Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 09:23 PM

397 posts, read 608,392 times

Advertisements

i know this thread has been posted more than i could count on one hand but unfortunately most of the threads get filled with a bunch of bickering back and forth.

therefore i have decided to invite those who want to know more about islam or wish to have a discussion send me a direct message so i can concentrate on one person at a time rather than going through pages of bickering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 10:39 PM

33,536 posts, read 37,136,097 times
No.

Old 02-23-2011, 04:54 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,556,553 times
If you are a Muslim willing to just answer questions, and not tell us why we must convert, I could go for it. Although I have taken some classes on Islamic history so I'm not sure that's much I feel the need to know. I guess I could ask of you.

What kind of Muslim are you?: Sunni, Shiite, Ibadi, or Ismaili? (I know most Muslims don't deem groups like Ahmadiyya to be Islam so I skipped them. Also I'm aware Ismaili is counted as a form of Shiite, but they seem to be treated separate)

What Madhhab are you closest to?: Maliki, Shafii, Hanafi, Hanbali, Ja'fari, or Zaydi?

Are you Sufi? If so what order?

Are you Salafi? If so what kind?

Old 02-24-2011, 01:21 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,206,409 times
No. I lived in the Islamic motherland for 2 years so I know enough about Islam to know that I don't want to know anything more.

Old 02-24-2011, 09:26 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,620,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukrill View Post
i know this thread has been posted more than i could count on one hand but unfortunately most of the threads get filled with a bunch of bickering back and forth.

therefore i have decided to invite those who want to know more about islam or wish to have a discussion send me a direct message so i can concentrate on one person at a time rather than going through pages of bickering.
I actually have a question to ask you. I normally don't entertain people of other religions and belief systems because I don't have time for the blazy-blah and the arguments. But I have inquired once or twice a few things about the Islamic religion.

1. Why do you guys bow your heads to ground? I've always thought it was a huge contrast to Christians when we bow our heads, but pray upward. You guys do it downward. Not to sound self righteous but if I wasn't naive, I would say it seems like your bowing down to someone in the ground.

2. Why do it say in the Quran to kill any unbeliever?

3. Do you believe the Quran has powers? I have never touched a Quran in fear of getting a curse or something similar.

4. Why does the Quaran say that you can beat your wife?

Well, that's all I have to ask. Hopefully you don't take this the wrong way. I'm open to discussing my beliefs with you as long as your respectful. If your not, I will never bother with Islam ever again.

Old 02-24-2011, 11:52 PM

271 posts, read 355,779 times
Quote:
1. Why do you guys bow your heads to ground? I've always thought it was a huge contrast to Christians when we bow our heads, but pray upward. You guys do it downward. Not to sound self righteous but if I wasn't naive, I would say it seems like your bowing down to someone in the ground.
That's how we are ordered to do prayers, Prophet Muhammad - peace and blessings be uponordered us to pray like he did.

Going through the salah-prayer "process" makes one:

1- Acknowledge God as being the most high by bowing "physically" ones head and body.

2- Able to control and restrain one?s self by setting a time for worshipping out of one?s normal daily life.

3- Aware that just like there is time for working, eating and playing, there is also time to remember God.

4- In standing with other Muslims in congregation and bowing down together, one forgets the worldly differences. All Muslims are the same before God regardless of any differences they may have. Not only by words "we all are the same before God", but also with complete submission in action.

5- Acknowledges a unified structure for the formal prayer, as all Muslims worship the same way.

6- Obedient to God by following the authentic way, which He taught His Messengers to worship Him.

http://goodislam.com/introduction/pray_way_10.html

N.B.

In contrast to what today christians do today, Christ used to bow to Allah just like muslims
"And he (Jesus) went a little further,and fell on his face, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if it be possible?" (Mat. 26:39)

Quote:
2. Why do it say in the Quran to kill any unbeliever?
It doesn't.
About Jihad - Misquoting Quran - Part 1
Quote:
3. Do you believe the Quran has powers? I have never touched a Quran in fear of getting a curse or something similar.
God has. Quran can't be touched. It's Mushaf what could be touched. Quran is the recited form. Mushaf is the written form.
Quote:
4. Why does the Quaran say that you can beat your wife?
It's all about interpretation of the word :"waidriboohunna"

Men are in charge of women by [right of] what Allah has given one over the other and what they spend [for maintenance] from their wealth. So righteous women are devoutly obedient, guarding in [the husband's] absence what Allah would have them guard. But those [wives] from whom you fear arrogance( ill conduct) - [first] advise them; [then if they persist], forsake them in bed; and [finally],"aidriboohunna" . But if they obey you [once more], seek no means against them. Indeed, Allah is ever Exalted and Grand.

Untitled Document

Wife Discipline - Misconceptions About Women - WomenInIslam.ws

Last edited by Truth light; 02-25-2011 at 01:04 AM..

Old 02-25-2011, 08:18 AM

13,621 posts, read 12,730,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth light View Post
That's how we are ordered to do prayers, Prophet Muhammad - peace and blessings be uponordered us to pray like he did.

Going through the salah-prayer "process" makes one:

1- Acknowledge God as being the most high by bowing "physically" ones head and body.

2- Able to control and restrain one?s self by setting a time for worshipping out of one?s normal daily life.

3- Aware that just like there is time for working, eating and playing, there is also time to remember God.

4- In standing with other Muslims in congregation and bowing down together, one forgets the worldly differences. All Muslims are the same before God regardless of any differences they may have. Not only by words "we all are the same before God", but also with complete submission in action.

5- Acknowledges a unified structure for the formal prayer, as all Muslims worship the same way.

6- Obedient to God by following the authentic way, which He taught His Messengers to worship Him.

pray_way_10

N.B.

In contrast to what today christians do today, Christ used to bow to Allah just like muslims
"And he (Jesus) went a little further,and fell on his face, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if it be possible?" (Mat. 26:39)

It doesn't.
About Jihad - Misquoting Quran - Part 1
God has. Quran can't be touched. It's Mushaf what could be touched. Quran is the recited form. Mushaf is the written form.
It's all about interpretation of the word :"waidriboohunna"

Men are in charge of women by [right of] what Allah has given one over the other and what they spend [for maintenance] from their wealth. So righteous women are devoutly obedient, guarding in [the husband's] absence what Allah would have them guard. But those [wives] from whom you fear arrogance( ill conduct) - [first] advise them; [then if they persist], forsake them in bed; and [finally],"aidriboohunna" . But if they obey you [once more], seek no means against them. Indeed, Allah is ever Exalted and Grand.

Untitled Document

Wife Discipline - Misconceptions About Women - WomenInIslam.ws
ya>> but can woman be in charge of a man in islam..??? can a woman beat her husband if he is bad in islam..???

Old 02-25-2011, 10:34 AM

4,612 posts, read 4,894,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth light View Post
all Muslims worship the same way.
Do you think Muslim countries will be able to handle democracy?

At this moment, many of the Muslim countries are over-throwing their dictators. Do you think these countries will be able to establish democracies like the Western countries or will they just become new authoritarian regimes like Iran?

Democracy is a very messy system, but at least the people have a chance to elect leaders that represent them. However, in a democratic government, we have to be able to work with people who do not agree with us.

Muslims are used to being with people who all pray alike and who all think alike. With a mindset like that, it may be very hard to establish a democratic government.

I heard one Egyptian say, "The Americans get to choose a new leader every four years. Why can't we do that?"

It is because we have a democracy and Egypt does not.

Old 02-25-2011, 11:13 AM

7,996 posts, read 12,273,833 times
Members of other religions have every bit as much right to post here as anyone else. A number of posts that are rude/sarcastic have had to be deleted in this thread. If you don't wish to participate in the thread than that is fine. However, any further rude and/or sarcastic posts will not just be deleted, but infracted.

Please use respect in posting, depsite personal feelings.

Thanks.

Old 02-25-2011, 09:07 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,894,522 times
I hope someone will address my question.

After Truth Light said that "all Muslims worship the same way", I began wondering if Muslims like uniformity so much that it would prevent them from supporting a democracy where the elected leaders have to deal with people they do not agree with.

Of course, it took our Western society hundreds of years to develop democratic traditions, so we should not expect the Muslim world to change too quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam