U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 03:20 AM

1,215 posts, read 2,038,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
My opinion is that this verse is VERY unlikely about just Seas and Oceans at all, but the meeting of waters at an estuary. This is knowledge you will get if you read the line in the context that it was written rather than quoting it alone like above.
mmmm
this is another verse
He is the one who has set free the two kinds of water, one sweet and palatable, and the other salty and bitter. And He has made between them a barrier and a forbidding partition. (Quran, 25:53)

Quote:
It is most likely referring to the fact that waters of different density, salinity and temperature do not tend to mix easily. No miracle here. This was knowledge we have had since the time of Aristotle.
give me your sources

Quote:
What in fact is happening however is that the writers of the Koran observed the phenomenon.... entirely made up an explanation for it... and now science has replaced that explanation with a natural explanation which makes much more sense, is testable and can... unlike the existence of god... be demonstrated as true.
with regard to our example , mohammed (pbuh) lived his life in desert and never traveled through oceans or seas

Quote:
In fact if their explanation were true it tells us that god is in fact very weak because he can not even stop water mixing. Why do I say this? Well because even though the waters do not APPEAR to mix, they eventually do and they are not kept separate for ever. So it seems this god, and the "barrier" it created are both very weak and are eventually overcome by simple water. The god they believe in is a bit impotent to say the least and Mohammads ignorance on what is now basic science is clear.
you are very good in finding an answers for every problem you may face
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2011, 03:27 AM

29 posts, read 24,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
I have yet to see a verse in the Qur'an which clearly contains modern scientific information. All of the verses which contain supposed scientific miracles are very vague and can be taken to mean a number of things, and very often, the supposed scientific miracle is one of the least likely meanings. People often use a psychological tendency called "confirmation bias" which means to interpret information to confirm one's preconceptions and to avoid information and interpretations which contradict prior beliefs.

The Qur'an apparently describes the big bang with the following verse

21:30 Do not the Unbelievers see that the heavens and the earth were joined together (as one unit of creation), before we clove them asunder? We made from water every living thing. Will they not then believe?

This verse clearly does not mention the conditions of the big bang. This states that the heavens and the earth were two separate entities and they were split apart. The Earth is actually a part of the universe, not separate from it.

There are claims that the Qur'an states that the sun rotates around the center of the galaxy with the following verse

21:33 It is He Who created the Night and the Day, and the sun and the moon: all (the celestial bodies) swim along, each in its rounded course.

This verse clearly states that the sun and the moon rotate around the Earth, as was commonly believed at the time which agreed with the Aristotelian model of a geocentric universe. Why would God refer to the sun rotating around the center of the galaxy in a verse about night and day? If that was the case, the verse would not make much sense.

The following verse is supposed proof that the Qur'an states that the universe is expanding which has only been discovered in the past one hundred years-

51:47 With power and skill did We construct the Firmament: for it is We Who create the vastness of pace.

However, nowhere in this verse does it say that the Universe is expanding, only that it is very big.

In short, the claims by Muslims that the Qur'an is a scientific document is absurd and a lie, with such claims made to persuade stupid people that the Qur'an is the word of God......and it is not. It is simply a book written by a pedophile......and a travesty perpetrated by stupid people.
I think that the forum for dialogue and civilized debate and not for the insults and Almspat Thank you

Old 01-04-2011, 03:42 AM

7,802 posts, read 5,277,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elwill View Post
He is the one who has set free the two kinds of water, one sweet and palatable, and the other salty and bitter. And He has made between them a barrier and a forbidding partition. (Quran, 25:53)
Yes, that for example gives context that the writer is probably not talking about the meeting of two oceans, but the meeting of fresh water and sea water. This is exactly what I was referring to. However that line is entirely false as there is no such forbiddin partition. The waters do mix, quite happily.

Quote:
give me your sources
For what? That the phenomenon had been observed before? Sure. Read Aristotle "Meteorology". In it he writes how drinkable sweet water and heavy salt water are separate as the lighter one is "drawn up" from the heavier leaving them separate. People in his time knew well that waters of different density and salinity do not mix easily even if they did now know why.

Quote:
with regard to our example , mohammed (pbuh) lived his life in desert and never traveled through oceans or seas
Which is yet another contextual reason why I think it likely that the passage is about fresh water meeting sea water and the like. However I think you know well that a person does not have to observe a phenomenon first hand in order to write about it so I am not sure what the relevance of pointing this out is.

Quote:
you are very good in finding an answers for every problem you may face
You do not know me and know nothing about me. Do not pretend you do.

Last edited by Nozzferrahhtoo; 01-04-2011 at 03:50 AM..

Old 01-04-2011, 05:20 AM

7,525 posts, read 14,899,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by salaita1 View Post
I think that the forum for dialogue and civilized debate and not for the insults and Almspat Thank you
I do know it is not for spreading lies and misinformation. When you do lie and attempt to misinform, expect people to tell you the truth, not agree with you. there is no science in the Qur'an, there is no beauty in Islam, and there is no truth in posts like the OP.

Old 01-04-2011, 03:07 PM

122 posts, read 126,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
I do know it is not for spreading lies and misinformation. When you do lie and attempt to misinform, expect people to tell you the truth, not agree with you. there is no science in the Qur'an, there is no beauty in Islam, and there is no truth in posts like the OP.
There is no misinform and this is the truth.
This video is from scientists who talk about Quran's miracles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUUPYs0gElU

Old 01-04-2011, 06:24 PM

30,874 posts, read 31,747,081 times
[quote=Muslim22;17258109]There is no misinform and this is the truth.

Just more lies..The quran is ignorant when it comes to science...And a lot of other things too. There is no allah, and never was.

Old 01-04-2011, 07:25 PM

5,426 posts, read 5,726,296 times
It's all so dishonest. Lets look at the very first listed miracle:

Quote:
"By heaven furnished with paths;"
That one clause, without further explanation, is explained as either a miraculous explanation of string theory, or secondly, a miraculous description of the orbits and paths in the universe.

Really? You really expect people to believe that one quote is a miracle? It's certainly not a description of string theory, and probably isn't a description of the movement of planets - which wouldn't a miracle at any rate. It's completely desperate to claim that is a miracle the proves the divine inspiration of the Koran.

Old 01-05-2011, 01:32 AM

7,802 posts, read 5,277,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muslim22 View Post
I love this kind of thing for a good laugh. They get a few random scientists and put the word “Top” before it and think that is enough to prove their point. Have you considered maybe googling the phrase “Appeal to authority” at all?

Simply calling someone a scientists and calling him a “top” one does not magically make anything they say more true, more correct or more valid in any way.

Old 01-05-2011, 01:53 AM

30,874 posts, read 31,747,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muslim22 View Post
There is no misinform and this is the truth.
Name the scientists so I can verify that they are actually scientists, otherwise the video is meaningless.

Old 01-05-2011, 02:21 AM

122 posts, read 126,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Name the scientists so I can verify that they are actually scientists, otherwise the video is meaningless.

1.Dr. T. V. N. Persaud is Professor of Anatomy, Professor of Pediatrics and Child Health, and Professor of Obstetrics, Gynecology, and Reproductive Sciences at the University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. There, he was the Chairman of the Department of Anatomy for 16 years

2) Dr. Joe Leigh Simpson is the Chairman of the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Professor of Obstetrics and Gynecology, and Professor of Molecular and Human Genetics at the Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas, USA. Formerly, he was Professor of Ob-Gyn and the Chairman of the Department of Ob-Gyn at the University of Tennessee, Memphis, Tennessee, USA.

3.Dr. E. Marshall Johnson is Professor Emeritus of Anatomy and Developmental Biology at Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA. There, for 22 years he was Professor of Anatomy, the Chairman of the Department of Anatomy, and the Director of the Daniel Baugh Institute.

4.Dr. William W. Hay is a well-known marine scientist. He is Professor of Geological Sciences at the University of Colorado, Boulder, Colorado, USA.

5.Dr. Gerald C. Goeringer is Course Director and Associate Professor of Medical Embryology at the Department of Cell Biology, School of Medicine, Georgetown University, Washington, DC, USA.

6. Dr. Yoshihide Kozai is Professor Emeritus at Tokyo University, Hongo, Tokyo, Japan, and was the Director of the National Astronomical Observatory, Mitaka, Tokyo, Japan.

7) Professor Tejatat Tejasen is the Chairman of the Department of Anatomy at Chiang Mai University, Chiang Mai, Thailand. Previously, he was the Dean of the Faculty of Medicine at the same university.

Islam Guide: Scientists' Comments on Scientific Miracles in the Quran
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam