U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 03:13 PM

1,215 posts, read 2,039,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
Elwill, with regard to rude and obnoxious speech, you asked "what do you think , is it better to handle these situations or leave it without controll or without limits and without any considerations for its consequences"

Most of us Americans think it is better leave it without controll or without limits and without any considerations for its consequences.

We think it is acceptable to make fun of Jesus in our media, draw cartoons of Muhammed wearing a bomb for a hat, or put a Christian cross in a jar of urine and call it "Pizz Christ".

what about if somone make fun of your mom or your wife , will it acceptable for you either ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2011, 03:25 PM

6,839 posts, read 7,898,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elwill View Post
what about if somone make fun of your mom or your wife , will it acceptable for you either ?
Someone obviously does not get MTV where they live. Have you never seen YO MOMMA?

In our culture, people are allowed to speak as they please, in most circumstances. It is a protected right. What's amazing is that we're over 100 posts into this thread and you still do not seem to get it. What I find personally acceptable makes no difference. Our laws are our laws and our freedoms are our freedoms. Most Americans would have it no other way. We appreciate this lifestyle. We will do everything to protect these freedoms. That's why we have the most powerful military in the world.

Old 01-16-2011, 09:53 PM

4,609 posts, read 4,114,454 times
Quote:
That's a good question, Elwill.

I don't know exactly when free speech turns into a crime.

In Florida, a couple teen-age girls made a Facebook page with obscene pictures of another girl and they were arrested and charged with a felony, which is a very serious crime. They may be sent to prison.

If someone writes something derogatory about my wife or my mother, I don't think it is a crime, but we could file a lawsuit against them and possibly make them pay money to us.

However, people are always writing things in the newspaper making fun of people, and I never hear about lawsuits being filed.

A few years some people burned an American flag and a lot of us thought that should be a crime. However, our Supreme Court it was protected free speech.

I know the law says that if the American flag is displayed along with any other flag, the American flag has to be higher. At my grandson's basketball game last week, they had the American flag on the wall along with flags from about 15 other countries, and the American flag was definitely higher.

Old 01-17-2011, 01:05 AM

Quote:
That's a good question, Elwill.

I don't know exactly when free speech turns into a crime.

In Florida, a couple teen-age girls made a Facebook page with obscene pictures of another girl and they were arrested and charged with a felony, which is a very serious crime. They may be sent to prison.

If someone writes something derogatory about my wife or my mother, I don't think it is a crime, but we could file a lawsuit against them and possibly make them pay money to us.

However, people are always writing things in the newspaper making fun of people, and I never hear about lawsuits being filed.

A few years some people burned an American flag and a lot of us thought that should be a crime. However, our Supreme Court it was protected free speech.

I know the law says that if the American flag is displayed along with any other flag, the American flag has to be higher. At my grandson's basketball game last week, they had the American flag on the wall along with flags from about 15 other countries, and the American flag was definitely higher.
excellent , you understood my point
it's very good feeling when you find someone understand you

you said that you would file a lawsuit against them and possibly make them pay money to you . i would do the same if it was happened to me
it's crime called slander in our country
but , what if it was happened to someone else out of your family whom your relation with him not very sensitive , will you care ?
i don't think so , you were care for your family because you loved your family to the extent that you can't accept slanders against them doing nothing , ( i don't encourage the violence which happened by muslims but i'm talking about their feeling toward such events against them )

can you imagine the concequences if someone slander someone who are more sensitive for billions of muslims than their mothers and themselfs !

we can't ignore the consequences of that

may be their is no consequences in your country when people make fun of jesus in the media or newspaper , in my view it's because most christianse don't care , not because they are better than muslims

Old 01-17-2011, 01:49 AM

7,088 posts, read 13,045,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
No really, Muslims will bring about world peace...as soon as everyone in the world is a Muslim.
Dang, I guess an atheist like me is S.O.L.

Old 01-17-2011, 02:16 AM

69 posts, read 83,271 times
Quote:
Hey Quran, the fact that we are the most powerful country in the history of the world causes many other people to resent us. Don't worry, we are used to it.

Our leaders carry out a foreign policy to provide for the safety and prosperity of the American people. When we don't like what our leaders are doing, we vote them out.
I am not sure about that. You know the voting part. The way they spend money does not look like they really care what Americans think. You only have two parties and they are both controlled by corporations and both have identical foreign policy and they don't seem that different. That explains all this tea party stuff going around.

I am not sure about history of the world part. The Ottomans and Romans and Persians and even the British had no problem controlling a country like Iraq. But America can barely control the Sunni areas of Iraq and Afghanistan is lost. But what I think is that u r probably a Neocon.

You know, they hate us for our freedom stuff.

Old 01-17-2011, 01:11 PM

8,754 posts, read 4,441,100 times
Quote:
excellent , you understood my point
it's very good feeling when you find someone understand you

you said that you would file a lawsuit against them and possibly make them pay money to you . i would do the same if it was happened to me
it's crime called slander in our country
but , what if it was happened to someone else out of your family whom your relation with him not very sensitive , will you care ?
i don't think so , you were care for your family because you loved your family to the extent that you can't accept slanders against them doing nothing , ( i don't encourage the violence which happened by muslims but i'm talking about their feeling toward such events against them )

can you imagine the concequences if someone slander someone who are more sensitive for billions of muslims than their mothers and themselfs !

may be their is no consequences in your country when people make fun of jesus in the media or newspaper , in my view it's because most christianse don't care , not because they are better than muslims
Woe up there Elwill.

We care! In 1962 the U.S. Supreme Court kicked prayer out of the schools. We knew what this would do, in the years to follow. We cared then and we care now.

My grandmother use to make a comment every year the story of Easter was played on TV. "Thou shalt not make graven images". (she would shake her head in a worrisome body language as she was worried for them for their not knowing)

The Lord must deal with the hearts of man. At some point, we must let Him deal, because somethings are just a matter for, God. The human spirit will either rest, or will unrest the choice is up to man.

Besides, Elwill, if everyone is told what to say, what not to say and every one acted the same way---how can one find those, who think differently, but act the same? How would we ever be able to know, whose souls need saving through the blood of Christ?

I'd rather have an honest word spoken, than deceitful ways any day of the week. God did not make us puppets on a string. He too would prefer honesty over mindlessness.

Christians do care, we just care differently, that's all. Unless a man is willing to receive, (it is a free choice) no amount of caring is going to change his actions.

Old 01-17-2011, 01:14 PM

8,754 posts, read 4,441,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quranist View Post
I am not sure about that. You know the voting part. The way they spend money does not look like they really care what Americans think. You only have two parties and they are both controlled by corporations and both have identical foreign policy and they don't seem that different. That explains all this tea party stuff going around.

I am not sure about history of the world part. The Ottomans and Romans and Persians and even the British had no problem controlling a country like Iraq. But America can barely control the Sunni areas of Iraq and Afghanistan is lost. But what I think is that u r probably a Neocon.

You know, they hate us for our freedom stuff.
You're right, it is bizarre to think. So, could be they hate, because that is all the know to do.

Old 01-17-2011, 07:29 PM

4,609 posts, read 4,114,454 times
Quote:

My advice is to mind your own business and ignore what other countries do.

We have gotten used to people in other countries burning and stepping on the American flag and it doesn't bother us anymore. If people in other countries make fun of Mohammed and draw derogatory pictures of him, I suggest you ignore them. Maybe your country could cut off economic activity with those countries.

Over the years, we have changed our ideas of appropriate behavior. We showed our grandkids some Walt Disney cartoons from the 1950's, and some of the things in the cartoons now seem very offensive to Asians, African Americans, and Native Americans. Those same things seemed fine when the cartoons were first made.

By the same token, some of the things in new cartoons like 'Family Guy' would have been terribly offensive in the 1950's.

Opinions change over time.

Many Americans have had little experience with Islam. Maybe we will become more sensitive to Muslims as years go by. Maybe not. In the meantime, anyone who doesn't like our behavior should ignore us. That is what we do with them.

Old 01-17-2011, 11:52 PM

Quote:
My advice is to mind your own business and ignore what other countries do.

We have gotten used to people in other countries burning and stepping on the American flag and it doesn't bother us anymore. If people in other countries make fun of Mohammed and draw derogatory pictures of him, I suggest you ignore them. Maybe your country could cut off economic activity with those countries.
i agree with you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or