U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 02:35 PM

8,567 posts, read 14,880,368 times

Advertisements

Originally Posted by Jazzymom
Quote:
Yeah right..... But then you really want to hijack the thread so this will be my last response. I am not interested in talking politics which you obviously are.
So religion (or lack of religion) is okay, but not politics?
Odd.
As if fundamentalism is only restricted to religion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 02:48 PM

2,981 posts, read 4,515,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
People become suicide bombers out of desperate situations and the belief that it is the only way...

That is a fable proven untrue by actual facts on the suicide bombers.
Truth is that Islam is a terrorist organization which exists only to destroy and subjugate all who are enslaved by evil spirits -satans and demons- posing as "god". The whole reason for Islam existing is to hate Jews and Christians and to destroy everyone off the face of the earth who does not submit.

Old 01-27-2011, 02:52 PM

4,083 posts, read 4,460,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeshuasavedme View Post
That is a fable proven untrue by actual facts on the suicide bombers.
Truth is that Islam is a terrorist organization which exists only to destroy and subjugate all who are enslaved by evil spirits -satans and demons- posing as "god". The whole reason for Islam existing is to hate Jews and Christians and to destroy everyone off the face of the earth who does not submit.

I refuse to put a whole group of folks into group just because they are Muslims. As a Jew I understand what it means to be blamed for all sorts of things just because I happen to be Jewish.

All Muslims are not terrorists and they do not all seek the destruction of Christians and Jews.

What a bigoted thing to say..... Utter Islamophobia.........

Old 01-27-2011, 05:21 PM

13,856 posts, read 23,170,282 times
I do think there are situations where people become suicide bombers without being "desperate" in the way we understand the term. Fairly educated and middle-class people have gone into the world of Islamic terrorism. Muslim-majority nations sometimes don't give educated people a sufficient sense of purpose. In the poorer ones their purpose might be too constrained by clan and in the richer ones people may live on oil wealth without actually "doing" much of anything.

Although I'm not agreeing with the part that Islam is all bad or terrorist. I'm just thinking it's a sociological series of events in particular cultures. You are not seeing Senegalese suicide bombers much or at all and there are several other Islamic societies where terrorism is not much of an issue. As oppressed as the Rohingya Muslims of Burma are I don't think I've heard of them doing much terrorism, but admittedly I haven't looked into that.

Also I don't think "dying for what you believe" is at all bad or that that's really the problem we have. If Palestinians or Iraqis or whatever were jumping in front of the tanks, completely unarmed, we might be disturbed but it wouldn't be the same thing as what's happening. And if Muslims in Myanmar or North Korea are calmly accepting execution rather than renouncing the faith I'd find that honorable. As a Catholic we were taught to value dying for the faith.

The issue, to me as a religious person, is their seeing killing others as "martyrdom." If "martyrdom operations" just meant sitting and quietly saying prayers in front of a hostile enemy I really think that would be okay. Maybe "neat" even. Turning "martyrdom" into something about killing innocent people is the problem.

Old 01-27-2011, 07:55 PM

31,386 posts, read 32,356,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Somehow I do not think that a reward would be 70 virgin young men
That is because you are 100% correct. In the case of Russian these are Chchnyan women who have lost their husbands, brothers and lovers to the ongoing war that the Chechnyans are waging with the Russian Federation for their independence. Their motivation is the oldest in the world, revenge.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:26 PM

8,567 posts, read 14,880,368 times
Originally Posted by Thomas R.
Quote:
Fairly educated and middle-class people have gone into the world of Islamic terrorism.
Are you truly implying that suicide bombers are mostly dumb and / or gullible people?
Or are you just limiting your implication to those of the Islamic faith?

When we take the Japanese Kamikaze pilots then the suicide bombers are fairly intelligent, right?
I mean you do agree with me that one has to be intelligent in order to fly a plane?
So I guess becoming a suicide bomber more has to do with victimisation than intelligence.
Unless one believes that intelligence saves you from depression (read: loss of a loved one) / giving in to a traumatic experience.

Quote:
Turning "martyrdom" into something about killing innocent people is the problem.
I guess suicide bombing (or terrorism in general) thrives on the ‘an eye for an eye’ mentality.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:34 PM

15,849 posts, read 30,629,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
My husband pointed out that two of the recent suicide bombers in Moscow were women and remarked that he had heard that the men who sacrificed themselves this way believed that they would meet 70 virgins young women in heaven

That seems like a male fantasy. What do woman believe that they will get?
Somehow I do not think that a reward would be 70 virgin young men
Everybody gripes about how Islam is oppressive towards women, and then when they make strides to give them equality, nobody appreciates it.

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-28-2011, 12:48 AM

18,814 posts, read 23,612,053 times
Well I guess the Islamic women receive a place of honor for their act, that gives them respect in their religious community or reunites them with their lost husbands.

But then are the husbands cavorting with the virgins?
That would bite.

Old 01-28-2011, 05:30 AM

2,782 posts, read 3,757,348 times
Guess they are running out of stupid males....

Old 01-28-2011, 10:42 AM

2,981 posts, read 4,515,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post

All Muslims are not terrorists and they do not all seek the destruction of Christians and Jews.
I wrote of the foundational doctrines of Islam. Sorry, but you cannot pretend that Islam was founded on "sweetness and light". "Muslims" must submit to Islamic doctrines, or else, be marked for murder, for the death crime of "apostasy:
Quote:
http://freedomdefense.typepad.com/leave-islam/
The Qur'an commands your death for leaving Islam (4:89 calls for the murder of renegades from the faith)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or