U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 10:49 PM

30,883 posts, read 31,776,624 times

Advertisements

CNN is airing this story Sunday. Here is the gist of it.

Murfreesboro, Tennessee has just over 100,000 people, 140+ churches, and one mosque. For decades, Muslims have lived and prayed in Murfreesboro without incident, but last May, when the Muslim community gained county approval to build a new 52,000 square foot Islamic center in town, hundreds of Murfreesboro residents took to the streets in protest.
Unwelcome: The Muslims Next Door - Educator and Parent Guide - CNN.com

What stands out in the above for me is the number of churches in this little city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2011, 11:07 PM

16,300 posts, read 24,969,718 times
Searching on "churches" in the yellow pages for Asheville returns 580 results.

There is a reason it's called the bible belt

Old 03-26-2011, 02:19 AM

5,563 posts, read 6,321,442 times
Makes me glad that I live in SA.

We had a protest my the whackaloons here when the Chinese erected a Buddhist temple and conference center in a small town near where I stay. This axis of evil was thought to herald the preparation for the antichrist and one world religion.

It went up was finished expanded the town iro new homes and new jobs and now everyone loves it.

The meme going around was that these temples are only built on certain geographic locations where magnetic field cross with dome other energy fields. This obviously would not have been allowed if the old regime with their christian values were still in power.

Oh BTW the sky did not fall, the antichrist did not appear, the sun still rises in the east and wets in the west..

Yeah we have our fundies too.

Here is a link to pics It is now listed as a tourist attraction of the town.

Old 03-26-2011, 01:42 PM

56,141 posts, read 54,613,656 times
My Dutch Reformed grandfather flipped back in the late 1950's when they built a Catholic church in my town.

The ever-threatening "They" come in many forms.

Old 03-26-2011, 06:36 PM

541 posts, read 872,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
CNN is airing this story Sunday. Here is the gist of it.
What stands out in the above for me is the number of churches in this little city.
The wife and i went down to tennessee last summer to visit her sister and 2 boys,in nashville,driving thru,there were a lot of church's,but it got worse,won't go over the part about beer and liquor aren't sold in the same store?anyway went for a drive on sunday down there and all the church's were full,creepy,like children of the corn creepy,there are more churches than people down there...go figure

Old 03-26-2011, 06:50 PM

6,839 posts, read 7,900,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-IRISH View Post
The wife and i went down to tennessee last summer to visit her sister and 2 boys,in nashville,driving thru,there were a lot of church's,but it got worse,won't go over the part about beer and liquor aren't sold in the same store?anyway went for a drive on sunday down there and all the church's were full,creepy,like children of the corn creepy,there are more churches than people down there...go figure
In MANY areas of the U.S., churches are in disproportionate #'s. Mostly the south, but I noticed it a lot in West Virginia when I was there. I know what u mean by Children of the Corn scary!

On the flipside, I live in Oregon, one of the states with the LEAST churches in the nation, and beer and liquor are separate in stores. That is a state issue more than a religious issue.

Old 03-26-2011, 06:51 PM

I've never had the pleasure of visiting the bible belt, but with 140+ churches, presumably mostly Christian, and only one mosque I don't see the reason that they would object to an Islamic center....It's not like they are being overrun with Muslims is it?

Old 03-27-2011, 01:48 AM

771 posts, read 861,580 times
Are people so insecure in the beliefs or is that the only exercise the low end of that community get

Old 03-27-2011, 09:54 PM

591 posts, read 561,147 times
Christians and Jews are being mass murdered because of the Koran. Sanctioned by the Koran. Islam is all about dictatorship over freedom. It is evil. People are just starting to wake up.

Old 03-27-2011, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ball Pean View Post
Christians and Jews are being mass murdered because of the Koran. Sanctioned by the Koran. Islam is all about dictatorship over freedom. It is evil. People are just starting to wake up.
Yes, and Muslims are being mass murdered by Christians too. Historically Christians have murdered more Muslims and Jews than the other way around....In my opinion the world would be far better off with no religions at all.
Home / World Wide / Americas / History shows Jews and Christians killed more Muslims than Muslims killed Jews and Christians - Media Monitors Network (MMN)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam