U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-06-2011, 04:52 PM
 
Location: OKC
5,426 posts, read 5,728,067 times
Reputation: 1770

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muslim22 View Post
The universe is expanding in the Quran
"And it is We who have constructed the heaven with might, and verily,it is we who are steadily expanding it"

When did scientists discover that the Universe is expanding?So there is no way prophet Muhammed peace and blessing be upon him could discover this by himself.So this is a proof that Quran is from the creator who created us from nothing to human.
That's it?!?

He doesn't even mean "expanded" in the sense you are using it. He means they are continuing to build more heaven, which is very different than what scientist mean by an expanding universe.

Thats very weak evidence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-06-2011, 05:15 PM
 
122 posts, read 126,794 times
Reputation: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
That's it?!?

He doesn't even mean "expanded" in the sense you are using it. He means they are continuing to build more heaven, which is very different than what scientist mean by an expanding universe.

Thats very weak evidence.
The universe is expanding in the Quran
"And it is We who have constructed the heaven with might, and verily,it is we who are steadily expanding it"

Could u understand the verse correctly?

The word heaven in this verse is used in many places in the Quran with the meaning of space and the universe.In the Quran it is commnicated that the universe expands.And this is the conclusion that science has reached today.The researchers observations shows that the universe has in fact a begining and constantly expands.In the begining of the 20th cenetry,Alexander Friedman calculated the universe is in a constand motion.And it is expanding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2011, 05:22 PM
 
Location: Victoria, BC.
30,878 posts, read 31,757,930 times
Reputation: 12623
So....what does that prove, even if it were true? You know that the Muslim's heaven has to keep on expanding to make room for all those suicide bombers, the people they kill, and the 72 houris for each of the dead males...What a load of nonsense!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2011, 05:27 PM
 
Location: OKC
5,426 posts, read 5,728,067 times
Reputation: 1770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muslim22 View Post
The universe is expanding in the Quran
"And it is We who have constructed the heaven with might, and verily,it is we who are steadily expanding it"

Could u understand the verse correctly?

The word heaven in this verse is used in many places in the Quran with the meaning of space and the universe.In the Quran it is commnicated that the universe expands.And this is the conclusion that science has reached today.The researchers observations shows that the universe has in fact a begining and constantly expands.In the begining of the 20th cenetry,Alexander Friedman calculated the universe is in a constand motion.And it is expanding.
No, the Koran doesn't say the universe expands, in the sense that science uses the word.

Not only that, but modern theory says it isn't steadily expanding. It is expanding at an accelrated pace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2011, 06:03 PM
 
122 posts, read 126,794 times
Reputation: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
No, the Koran doesn't say the universe expands, in the sense that science uses the word.

Not only that, but modern theory says it isn't steadily expanding. It is expanding at an accelrated pace.

The word "heaven," as stated in the verse above, is used in various places in the Qur'an. It is referring to space and the wider universe. Here again, the word is used with this meaning, stating that the universe "expands." The Arabic word "moosi'oona" in the term "inna lamoosi'oona," translated into English as "it is We Who are steadily expanding it," comes from the verb "awsa'a," meaning "to expand." The prefix "la" emphasises the following name or title and adds a sense of "to a great extent." This expression therefore means "We expand the sky or the universe to a great extent." This is the very conclusion that science has reached today
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2011, 07:51 PM
 
Location: OKC
5,426 posts, read 5,728,067 times
Reputation: 1770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muslim22 View Post
The word "heaven," as stated in the verse above, is used in various places in the Qur'an. It is referring to space and the wider universe. Here again, the word is used with this meaning, stating that the universe "expands." The Arabic word "moosi'oona" in the term "inna lamoosi'oona," translated into English as "it is We Who are steadily expanding it," comes from the verb "awsa'a," meaning "to expand." The prefix "la" emphasises the following name or title and adds a sense of "to a great extent." This expression therefore means "We expand the sky or the universe to a great extent." This is the very conclusion that science has reached today
Is the "steady" expansion part of the miracle or not?

How do we know it was referring to heaven and the wider universe, instead of the place where muslims believe they go when they die?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2011, 08:57 PM
 
122 posts, read 126,794 times
Reputation: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
Is the "steady" expansion part of the miracle or not?

How do we know it was referring to heaven and the wider universe, instead of the place where muslims believe they go when they die?

No it is not part of it.I will bring another translation of the Quran to make it clearer.
Surah Dhariyat 51:47: Khalifah:
"We constructed the sky with our hands, and we will continue to expand it."

Surah Dhariyat 51:47: Umm Muhammad (Sahih International):
"And the heaven We constructed with strength, and indeed, We are [its] expander."


Surah Dhariyat 51:47: Muhammad Ahmed & Samira:
"And the sky/space We built/constructed it with power/support, and We are extending/spreading

Surah Dhariyat 51:47: Ali Unal:
"And the heaven, We have constructed it mightily, and it is surely We Who have vast power, and keep expanding it."

In this verse, the Arabic word used for "universe" is: "samaa," (*)(*)(*)(*) which means: "Heaven" or "Universe," or "Sky." Here, it can mean "Heavens" as well as "Universe," which refer to the same thing.

The Arabic word for "expand" is "musiuna," (*) which comes from the root word "musi," which means:

noun
  1. stretcher
adjective
  1. expanded
  2. widened
  3. developed
Samaa is an Arabic word means sky,and the other one is called in Arabic Jannah.So these are two different things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2011, 09:21 PM
 
Location: Sitting beside Walden Pond
4,609 posts, read 4,113,133 times
Reputation: 1399
OK, so maybe the universe is expanding and maybe the Koran is correct in that point. So what?

I knew a stupid person in high school, but even he occasionally got a correct answer on a test.

It didn't mean he always got the right answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2011, 09:31 PM
 
122 posts, read 126,794 times
Reputation: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
OK, so maybe the universe is expanding and maybe the Koran is correct in that point. So what?

I knew a stupid person in high school, but even he occasionally got a correct answer on a test.

It didn't mean he always got the right answer.
It means that the Quran is from the creator due to the fact that prophet MUhammed peace and blessing be upon him could never know that by himself.So it is one of the Quran miracles and there are more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2011, 11:59 AM
 
439 posts, read 482,202 times
Reputation: 31
Hath not man seen that We have created him from a drop of seed? Yet lo! he is an open opponent.

And he hath coined for Us a similitude, and hath forgotten the fact of his creation, saying: Who will revive these bones when they have rotted away?

Say: He will revive them Who produced them at the first, for He is Knower of every creation,

Who hath appointed for you fire from the green tree, and behold! ye kindle from it.

Is not He Who created the heavens and the earth Able to create the like of them? Aye, that He is! for He is the All-Wise Creator,

But His command, when He intendeth a thing, is only that He saith unto it: Be! and it is.

Therefor Glory be to Him in Whose hand is the dominion over all things! Unto Him ye will be brought back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top