Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 11:38 PM

889 posts, read 825,357 times

Advertisements

I was interested in the opinions of how people felt about the hearing that will be conducted shortly on Muslims in America that have become radicalized.

Is the hearing appropriate? Is it needed? Is it out of line? Fears? Do you think some people are not testifying because they are fearful of repercussions from there own community?

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2011, 11:51 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,042,004 times
I want to be safe in my country. Right now radical muslims are at war with everything they don't agree with. I live near the nations capitol so I know I live near a target.

Old 03-10-2011, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
I want to be safe in my country. Right now radical muslims are at war with everything they don't agree with. I live near the nations capitol so I know I live near a target.
Do you have any close Muslim friends? If so, have you ever talked about radical Islam and inquired about their position on the subject.

Old 03-10-2011, 02:07 AM

659 posts, read 1,101,819 times
What is the purpose of these hearings? What exactly are they supposed to accomplish?

Wait, let me rephrase that a little. We know what it's supposed to accomplish: it's going to stir up a lot of anger and bad blood, hopefully firing up the conservative base as elections approach, and to distract the media and everyone while the Republicans continue to pass horrible legislations to further erode the American middle class and the Democrats do nothing to stop it.

But of course they'll never admit that. So what do they CLAIM it's going to accomplish?

Old 03-10-2011, 02:35 AM

2,782 posts, read 4,165,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodToBeHome View Post
I was interested in the opinions of how people felt about the hearing that will be conducted shortly on Muslims in America that have become radicalized.

Is the hearing appropriate? Is it needed? Is it out of line? Fears? Do you think some people are not testifying because they are fearful of repercussions from there own community?

Thoughts?
I read the news most days, and I don't see Americans killing muslims, I see muslims killing muslims, then blaming it on Americans.

All I hear from muslims, is that they are "mistreated", and westerners are not showing them enough "respect", that they should leave "muslim land" (iraq) where they have some strange delusion that the land belong to them and not saddam hussein and his sons before the americans showed up..

Atheists are still the most hated group after gays, BUT THERE'S A REASON YOU DON'T SEE GAYS FLYING PLANES INTO BUILDINGS!!!!

Old 03-10-2011, 04:17 AM

2,256 posts, read 6,956,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gplex View Post
I read the news most days, and I don't see Americans killing muslims, I see muslims killing muslims, then blaming it on Americans.

All I hear from muslims, is that they are "mistreated", and westerners are not showing them enough "respect", that they should leave "muslim land" (iraq) where they have some strange delusion that the land belong to them and not saddam hussein and his sons before the americans showed up..

Atheists are still the most hated group after gays, BUT THERE'S A REASON YOU DON'T SEE GAYS FLYING PLANES INTO BUILDINGS!!!!
This is so true.

Not for nothing but you don't hear a lot in the American Muslim community denouncing radical Muslims. Not saying they agree with the Islamic extremists but still. If they had any sense they'd be trying to publicly separate themselves from the extremists giving them a bad name.

I wish American Muslims would come out and discuss Sharia Law as well. There's so many websites out there describing Sharia Law and many of them appear to be very right-winged biased or too liberal based. I'd like to know what they think about Sharia Law and whether they feel it should be implemented into US laws (of course I don't want it).

I'm not sure how I feel about these hearings. Its good to bring awareness to the situation but whats the next step afterwards? Its a big pickle for the US...damned if you do, and damned if you don't. To me its not IF the next terrorist attack on US soil happens due to Islamic extremists or radicalization, but WHEN. Anyone who thinks this won't happen again is clearly naive.

Old 03-10-2011, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Do you have any close Muslim friends? If so, have you ever talked about radical Islam and inquired about their position on the subject.
I do and we have and they all think their religion has been hijacked by the extremists. They don't agree with the extremists and they don't want to be lumped in with the extremists just because they are Muslim.

They are folks just like everyone else who have jobs, raise families and live in homes in the suburbs here.

Old 03-10-2011, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
I do and we have and they all think their religion has been hijacked by the extremists. They don't agree with the extremists and they don't want to be lumped in with the extremists just because they are Muslim.

They are folks just like everyone else who have jobs, raise families and live in homes in the suburbs here.

Do your friends think American and Israel are the cause of this issue or do your moderate friends think the extremists in their own religion are the cause. Do they ever discuss what they think they can do about it?

Old 03-10-2011, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Do your friends think American and Israel are the cause of this issue or do your moderate friends think the extremists in their own religion are the cause. Do they ever discuss what they think they can do about it?

No, they think its extremists in their own religion with a misguided view of Islam. And they feel pretty powerless... I also think there are many Muslims out there working to change the tide but they don't get much air time. Its better news to show all the bad stuff. We are pretty Islamophobic in this country.

Last edited by Jazzymom; 03-10-2011 at 06:42 AM..

Old 03-10-2011, 06:51 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,715,345 times
Whatever, they better treat America's future religion with respect
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam