Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 09:54 AM

33,536 posts, read 37,136,097 times

Advertisements

I am sorely disappointed in our resident Muslims. It has been days, and only one has responded, plus I have yet to see a Muslim cleric publicly denounce the violence over this incident...

How are we to believe that Islam is a religion of peace?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2011, 01:39 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,657,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
Hate is born of fear. Fear comes from not knowing. Not knowing is stupidity and it can be cured. Once a person ceases being stupid they began to know, thus they begin to not fear, thus they quit hating. Cure stupidity and you cure hate.
These words I wholeheartedly agree with........ It is out of ignorance that atrocities have been committed against mankind. Knowledge is the biggest enemy of religion.

Old 04-06-2011, 03:29 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,185,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
Knowledge is the biggest enemy of religion.
That distills it down to its essence, I'd say!

Old 04-06-2011, 03:59 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,733,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
Hate is born of fear. Fear comes from not knowing. Not knowing is stupidity and it can be cured. Once a person ceases being stupid they began to know, thus they begin to not fear, thus they quit hating. Cure stupidity and you cure hate.
Point worth noting that illiteracy rates in the middle east are as follows:
1. Afghanistan 72% illiteracy
2. Pakistan 50% illiteracy
3. Mauritania 49% illiteracy
4. Morocco 48% illiteracy
5. Yemen 46% illiteracy
6. Sudan 39% illiteracy
7. Djibouti 32% illiteracy
8. Algeria 30% illiteracy
9. Iraq 26% illiteracy
10. Tunisia 25.7% illiteracy
11. Egypt 28% illiteracy
12. Comoros 25% illiteracy
13. Syria 19% illiteracy
14. Oman 18% illiteracy
15. Iran 17.6% illiteracy
16. Saudi Arabia 17.1% illiteracy
17. Libya 16% illiteracy
18. Bahrain 13% illiteracy
19. Turkey 12.6% illiteracy
20. Lebanon 12% illiteracy
21. U.A.E. 11.3% illiteracy
22. Qatar 11% illiteracy
23. Jordan 9% illiteracy
24. Palestine 8% illiteracy
25. Kuwait 7% illiteracy
26. Cyprus 3.2% illiteracy
27. Israel 3% illiteracy
28. Azerbaijan 1.2% illiteracy
29. Armenia 1% illiteracy

Is it really any wonder that Afghanistan and Pakistan are the spawning grounds for the worst extremism in the Muslim world?

Old 04-06-2011, 04:27 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,654,488 times
How many have come on here to denounce Fred Phelps? If they don't, does it mean they agree with him? Not necessarily.

I think most of them just want to be left alone, it's the radicals on any topic that get heard.

Old 04-06-2011, 06:03 PM

33,536 posts, read 37,136,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
How many have come on here to denounce Fred Phelps? If they don't, does it mean they agree with him? Not necessarily.

I think most of them just want to be left alone, it's the radicals on any topic that get heard.
Many people here have denounced Phelps time and time again...Including most Christians.....How on earth did you miss that?

All kinds of folks have also denounced Terry Jones, but Muslims denouncing the violence....Not so much...

Old 04-06-2011, 06:13 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,733,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post

I don't know that Fred Phelps needs much denouncing, the man is a walking, living, breathing joke. He hates pretty much everything and everyone outside of his congregation. He does make exceptions for guys like Terry Jones who are willing to be just as idiotic.

But at the end of the day, Fred Phelps isn't killing people. The Muslims who are massacring and rioting are far, far worse people than Fred Phelps. In times past we've seen only a bare minimum of holding murderers to task and punishing them for their crimes whenever they are supposedly defending Islam. My prediction: Few or none of these murders are punished by Afghanistani law for their crimes.

Hamid Karzai has called for Terry Jones to be punished and/or condemned for burning the Koran AFTER his countrymen had already gone on rampage and murdered numerous innocent people.

Seems to me that they've got their priorities all out of whack. The Koran -- a bunch of paper and ink that statistically speaking 72% of them can't even read anyways -- is worth more than a 13 (and counting) human lives. I believe that the Koran itself would disagree with this notion.

Old 04-07-2011, 04:11 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,654,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Many people here have denounced Phelps time and time again...Including most Christians.....How on earth did you miss that?

All kinds of folks have also denounced Terry Jones, but Muslims denouncing the violence....Not so much...
They may have--I haven't seen it--but they're under no obligation to do so!

Old 04-07-2011, 12:11 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,185,132 times
I don't know that more literacy in some of the Middle Eastern countries would help. After all, what would they read, the Quran?

TKramar: There is insufficient provocation in the burning of one Quran by a knuckle-dragging pastor to justify the numerous murders of innocent people. You know that as well as I do, in spite of your tough-guy persona.

Old 04-07-2011, 02:46 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,132,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
It's because they are the "Religion of Peace" ya know. They're just so frickin peaceful.

Granted, Afghanistan is the very anus of the Muslim world in terms of enlightenment, education, culture and civilization. But Islam doesn't get a pass for all of those excuses. If somebody burn mere paper and ink inspires you to murder and massacre, then your religion -- at this point in time -- is garbage.

If Islam claims to be a religion of peace, show it. If Islam claims to be a religion of tolerance, show it. If Islam claims to be against violence and murder, show it. The Islam of today is a hopeless contradiction to all of those things.

If Christianity were to over-react to the same degree ... considering the sheer number of Christian sacred sites, Bibles and other sacred objects that have been either burned or desecrated by Muslims, then I don't know if there would be a single Muslim left alive on the planet from the backlash that should have happened (but didn't.)
You are misunderstanding. Muslim nations have been at war with *somebody* for hundreds, if not thousands of years. When Muslims say that it is the "religion of peace", they mean INNER PEACE because they know that they are following the right path and doing what God (Allah) wants them to do. If you had ever known a Muslim personally (as I have) you know that they are very much at peace with themselves, their life, and the world.

There have always been wars and there will always be wars so long as man is not content to live and let live - or there are riches or resources to be had.

Muslims are not worse and no better than any other religion that has extremists who kill in the name of their god.

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam