Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 01:15 AM

24,112 posts, read 32,468,260 times

Advertisements

My husband pointed out that two of the recent suicide bombers in Moscow were women and remarked that he had heard that the men who sacrificed themselves this way believed that they would meet 70 virgins young women in heaven

That seems like a male fantasy. What do woman believe that they will get?
Somehow I do not think that a reward would be 70 virgin young men
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 01:26 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,196,724 times
I don't know why Islam appeals to any woman. Maybe their children are threatened and they sacrifice themselves to save them.

Old 01-27-2011, 03:44 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,556,553 times
In Egypt and Sudan many women joined with the Islamists. (I should modify this here. I think the movements were certainly majority male, what I mean is there were more women than I'd expected when researching them. They rarely had leadership positions, but then again I don't think the leaders in these groups are usually the ones blowing themselves up) This was because, at least in Sudan, Islamists sometimes offered women the chance to reject their family and be part of a grand mission unrelated to being a wife and mother. They were instead serving "The Ummah" and things "greater" than their tribe or clan. For women who didn't feel like being "wife and mother" satisfied all their personal needs or temperament that was maybe appealing.

So my guess would be it might sometimes be like that. They get the chance to be honored as a "martyr", a person of action even, in a way women do not normally get honored in those societies or that world. Particularly for women of "low birth" whose families have little connections or with women of unexceptional intelligence. (In some cases women in these societies are beginning to "break through" if they are unusually intelligent and determined, but that might be out of reach for many women)

I know I saw some Palestinian women who were weirdly feminist about it. They were like "Men die for the cause and I'm just as good as a man so I'll blow myself up to prove I'm just as devoted to the struggle." Although it seems like I've heard women suicide bombers are more likely to be manipulated or depressed. The men in their lives will press on them to do it or even trick them into it as happened with some mentally delayed women suicide bombers in Iraq. It seems like there were also some where the women had male relatives who did it, suicide bombing, so sadly see it as a way to "reunite" with their father or brother.

Last edited by Thomas R.; 01-27-2011 at 03:54 AM..

Old 01-27-2011, 07:12 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,232,534 times
Originally Posted by sheena12
Quote:
My husband pointed out that two of the recent suicide bombers in Moscow were women and remarked that he had heard that the men who sacrificed themselves this way believed that they would meet 70 virgins young women in heaven
I guess it has more to do with poverty & living in a situation that does not offer any hope than it has to do with fundamentalism or being rewarded in the afterlife.
I mostly believe that these women became 'terrorists' because they lost their husbands and / or family to the Russians.

Old 01-27-2011, 09:42 AM

4,082 posts, read 5,042,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by sheena12 I guess it has more to do with poverty & living in a situation that does not offer any hope than it has to do with fundamentalism or being rewarded in the afterlife.
I mostly believe that these women became 'terrorists' because they lost their husbands and / or family to the Russians.

People become suicide bombers out of desperate situations and the belief that it is the only way. They believe they are dying as martyrs and it is encouraged by the Muslim populations.

In Gaza and the West Bank suicide martyrs are put up on a pedestal and idolized. Being a martyr is looked up to and often the families left behind get paid for the action of the suicide bomber. Children are taught from an early age that to die for Islam is one of the best things you can do.

I knew people here who saw dying for Islam as the most noble way to die. That they were proud that their children would die for Islam.

It is a mindset in Islam that to die for your religion is a noble thing to do and many aspire to that.

Old 01-27-2011, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzymom
Quote:
People become suicide bombers out of desperate situations and the belief that it is the only way. They believe they are dying as martyrs and it is encouraged by the Muslim populations.
Pleaz, don't kid yourself that it is just the Muslim population, even the Jews, with the story of Masada, encourage (mass) suicide over being conquered by the enemy.
I see no difference between Muslim terrorist bombers, Japanese Kamikaze pilots, or American patriots who are willing to kill & die for their cause and / or country.

FYI one man’s terrorist is another man’s patriot.

Old 01-27-2011, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom Pleaz, don't kid yourself that it is just the Muslim population, even the Jews, with the story of Masada, encourage (mass) suicide over being conquered by the enemy.
I see no difference between Muslim terrorist bombers, Japanese Kamikaze pilots, or American patriots who are willing to kill & die for their cause and / or country.

FYI one man’s terrorist is another man’s patriot.
True others have committed suicide, Those in Masada committed suicide rather then let the Romans take them. The Romans would have killed them in much more violent ways.

Please don't assume I kid myself.

Most of the suicide violence comes from Muslims today. I haven't seen to many Christians of Jews killing in mass innocents for their beliefs

Anyone who kills innocents is a terrorist .......

Old 01-27-2011, 01:42 PM

2,332 posts, read 2,839,553 times
It's the freedom for democratic institutions which determines sects of the political faith. Is that a contradiction to ordinary muslims who wish to fundamentally refer to their scriptures for advice on love and kinship?Of course, I am meaning somewhere in a muslim country, not in a America.

Referring to scriptures in the U.S. is under submission to Allah for reasons of expression allowed....

Old 01-27-2011, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzymom
Quote:
Those in Masada committed suicide rather then let the Romans take them. The Romans would have killed them in much more violent ways.
And there's no doubt in my mind that if those Jews in Masada knew how to make bombs they would've become the 1st suicide bombers.

Quote:
Most of the suicide violence comes from Muslims today. I haven't seen to many Christians of Jews killing in mass innocents for their beliefs

Anyone who kills innocents is a terrorist .......
I guess that has more to do with propaganda and the media than religion or fundamentalism.
In every war the truth is always the 1st casualty.
There is a reason why the American government (or is it just the American right-wingers?) can't wait to have Julian Assange on American soil.
I guess rightwing Americans don’t believe that the truth will set you free.

Old 01-27-2011, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom And there's no doubt in my mind that if those Jews in Masada knew how to make bombs they would've become the 1st suicide bombers.

I guess that has more to do with propaganda and the media than religion or fundamentalism.
In every war the truth is always the 1st casualty.
There is a reason why the American government (or is it just the American right-wingers?) can't wait to have Julian Assange on American soil.
I guess rightwing Americans don’t believe that the truth will set you free.

Yeah right..... But then you really want to hijack the thread so this will be my last response. I am not interested in talking politics which you obviously are.

Have a nice evening.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam