U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 12:36 PM

43 posts, read 41,235 times

Advertisements

Question 1: Is there a significant school of thought in Islam which adheres to an allegorical approach to scripture as opposed to a literalistic one?

Question 2: Of the criticisms you have heard of Islam, which if any, do you feel is generally valid or most valid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderingWanderer View Post
Not just Islam, when will any of the main religions show compassion, forgiveness, and tolerance of others?
If you haven't seen it, then you haven't tried looking. I'll be the first to agree that horrible things have been done in the name of religion, but you have to really turn a blind eye not to see any good done by any given religion. Even the KKK funds public services. Now if you want to talk about the net good of religion, that's more debatable.

Old 01-27-2011, 12:40 PM

2,333 posts, read 2,517,230 times
Did Loughner associate any idea with the idealistic approach of Salmon Rushdie? He might be brighter than I thought?

Old 01-27-2011, 01:31 PM

563 posts, read 804,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BunniRabbi View Post
Question 1: Is there a significant school of thought in Islam which adheres to an allegorical approach to scripture as opposed to a literalistic one?

I can't think of any, I do know Avicenna is somewhat associated with Islamic allegorical thinking. But I don't see it as relating to interpretation of the Qur'an. Do you have any suggestions?

Question 2: Of the criticisms you have heard of Islam, which if any, do you feel is generally valid or most valid?

I haven't heard any valid criticisms against Islam. Many criticisms against Muslims carry some validity because Muslims have mixed culture, other writings, and religion and come up with something far from the original teachings.

If you haven't seen it, then you haven't tried looking. I'll be the first to agree that horrible things have been done in the name of religion, but you have to really turn a blind eye not to see any good done by any given religion. Even the KKK funds public services. Now if you want to talk about the net good of religion, that's more debatable.
What are you talking about here? You didn't read it correctly. I didn't say I haven't seen any good done in the name of religion. And I suspect I know a lot more about the KKK than you, but then, that's really wandering off.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 01-27-2011 at 05:09 PM.. Reason: red font color is reserved for moderation

Old 01-27-2011, 02:15 PM

13,113 posts, read 13,577,632 times
Why does Islam seem to actively work against any progressive development in the nations where it is dominant? Most of the nations it is most popular in tend to be poor, 3rd World, highly uneducated, politically in chaos, and technically very far behind the industrialized world. There seems to be a push, especially in recent years, to fundamentalize, which would seem to be even more conterproductive. Pakistan is a good example of that process right now. If anything, Muslim nations have regressed over the centuries from the standpoint of where they were during the time of Persia, Mesopotamia, etc. Why?

Old 01-27-2011, 02:56 PM

563 posts, read 804,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Why does Islam seem to actively work against any progressive development in the nations where it is dominant? Most of the nations it is most popular in tend to be poor, 3rd World, highly uneducated, politically in chaos, and technically very far behind the industrialized world. There seems to be a push, especially in recent years, to fundamentalize, which would seem to be even more conterproductive. Pakistan is a good example of that process right now. If anything, Muslim nations have regressed over the centuries from the standpoint of where they were during the time of Persia, Mesopotamia, etc. Why?
My answer, somewhat unqualified is; Culture, and that they follow the Hadith and Sunnah writings and not so much the Qur'an. As a side note, Pakistan does produce some seriously excellent doctors.

Old 01-27-2011, 03:39 PM

4,609 posts, read 4,132,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
For the last 150 years, the Western world has had an increasing influence in the Muslim countries.

I can see how that could irritate some of them. Maybe Islamic fundamentalish is just a natural counter-reaction to our interfering in their culture.

I think it will be very hard for them to put the genie back in the bottle. Our freewheeling Western culture is too appealing to people all over the world, especially in the computer age where information spreads so quickly.

Old 01-27-2011, 04:47 PM

9,616 posts, read 11,413,058 times
Good questions, folks! Now we're getting somewhere!

I wonder what the OP's author will say in honest return.

I'm all ears, BTW!

Old 01-27-2011, 05:03 PM

3,408 posts, read 2,361,177 times
Islam IS a cult. It promotes murder to anyone that does not believe. I would hate to live in a world with that belief! The weak minded falling for a lie. Good Luck.

Old 01-27-2011, 08:37 PM

13,856 posts, read 23,061,407 times
Unfortunately we don't get many Muslims here who wish to do anything other than preach. If this is actually about asking questions, rather than trying to get converts, I might ask some questions like.

What is "jihad" in your understanding?
Can Muslims be at peace with polytheists and what religions do you consider to be polytheistic?
My translated book of Hadith refer to "The Anti-Christ" what does that word mean in Islam?
Should the "hudud" punishments of sharia still be applied or were they only necessary for a specific era?
Do Muslims see a difference between the Mecca and Medina verses or is that a Western construct?
How do Islamic dietary rules differ from that of Orthodox Judaism?
Can a person read the Qur'an in a language other than Arabic or does any translation betray the text?
What is the view of "offshoot" movements like Ahmadiyya or Baha'i?

Old 01-27-2011, 09:45 PM

7,802 posts, read 5,311,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Can Muslims be at peace with polytheists and what religions do you consider to be polytheistic?
I am not sure there are many religions that can be at "peace" with other religions, especially any religions with the concept of hell in them such as Islam and Christianity. The more hell features in the religion the less chance there is of peaceful coexistence I think.

I do recognise that there are over 33000 different branches of Christianity however, all officially recognised and documented (World Christianity Encyclopaedia is my source here) and hell features in different levels in each one, so I do not mean to tarnish all of Christianity equally with the same brush. The brush stroke clearly hits some more than others.

Why do I say this about peaceful coexistence however?

Well picture what the average man would do if he walked into a room to find another man torturing or raping his child. Most men would react swiftly and with a use of force that is greater than the mere requirement of ensuring the act stops... but is normally enough to prohibit the man from doing it again.... being capable of doing it again.... or even of continuing to live.

Now consider the concept of hell. Some descriptions of it are so bad that a good afternoon of torture followed by a relatively pleasant evening of brutal rape would all be relatively a holiday compared to hell. Not only is hell worse but it is ETERNAL and eternity is a long time. Being tortured and raped for a few days would be a welcome relief from the torments of hell as some people describe it.

And a mans child can be sent there merely for having the wrong ideas or acting in the wrong way. The heathen or non-believer can send that child on the false path and therefore to hell merely with the use of WORDS by convincing that child of the wrong religion or of no religion/god at all.

So long as this concept of hell is there, and people of other religions or no religion at all are a threat, I see no reason to expect us to live in peaceful coexistence at all... let alone actually have our species survive our religious differences indefinitely as adherents to each religion gain access to steadily increasing levels of weaponry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or