostly looked at as a bad person who is not following her relegion.She will be ignored from the family mostly because she is not obey God and his will here on earth.I will advise her and do my best to convience her about what she should do.I am responsible for her as a man.

She wears Hijab because it is God will not mine.And Islam solves problems in God's point of view not our point of view.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2010, 05:46 AM
 
Location: Florida
19,819 posts, read 19,916,125 times
Reputation: 23222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muslim22 View Post
As far as I can see I think she will be mostly looked at as a bad person who is not following her relegion.She will be ignored from the family mostly because she is not obey God and his will here on earth.I will advise her and do my best to convience her about what she should do.I am responsible for her as a man.

She wears Hijab because it is God will not mine.And Islam solves problems in God's point of view not our point of view.
Ah yes......a perfect example of equality and freedom.
Thank you for making it clear.....to us, as it is obviously not clear to you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2010, 05:49 AM
 
Location: Victoria, BC.
30,882 posts, read 31,776,624 times
Reputation: 12629
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muslim22 View Post
As far as I can see I think she will be mostly looked at as a bad person who is not following her relegion.She will be ignored from the family mostly because she is not obey God and his will here on earth.I will advise her and do my best to convience her about what she should do.I am responsible for her as a man.
This is where you go wrong...No man is responsible for another adult unless they are infirm in some way. Do you also beat your wife when she disobeys you?

Quote:
She wears Hijab because it is God will not mine.And Islam solves problems in God's point of view not our point of view.
Since I am quite sure that Islam was an invention of men (definitely not of women) all of your so called holy rules are not of god...

I guess you ignored my links...Nobody could possibly read that much that fast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top