Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 06:33 PM

11,240 posts, read 11,018,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
The way to fix ones honor once it has been disparaged is through death. So women are killed for bringing dishonor to their families. People who bring dishonor to Islam and the prophet run the risk of the same behavior being directed against them.
Sounds like a bad attitude that needs adjustment if they plan to take up residence in countries that believe in the freedom of expression/religion. I see no place for that kind of behavior in my country, or any country that champions freedom. Sadly, I don't see relations getting any better anytime soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2010, 07:22 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,889,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
Sounds like a bad attitude that needs adjustment if they plan to take up residence in countries that believe in the freedom of expression/religion. I see no place for that kind of behavior in my country, or any country that champions freedom. Sadly, I don't see relations getting any better anytime soon.
Major newspapers in all free countries should print large, full-page depictions of the prophet mohammed for all of us who believe in freedom of speech and separation of church and state to proudly display in all of our front windows. There would just be too many for the barbaric muslim radicals to handle, I sense them going absolutely berserk, with mass killings of fellow muslims because of protests in muslim dominated countries, because thats just what they do.

You can practice your religion until it starts to demand for us to change our free way of life, then, all bets are off.

Old 12-29-2010, 07:25 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,045,301 times
I do admire their devotion.

Old 12-29-2010, 07:34 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,786,701 times
A corollary to the OP's question is why don't Christians take Christ as seriously as Muslims take Muhammed?

Old 12-29-2010, 07:39 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,889,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geofra View Post
A corollary to the OP's question is why don't Christians take Christ as seriously as Muslims take Muhammed?
Fred Phelps does, maybe we should follow his lead.

Old 12-29-2010, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geofra View Post
Just exactly what are you advocating for?

Old 12-29-2010, 08:12 PM

69 posts, read 95,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
Situations like this one right here are why the U.S. media/tabloids are afraid to oppose and/or use Islam and their god in a negative light as they do with other religions. This is a direct and fear based encroachment on our country's First Amendment freedoms. Islam may never take over the U.S. as they wish it to, but it's existence in this country has other far reaching effects on our freedoms. And the PM of Denmark couldn't believe that someone would do this. Well sir, when you create a monster, you have to be prepared to handle it.

So, why is it exactly that Islam is the only world religion that gets physically violent when their God/Prophet is used in satire or other forms of publishing/media? After all, I thought the Muslim faith was based on peace and tolerance as SO MANY Muslims on CD swear by.

5 arrested in plot to attack prophet cartoon paper - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101229/ap_on_re_eu/eu_denmark_terror_arrests - broken link)
Good question. Because in Muhammad they find their exclusivity. Thats why the Koran burning was less of an issue for them but Obama and many non Muslims did not understand that. Its the Muhammad brand that Sunnis and Shias rely on to spread their doctrine. Not the Koran. They rely on the prophetic "sunnah" for their doctrine and not the Koran. So the iconization of Muhammad is very necessary for these sects.

Old 12-29-2010, 08:15 PM

1,807 posts, read 1,891,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
Major newspapers in all free countries should print large, full-page depictions of the prophet mohammed for all of us who believe in freedom of speech and separation of church and state to proudly display in all of our front windows. There would just be too many for the barbaric muslim radicals to handle, I sense them going absolutely berserk, with mass killings of fellow muslims because of protests in muslim dominated countries, because thats just what they do.

You can practice your religion until it starts to demand for us to change our free way of life, then, all bets are off.

So, you want to insult an entire religion by breaking a religious taboo? Tell me, what would you do if someone spit on a cross, or burned one in the front yard of their home?

A religious symbol, no matter the religion, is important to the people practicing that faith -- and freedom of religion means *all* religions.

Old 12-29-2010, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredNotBob View Post
So, you want to insult an entire religion by breaking a religious taboo? Tell me, what would you do if someone spit on a cross, or burned one in the front yard of their home?

A religious symbol, no matter the religion, is important to the people practicing that faith -- and freedom of religion means *all* religions.
It would be their right to do so. More power to them. Last time I checked, freedom of expression was not against the law. It does not have to be in good taste. Many things the media does is not. Why should this be an exception?

Old 12-29-2010, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quranist View Post
So the iconization of Muhammad is very necessary for these sects.
OK. Good for them. So where exactly does murdering infidels come into the picture?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam