U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 01:24 PM

2,108 posts, read 2,503,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidGeorge View Post
I think a better analogy would be that of Muslims burning the Bible.
I still think burning a photo of the pastor's daughter is a better analogy. Why? Muslims believe in the Bible as well; it is just not quite as highly regarded as the Quran; and Western Christians for the most part aren't as bothered by someone burning a Bible as Muslims are by someone burning a Quran. Similarly Western Christians may be offended by cartoons making fun of Jesus, but not as highly offended as Muslims are by cartoons making fun of Muhammed.

Some Westerners are arrogant and egotistical to think everyone else in the world should share their values and attitude toward life. They think hey if I am not bothered by it, you shouldn't be either. I think that it is good to understand that ours is but one culture among many. Some value respect a lot more than others. Even American culture a few decades ago valued respect a lot more than it does now. And who is to say that our current lack of respect is an improvement over our former valuing of respect, or that more cultures should become less concerned with disrespect as America has?

Approving or accepting someone going out of their way to put another person or group of people down because we think the offended party is too "sensitive" is boorish. I am not talking about an accidental offense, but a purposeful, planned offense. Do we tacitly accept a bully teasing and putting a person down because we think the recipient of the bullying is too sensitive to the constant, mean-spirited intimidation?

That which wouldn't hurt us, might still hurt someone else, and it doesn't make that person inferior simply because they get hurt at something we don't get hurt by. If I slap you and a buddy on the back, and you flinch because you have a sunburn and he doesn't because he doesn't have a sun burn, does that give me the right to keep slapping you so that we can make fun of how sensitive you are to a little slap.

We have different values than the rest of the world. Ours aren't automatically better just because we were born with them and they are ours. I'm not saying that we should become more sensitive, but I am saying that I can't fault a Muslim for being offended when a Quran is burned. They value the Quran; I don't; but I do value respecting my fellow human beings enough to not go out of my way to insult or offend them. That is just good citizenship and pro-social behavior.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2011, 01:40 PM

5,563 posts, read 6,329,507 times
Doing this achieves nothing, like my dad can beat up your dad at junior school.

What is more harmful is the way folk interpret and apply what is written in those books.

I really wonder what statement they were trying to convey? Pot, Kettle?

Old 03-24-2011, 02:32 PM

124 posts, read 106,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueffenhardt View Post
I still think burning a photo of the pastor's daughter is a better analogy. Why? Muslims believe in the Bible as well; it is just not quite as highly regarded as the Quran; and Western Christians for the most part aren't as bothered by someone burning a Bible as Muslims are by someone burning a Quran. Similarly Western Christians may be offended by cartoons making fun of Jesus, but not as highly offended as Muslims are by cartoons making fun of Muhammed.
And that shows the absurdity of Muslim hypocrisy.

Old 03-24-2011, 11:22 PM

7,088 posts, read 13,064,339 times
A Quran is burned

There are worse things, toilet paper comes to mind.

Old 03-25-2011, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
A Quran is burned

There are worse things, toilet paper comes to mind.
One guy says to the pastor, "Why are you upset that I burned a picture of your daughter? At least I didn't use her photo as toilet paper."

Minimizing is pathetic.

Old 03-25-2011, 06:00 AM

20,976 posts, read 16,302,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
The fact that this guy is a Pastor is what makes this terribly ridiculous. This isnt about what the constitution or supreme court says. Its about this stupid guy who is supposedly a "man of god" who does something just so outlandishly ridiculous. What an idiot.

EDIT: I responded just to your question. I clicked on the link after I responded and saw that it was that idiot from last year who did it. Such old news. Hope not all people in that area are not as stupid as the people who are parishiners of his church. He's borderline Jim Jones stupid.
This is not about Rev Wright.

Stay on topic!

Old 03-25-2011, 06:03 AM

20,976 posts, read 16,302,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
It is just a book, but you are totally missing the point on this. If it were you, or me, just plain dudes who did this, no big deal. But here is a guy who calls himself a man of god, a theologist, a PASTOR, THIS is what makes this such a horrible thing. Do you NOT get that?
That does not preclude him from his 1st amendment rights.

Whether you agree or not doesn't matter.

I wouldn't do it, but I'll fight to my death for his right to do so.

Old 03-25-2011, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
That does not preclude him from his 1st amendment rights.

Whether you agree or not doesn't matter.

I wouldn't do it, but I'll fight to my death for his right to do so.
Yes, the 1st amendment makes it so that the federal government cannot make laws that would restrict his freedom of expression. So, he can do it without getting in trouble with the law. Big whoop! It doesn't make it right and it does matter that we don't like what he is doing and that we condemn it with our freedom of expression.

More basic than laws are societal expectations. There is nothing wrong with speaking out against acts which we see as mean-spirited. We are letting the rest of society know what we see as unacceptable and are discouraging them from doing further mean-spirited acts.

In free societies and democracies, it is the ideas that have the most popular support that turn the tide of behaviors. If there are no laws against it: where it is acceptable for women to work, we have more women working; where it is societally unacceptable for women to work, we have fewer women working. When it was unacceptable to live together without being married, there were few unmarried couples living together; when it became tolerable to society at large, more unmarried couples started living together.

There will always be lone wolves who go off on their own and do what they will do regardless of whether society approves or not, but if society approves of a behavior, you will see a huge increase in that behavior.

So, it does matter how we as a society react to this pastor's actions. If we tacitly approve or say nothing, we will see more and more of this kind of mean-spirited behavior. If we unite our voices in condemning the act, fewer people will do it. So, it does matter whether we like it or not and how we respond. Everything doesn't have to be about whether someone can legally do something or not.

Old 03-25-2011, 09:46 AM

1,745 posts, read 1,887,929 times
Religious people have done more harm burning books than anyone else. There's no telling what knowledge was lost to the world when Christians burned the last remnants of the library in Alexandria.

If ANY books deserve to be burned it would be the Quran and The Bible. They have wrought more death, destruction and hate in humanity than any other book or belief in history.

Old 03-25-2011, 09:51 AM

13,144 posts, read 19,234,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
Eh, it's just a book. One that has been reprinted many times over since the burning. It's not a one of a kind artifact. In short, I could not care less. Burn away.

Bu..But what about the threat of Global Warming?! Stop burning books, if only to save the polar bears.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam