U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 07:10 AM

4,083 posts, read 4,423,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Whatever, they better treat America's future religion with respect

Americas future religion? What would that be??????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 07:17 AM

563 posts, read 800,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
No, they think its extremists in their own religion with a misguided view of Islam. And they feel pretty powerless...

Most religions don't police their own......
I have found this to be true among my Muslim friends, also. The extremist are a small fractional percentage. I hear often they are egged on by the media. Though not covered enough in the American media, the civilian death count in the Afganistan, Pakistan, and Iraq is a big factor in the growth of extremism.

We are doing nothing in Afganistan to stop terrorism, we are simply fueling a growing fire. Why are we still there - a decade later? Do you really think we are fighting al-Qa'ida there? If so, you are seriously misled and understand little of the conflict.

And the media doesn't cover how many extremist are caught due to being turned in by other Muslims. To now turn the focus on them, as if they weren't helping, is only going to reduce cooperation, not enhance it. Stupid, stupid, stupid. Many Muslims speak out, but it's not on a national scale. Do westerners think they are led by a Pope or something? Most are from different counties, cultures, philosophies, etc.

To fear Sharia will take over is another incredibly stupid fear. But in many ways, I wish it would. Then we wouldn't have problems like this;

Child Killer Michael Woodmansee to Get Early Release But Victim's Father Vows to Kill Him - ABC News

Wait til he gets hold of one of your kids. You'll wish Sharia had cut this man's head off decades prior.

You know what though? It's plain human ignorance that's going to be the end of us. No one today is interested in working together to find a solution. The answer lately seems to be run and hide, or get hysterical based on whatever crap the media has fed us. We, as a people, have forgotten how to think.

Last edited by WonderingWanderer; 03-10-2011 at 07:30 AM..

Old 03-10-2011, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gplex View Post
I read the news most days, and I don't see Americans killing muslims, I see muslims killing muslims, then blaming it on Americans.
You need to expand your list of news sources. Americans have killed FAR more civilian Muslims than Muslims have killed Americans.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civilia...2%80%93present)

Iraq Body Count

Old 03-10-2011, 11:59 AM

4,380 posts, read 2,930,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodToBeHome View Post
I was interested in the opinions of how people felt about the hearing that will be conducted shortly on Muslims in America that have become radicalized.

Is the hearing appropriate? Is it needed? Is it out of line? Fears? Do you think some people are not testifying because they are fearful of repercussions from there own community?

Thoughts?
I look at Europe and see what spineless people they've become in the face of Islam. I don't want the same to happen here. The Left screams about Christianity being intolerant but they are fine with Islamic doctrine.

Old 03-10-2011, 12:11 PM

4,083 posts, read 4,423,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflight View Post
I look at Europe and see what spineless people they've become in the face of Islam. I don't want the same to happen here. The Left screams about Christianity being intolerant but they are fine with Islamic doctrine.

Christianity has already gone through its violent periods and make no mistake it has much blood on its hands.

We need to be balanced as a country to not fall to islamophobia but to not be so politically correct that we overlook problems because we are afraid to step on toes.

Personally I am not ok with religious extremists be they Christian or Muslim.

Old 03-10-2011, 12:22 PM

656 posts, read 931,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflight View Post
yourself.

This has to be a Fox News talking point. Is it a Glenn Beck-ism? I hear it repeated frequently and it's incredibly stupid to anybody who thinks about it for more than half a second.

What in modern American progressive thought is compatible with "Islamic doctrine"? (other than ideas like looking after the poor and disadvantaged, which isn't exactly unique to Islam) The overwhelming majority of liberals want a secular society where everyone is free to worship as they please, just so long as they're not hurting anybody and they don't try to force their faith on anyone else (especially not in politics).

Old 03-10-2011, 02:15 PM
Status: "Trump 2020-make liberals cry again" (set 2 days ago)

16,343 posts, read 8,888,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderingWanderer View Post
You need to expand your list of news sources. Americans have killed FAR more civilian Muslims than Muslims have killed Americans.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civilia...2%80%93present)

Iraq Body Count
One of your links said 76% had been killed by Taliban forces. ???

Old 03-10-2011, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
One of your links said 76% had been killed by Taliban forces. ???
True, but that figure only applied to 2009. It's been 10 years of fighting. By now, we should have put a serious hurting on them, or gotten out. We're not fully committed and it's drawing this conflict out longer and longer. I personally consider the Taliban to be extremists also and wish the rules-of-engagement guidelines were alot freer and our troops could be let loose on the whole bunch.

Sadly, news like this dominates the region;

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/03/wo.../03afghan.html

and only creates more hatred towards the West. And more extremeists. There is no winning.

Old 03-10-2011, 09:24 PM

397 posts, read 534,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgt04 View Post
This is so true.

Not for nothing but you don't hear a lot in the American Muslim community denouncing radical Muslims. Not saying they agree with the Islamic extremists but still. If they had any sense they'd be trying to publicly separate themselves from the extremists giving them a bad name.

I wish American Muslims would come out and discuss Sharia Law as well. There's so many websites out there describing Sharia Law and many of them appear to be very right-winged biased or too liberal based. I'd like to know what they think about Sharia Law and whether they feel it should be implemented into US laws (of course I don't want it).

I'm not sure how I feel about these hearings. Its good to bring awareness to the situation but whats the next step afterwards? Its a big pickle for the US...damned if you do, and damned if you don't. To me its not IF the next terrorist attack on US soil happens due to Islamic extremists or radicalization, but WHEN. Anyone who thinks this won't happen again is clearly naive.
you should read this article... ACLU, Muslim group sue FBI - National Law Enforcement | Examiner.com...

to sum it up the fbi sent an undercover agent into a mosque. this is not written in the article but i had actually heard this on tv yesterday on a press conference meeting entitled "Muslims in America". one of the brothers actually said that the muslims in that mosque felt that this person was acting strange and in a way was trying to promote violence and as soon as they felt this they called law enforcement only to find that he was part of law enforcement.

what i was wondering is why is this not big news? why was a story not done on this so people can see that muslims DO NOT support violence at all... and then i started thinking deeper... why is it that in history you have always heard of terrorist but never "christian" terrorist or "buddhist" terrorist, there have been terrorist organizations before but why is it that when an "islamic" terrorist group is known every time there is a story about a "muslim" terrorist they make it a point to say "islamic" or "muslim" terrorist...

the truth is there are terrorist from all races, religions, cultures, etc. but most of the time these radicals who end up being terrorist only make up a small percentage of the entire religion.

i think its unfair that some people base the whole religion on what they see on tv. but the fact of the matter is, if you type in "terrorist" without even typing "islamic" or "muslim" beforehand.. just type in "terrorist" and unfortunately there is a bunch of people dressed as muslims. i cant say they are or are not muslims because i do not know honestly.

but what i am trying to say is that i am aware that due to the undescribable pain and acts caused by 911, that islam is in the spotlight, but i feel that the majority is not trying to make anything better. of course, this is all just my thoughts and my opinions but i just became a muslim less than a year ago and i am automatically looked down upon because of what i believe by a lot of people just because of what the media portrays and what others have done. i also know this is inevitable because no matter what someone is always going to disagree or dislike you whether you believe or dont, but has it come to this? having a press conference on "muslims in america"? what happened to freedom of religion? is that soon going to exclude islam?

it is scary because i just believe in god. i do not agree with what ANY terrorist does no matter what religion, etc. because obviously i dont agree with terrorism and islam does not promote terrorism. in fact, the word islam derives from a word meaning peace. so when anyone says "islam terrorist" it doesnt make sense because thats like saying "peace terrorist". the two should not be in the same category at all.

this is just my opinion and some may disagree but theres nothing we can do except wait and see what comes from all of this. i just hope for the best because i get scared of my family being judged or discriminated simply because of what they believe...

Old 03-11-2011, 07:46 AM

4,172 posts, read 5,990,068 times
I have mixed feelings about these hearings, especially when they come from a known sympathiser of IRA - which was decalred a terrorist org. by both US and UK. Here is Jon Stewart's amusing take on this:
Jon Stewart Slams The Hypocrisy Of Peter King (VIDEO)

However, I do want FBI to be looking into all kinds of radicals, inlcuding killers of abortion doctors, child abusing priests, muslim radicals, militia organizations, etc., and there are smart ways of dong this without pi$$ing moderates off. We rely heavily on muslims to catch radicals in their midst. I think these public hearings are just to solidify King's own base.

Aside: We have had the biggest economic crisis and not one big shot (Madoff does not count) has gone to jail - congress should be going after the crooks but it won't since these crooks fund elections of both sides. We have spent more on investigating Bill Clinton than on 9-11. Congress should pick bigger fish to fry.

Last edited by calmdude; 03-11-2011 at 08:29 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam