U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-27-2010, 08:03 AM
 
122 posts, read 126,951 times
Reputation: 25

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
Coercion comes in many forms. It can be the fear of physical harm, psychological harm.

When someone feels that they will lose something important like family, or one feels like they might face physical trauma then it is oppressive.

Many people have spouses they try to convince of one thing or another but what you are talking about is the correct way of following a religion. Islam is the submission to Allah.

You are talking about convincing because if is a religious duty.

Many Muslim women are killed because they did not submit to the will of their husbands, fathers, brothers because they were being told to do something that their family saw as a religious duty.

Woman are killed for not obeying.

There was a picture on the cover of Time magazine of a girl who had her nose and ears cut off because she ran away from her family because she did not want to be forced into a marriage.

I am not saying all Muslim men are like this. I have Muslims friends and they do not have oppressive relationships. But they live in a country where all have basic rights. Women have basic rights and freedoms.

They choose or choose not to wear hijab, or they choose or choose not to work out of the home. They raise families and live what they consider to be a good islamic life. The difference is they have choices, and protections under the law.
Let me get this correct.Are u saying that women follow Islam because they fear of losing their parents or anything like that?If that is what u mean,I don't think that even came to most Muslim women.They found peice in Islam.

For the story of the girl that is an example of how people missuse Islam.Prophet Muhammed said Hadeeth about women shouldn't be forced into marrige.In fact,she has the right to accept or reject the one who proposes to her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-27-2010, 08:05 AM
 
122 posts, read 126,951 times
Reputation: 25
I am a muslim not Slafi as a name because in the Quran God call us Muslims.The Salaf are the first three generation who followed the prophet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2010, 08:07 AM
 
4,083 posts, read 4,430,545 times
Reputation: 807
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muslim22 View Post
Let me get this correct.Are u saying that women follow Islam because they fear of losing their parents or anything like that?If that is what u mean,I don't think that even came to most Muslim women.They found peice in Islam.

For the story of the girl that is an example of how people missuse Islam.Prophet Muhammed said Hadeeth about women shouldn't be forced into marrige.In fact,she has the right to accept or reject the one who proposes to her.
No, that is not what I am saying. I am saying and you have said that women may end up loosing their families.

Originally Posted by Muslim22
As far as I can see I think she will be mostly looked at as a bad person who is not following her relegion.She will be ignored from the family mostly because she is not obey God and his will here on earth.I will advise her and do my best to convience her about what she should do.I am responsible for her as a man.

She wears Hijab because it is God will not mine.And Islam solves problems in God's point of view not our point of view.


What you say about marriage and rights are not followed by many many Muslims and this is also true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2010, 08:10 AM
 
Location: OKC
5,426 posts, read 5,735,330 times
Reputation: 1770
When non-Muslims think of Islam, we don't think of the religion that is contained within the Koran.

We think of the societies that hold themselves out to be Islamic societies. Whether or not those societies are applying the principles of Islam correctly, that is Islam to us.

To many of us, the best example of an Islamic society is Saudi Arabia. Both because it is the official religion of the government, it is the location of Mecca, and the country is almost exclusively Muslim.

So regardless of what Islam may look like inside the Koran, our idea of Islam is based on our knowledge of Saudi Arabia. That interpretation of Islam is what defines the religion for most westerners.

No Jordanian, or Palistinian, or Turkish society. Rightly or wrongly, Saudi Arabia is the face of Islam for the western world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2010, 08:11 AM
 
Location: OKC
5,426 posts, read 5,735,330 times
Reputation: 1770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muslim22 View Post
I am a muslim not Slafi as a name because in the Quran God call us Muslims.The Salaf are the first three generation who followed the prophet.
I see, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2010, 08:16 AM
 
122 posts, read 126,951 times
Reputation: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
When non-Muslims think of Islam, we don't think of the religion that is contained within the Koran.

We think of the societies that hold themselves out to be Islamic societies. Whether or not those societies are applying the principles of Islam correctly, that is Islam to us.

To many of us, the best example of an Islamic society is Saudi Arabia. Both because it is the official religion of the government, it is the location of Mecca, and the country is almost exclusively Muslim.

So regardless of what Islam may look like inside the Koran, our idea of Islam is based on our knowledge of Saudi Arabia. That interpretation of Islam is what defines the religion for most westerners.

No Jordanian, or Palistinian, or Turkish society. Rightly or wrongly, Saudi Arabia is the face of Islam for the western world.
Exactly and I do agree with u on that Saudi Arabia is the face of Islam,but when a Saudi man or women does something wrong,we should go back to the Quran and Sunna to find if what he did is the relegion of Islam or not.Thankx again for your understanding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2010, 10:25 AM
 
Location: Dubai
241 posts, read 432,712 times
Reputation: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
Because there has been much violence in the name of Islam. Terror is all done by Muslims. I have not see any terror carried out by any other group lately, have you? NO you haven't. The world lives in fear waiting for the next big terror attack. Muslims do not care about collateral damage. The twin Towers can attest to that. 3000 innocent people killed. Yet they were a specific and planned target.

Because there is a push for Sharia in countries where the Muslims are gaining a foothold.

Because there is a hatred in Islam of Jews, and Christians, and atheists.

Because in the middle east there is incitement to violence and training of children to kill Jews. The incitement is the same kind in pre WW2 Germany. Not all Jews live in Israel, or always support Israel's policies. Many support policies of peace and hope one day for a 2 state solution and peace in the middle east. There are Jews who work along side Muslims for peace in the middle east.

Because of a belief in world domination of Islam and the inability of Muslims to integrate into their adoptive countries.

Because anytime they feel their prophet has been insulted they become violent and kill people.

Because they back terrorist groups like Hamas and Hesbollah. Because if they didn't these groups would not be able to survive. Hamas continues to shoot rockets into Southern Israel into civilian areas.

Because they continue to join Al Qaidah.

Because Islam does not permit education of women in many countries, and women are forced into marriages or killed for family honor.



I do not see peaceful behavior in any of this and I don't see Muslims rising up against this. All I see is folks like you playing the victim and turning your back on all of these activities like they do not exist.

Muslims are not the victims, in many ways they are the victimizers here.

Moderate Muslims need to rise up and clean their house and then they will have respect because we will no longer fear the violent side of Islam.

I fear an Islamic world and what it would look like and everyone else ought to also.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
you Has proven to me that you are not educated well ... On the other hand we do not force women to marry!! .. And in what you said about Israel, who came and occupied Palestine thats not ture >> ... As for what you said about terrorism and the events of September it indicates the ignorance too .. personally when I saw what happened I was surprised and felt very sad for the victims ... And what was said by al Qaeda about the bombing there are many politic things which are hidding.. ... Even after America excavated in the debris and found the black box .. Why did not display what plucked Fund??
... However, for the false events that took place in September you can see a lot of facts in youtube ....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2010, 10:25 AM
 
Location: egypt
1,215 posts, read 2,040,969 times
Reputation: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
When non-Muslims think of Islam, we don't think of the religion that is contained within the Koran.

We think of the societies that hold themselves out to be Islamic societies. Whether or not those societies are applying the principles of Islam correctly, that is Islam to us.

To many of us, the best example of an Islamic society is Saudi Arabia. Both because it is the official religion of the government, it is the location of Mecca, and the country is almost exclusively Muslim.

So regardless of what Islam may look like inside the Koran, our idea of Islam is based on our knowledge of Saudi Arabia. That interpretation of Islam is what defines the religion for most westerners.

No Jordanian, or Palistinian, or Turkish society. Rightly or wrongly, Saudi Arabia is the face of Islam for the western world.
can i do the same with catholic priests in vatican who used to molest children
can i conclude the teaching of catholic by looking at such examples of priests !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2010, 10:31 AM
 
Location: Dubai
241 posts, read 432,712 times
Reputation: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Why Muslims? Because people are scared about what they don't know. They can't understand how anyone would choose to live in a different manner than they do (ie. hijabs) and they fall for media sensationalism. Just wait for the people clamoring about how moderate Muslims condone terrorism because they do not condemn it no matter how many times we point out where Muslims have condemned acts of terrorism, violence, and extremism.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
and what did you call what happend in Iraq and Afganistan
>> That U.S terrorism ??!! isnt it?? no , we cant judg about people in what the bad of them have done >> Think about it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2010, 10:40 AM
 
Location: Dubai
241 posts, read 432,712 times
Reputation: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
In the western world, women, mothers and students have a choice.....muslim women are told what to wear, denied the opportunity to have jobs, and murdered by their fathers and brothers if they don't adhere to strict rules of behavior. The koran is not holy and it offers no solutions, only evil. Muslims are considered terrorists because they attack innocents on a regular basis. They kill each other in market places, schools, hospitals and buses.......not on battlefields against an armed enemy....just against women and children. Newspapers report the news and are respected, the koran tells lies and have earned no respect. If you are a muslim, you have declared yourself to be my enemy. Your goofy so called holy book says so. Jews will let me believe what I want. Muslims will not. Hindu's will let me believe what I want. Muslims will not.Christians will let me believe what I want. Muslims will not. Pagans will let me believe what I want. Muslims will not. Heathens will let me believe what I want. Muslims will not. Buddhists will let me believe what I want. Muslims will not. Shintoes will let me believe what I want. Muslims will not.All have joined the 21st Century......Muslims have not.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
ha ha ha ha, as if I care !! my enemy ...
but, dont says things, which you not know about quran , please ...

and for your record >> yes I'm a Muslim, but I'm no a terrorists !!!
...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top