U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 01:40 AM

30,884 posts, read 31,773,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elwill View Post
to be honest with you

it will depends on the priorities
you can't expect peacfull life in society have such "absolute freedom" which allow anyone to say anything about other's beliefs

i consider it wisdom to make some restrictions and to stablish some limits for the sake of higher purposes
That is what freedom of expression/speech/thought means...EVERYONE is free to express their opinions...You say that you cannot expect peaceful life in a free society, but think about this...Life is far more peaceful in free societies than it is in societies that do not have these freedoms....Compare Islamic states to non Islamic states for instance..

Incidents like this are common in states that restrict freedom of speech...

Jan 1 (Reuters) - Twenty-one people were killed when a car bomb exploded in Egypt's northern city of Alexandria as worshippers gathered to mark the New Year. Report: Explosion kills at least 21 at Egyptian church - CNN.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2011, 06:32 AM

1,215 posts, read 2,039,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
Did it hit a particular nerve? Most people in the free world believe that the cartoon sums up the truth fairly well. Why should those feelings be censored for you guys?
you can just imagine when firstly Seventeen Danish newspapers print a drawing of a man described as Prophet Muhammad with a ticking bomb in his turban.

then imagine if most people believed that the cartoon sums up the truth fairly well

how a muslims will live in such society , and will you consider this society tolerance for other faiths

Old 01-01-2011, 06:46 AM

4,083 posts, read 4,426,733 times
Quote:
you can just imagine when firstly Seventeen Danish newspapers print a drawing of a man described as Prophet Muhammad with a ticking bomb in his turban.

then imagine if most people believed that the cartoon sums up the truth fairly well

how a muslims will live in such society , and will you consider this society tolerance for other faiths
Tolerant societies allow others to practice their faith openly. In Muslim countries that is not the case. Muslims do not allow others to practice their faiths openly. Even if others are allowed to practice their religions they are not guaranteed safety.

What you need to understand is that is how the west sees Islam. We don't see a peaceful religion. We see a religion that advocates violence through the Quran and we see people who support that.

When I don't have to fear terror attacks from Muslims in my country then I will not look at Muslims with suspicion.

When the world feels safe then you will not see those cartoons but until then Muslims need to get used to it.

If Christians were blowing things up I would expect to see depictions of Jesus too.

Old 01-01-2011, 07:20 AM

5,426 posts, read 5,730,245 times
Quote:
to be honest with you

it will depends on the priorities
you can't expect peacfull life in society have such "absolute freedom" which allow anyone to say anything about other's beliefs

i consider it wisdom to make some restrictions and to stablish some limits for the sake of higher purposes
We can have a peaceful life even if we are allowed free speech.

We just have to convince religious people not to get violent when I express my opinion, just like I don't get violent when they express theirs.

Old 01-01-2011, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
We can have a peaceful life even if we are allowed free speech.

We just have to convince religious people not to get violent when I express my opinion, just like I don't get violent when they express theirs.

their must be ethics that are practiced with nobility and conscience so as to ensure the rights and dignity of everyone.

Old 01-01-2011, 11:42 AM

40,084 posts, read 26,750,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
Tolerant societies allow others to practice their faith openly. In Muslim countries that is not the case. Muslims do not allow others to practice their faiths openly. Even if others are allowed to practice their religions they are not guaranteed safety.

What you need to understand is that is how the west sees Islam. We don't see a peaceful religion. We see a religion that advocates violence through the Quran and we see people who support that.

When I don't have to fear terror attacks from Muslims in my country then I will not look at Muslims with suspicion.

When the world feels safe then you will not see those cartoons but until then Muslims need to get used to it.

If Christians were blowing things up I would expect to see depictions of Jesus too.
THAT about sums up the hypocrisy of crying about intolerance and disrespect for Islam!!!! It is an evil deen with NO tolerance for anyone who does not SUBMIT to Allah . . . and their barbaric religious rules and punishments, period!

Old 01-01-2011, 11:49 AM

Quote:
their must be ethics that are practiced with nobility and conscience so as to ensure the rights and dignity of everyone.
And just WHICH Islamic dominated society has this nobility and conscience, elwill???? We know our Christian dominated USA has it enforced by secular law.

Old 01-01-2011, 04:22 PM

6,839 posts, read 7,899,954 times
Quote:

Elwill, any person with half a brain living in a free country does not need a cartoon to formulate an opinion about Islam. Islam makes its priorities very clear on its own. In free societies, people are allowed to formulate their own opinions on things, and decide whether they want to be a part of something, or not. It's called free will. There are many things in free societies that are painted in a negative light, and many in a positive light. It is the task of each individual to come to his or her own conclusion about everything.

Old 01-02-2011, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
Elwill, any person with half a brain living in a free country does not need a cartoon to formulate an opinion about Islam. Islam makes its priorities very clear on its own. In free societies, people are allowed to formulate their own opinions on things, and decide whether they want to be a part of something, or not. It's called free will. There are many things in free societies that are painted in a negative light, and many in a positive light. It is the task of each individual to come to his or her own conclusion about everything.
with all respect , i'm sure that most of you people didn't formulate an openion about islam with even 1% of your brain

it's all formulated by media and stereotypes

anyway , i think that we differed in our openion because we differed in our aims

my aim is to cause harmony , love , peace and respect between different beliefs within society , so i will encourage freedom of expression as long as it dosn't effect negativly in the society

our love for our prophet and for our relegion is something make me proud , no other people take their relegion seriously and respect their prophets like muslims do , you can't blame us for this emotions
offcourse it dosn't mean that i encourage the act of violence by anymeans , some of people loose their control , you can't blame islam because group of people lost control in their emotions

my humble view is that absolute freedom of speach without any restrictions or rules or ethices is a perfect tool to destroy the society internally

Last edited by elwill; 01-02-2011 at 01:25 AM..

Old 01-02-2011, 01:29 PM

Quote:
my humble view is that absolute freedom of speach without any restrictions or rules or ethices is a perfect tool to destroy the society internally
The only peace and harmony Islam recognizes is in total submission to Allah (conveniently interpreted by men) . . . NOT tolerance and respect for other religions or atheism. The hypocrisy and deceit is disgraceful! Freedom of any kind can destroy society . . . so we should jail everyone and control their every action and belief . . . right, elwill?? NO religion has any business controlling secular society. ANY God that requires human beings to enforce its "rules" is an impotent and weak God . . . besides . . . if the self-control isn't voluntary . . . it is useless to any God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or