U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-04-2011, 03:22 PM
 
Location: Victoria, BC.
30,924 posts, read 31,815,566 times
Reputation: 12655

Advertisements

Muslims respect freedom of speech? You mean like this? Anti blasphemy laws, no depictions of Mohamed, no writing of anything critical of Islam under fear of death...Yeah right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-04-2011, 04:36 PM
 
787 posts, read 1,548,109 times
Reputation: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by elwill View Post
thank you , that's answers my question

and thank you Boxcar Overkill

i think that we muslims differ than you in that

while we respect freedom of speech we never forgot to show respect and keep dignity and be polite and sensitive for other's emotions

and these is the things which the owners of this forum recognized and tried to establish it , and that's why this forum suceed to keep different people from different belifes to hang around without any hateness
If muslims truly respected freedom of speech, then they wouldn't implement blasphemy laws and they certainly wouldn't kill anyone for opposing blasphemy laws

BBC News - Punjab Governor Salman Taseer assassinated in Islamabad

The only way you're going to get everyone else to respect Islam is when your colleagues stop murdering people in its name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2011, 04:39 PM
 
Location: Toronto, ON
2,333 posts, read 2,511,361 times
Reputation: 258
Yaah, what is there to gain by assassination like the governor of Punjab, today. It is said there are pure political reason there for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2011, 06:15 PM
 
Location: Sitting beside Walden Pond
4,609 posts, read 4,120,485 times
Reputation: 1399
Quote:
Originally Posted by elwill View Post
while we (Muslims) respect freedom of speech we never forgot to show respect and keep dignity and be polite and sensitive for other's emotions
That sure differs from us in America, Elwill. We often show a lack of respect for others, we lose our dignity (as if we ever had any), we are seldom polite, and we can be very insensitive to other's emotions.

If that bothers anyone, there are plenty of other countries to live in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2011, 09:09 PM
 
Location: Southern Willamette Valley, Oregon
6,847 posts, read 7,909,459 times
Reputation: 12696
Elwill,

I'm trying to figure out what Hiker and Boxcar said in their post that you seemed to understand that you did not get from my posts explaining it to you. Just curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2011, 01:32 AM
 
Location: egypt
1,215 posts, read 2,041,409 times
Reputation: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
Elwill,

I'm trying to figure out what Hiker and Boxcar said in their post that you seemed to understand that you did not get from my posts explaining it to you. Just curious.
they gave me direct answer that this westerner forum which all of us discuss and criticise various beliefs within it freely , is actually don't allow freedom of speech because it disallow disrespect and racism and hatespeech

he helped me to understand what you people means when you say that we don't allow freedom of speech


i asked you this question two times , in the first one you said that i (me) don't know what is the hate speech and what isn't and you said that this forum not allow absolute freedom of speech which i know very well , my question was if can you say generally that this forum against freedom of speech

when i asked you the question in the second time you talked about what is legal and what is illegal in the country which published the cartoons and that we should to respect their law , and that subject didn't answer my question also

may be you just misunderstood my main purpose from this question , it was just to find mutual understanding for the concepts we using in this discussion
i'm very pleased to talking with you by the way , thanx for your time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2011, 02:37 AM
 
Location: Southern Willamette Valley, Oregon
6,847 posts, read 7,909,459 times
Reputation: 12696
My apologies, Elwill. I was trying to be as clear as I could be in a way that I thought might answer your question.

I guess you could call it a communication breakdown from both sides.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2011, 05:04 AM
 
Location: egypt
1,215 posts, read 2,041,409 times
Reputation: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
My apologies, Elwill. I was trying to be as clear as I could be in a way that I thought might answer your question.

I guess you could call it a communication breakdown from both sides.
it's okey ditchlights , i'm sure that you were trying to answer my question , and i agree that it caused of communication breakdown from bothe sides

so now , after we understood each other
can you say about any country which disallow hate of speech and insulting other's beliefs that it's against freedom of speech ?

how can you consider this forum against freedom of speech , while everyone can criticise and show objections for other beliefs ( as long as it happens politely and with respect ) ?

why someone should to be rude and offensive to feel that he have freedom of speech ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2011, 07:25 AM
 
Location: OKC
5,426 posts, read 5,737,220 times
Reputation: 1770
Quote:
Originally Posted by elwill View Post

how can you consider this forum against freedom of speech , while everyone can criticise and show objections for other beliefs ( as long as it happens politely and with respect ) ?

why someone should to be rude and offensive to feel that he have freedom of speech ?
Not all ideas are worthy of respect. Some are worthy of ridicule. One should not be required to act as though an idea is worthy of respect if it's really worthy of ridicule, because that lends the idea undue credibility.

Getting back to the cartoon of Mohammed with a bomb for a hat. That cartoon made the point that there is a link between Islam and violence. That is a valid point to make, even if one disagrees with it without being concerned that muslims will become violent.

I feel like the reason Muslims were upset was because the author wasn't respectful of Mohammed. But non-muslims shouldn't be forced to respect Mohammed. Many of us don't believe he is a person that is worthy of respect.

It is wrong of muslims to use violence to force non-muslims to be respectful of Mohammed. We have a right to our opinion that Mohammed was not a person worthy of respect, and we should have a right to express that opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2011, 07:39 AM
 
Location: egypt
1,215 posts, read 2,041,409 times
Reputation: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
Not all ideas are worthy of respect. Some are worthy of ridicule. One should not be required to act as though an idea is worthy of respect if it's really worthy of ridicule, because that lends the idea undue credibility.

Getting back to the cartoon of Mohammed with a bomb for a hat. That cartoon made the point that there is a link between Islam and violence. That is a valid point to make, even if one disagrees with it without being concerned that muslims will become violent.

I feel like the reason Muslims were upset was because the author wasn't respectful of Mohammed. But non-muslims shouldn't be forced to respect Mohammed. Many of us don't believe he is a person that is worthy of respect.

It is wrong of muslims to use violence to force non-muslims to be respectful of Mohammed. We have a right to our opinion that Mohammed was not a person worthy of respect, and we should have a right to express that opinion.
i agree that it was wrong from those individual muslims to use violence

the point is that when i disrespect something in your beliefs or something in your culture , i can show you it politely without offending your feelings , i can show it to you without making you to hate me

these cartoons without doubt were a hate speech , media criticise islam every day in their media , what is so different in this carttons ! , offcourse it's different and offcourse it exceeded the limits
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top