U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 08:10 AM

632 posts, read 1,004,727 times

Advertisements

In our post-9/11 world, I often hear people complain that, if there are good Muslims or at least non-extremist Muslims out there, why aren't they more vocal in denouncing terrorism and acts of violence?

Although Muslims denouncing violence and showing solidarity with other Americans during and after the 9/11 attacks is shown in the media, certain elements in our society (e.g. politicians, talk show hosts, etc) continue to paint this picture that Muslims are just out to get us.

So, what do you think Muslims need to do? Do they need to march up and down with banners and painted signs or do they need to do something differently to show that NOT ALL Muslims like to blow things up and kill people?

Lets try and keep this on topic and without resorting to personal attacks or calling each other liberal fools or whatever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2011, 08:26 AM

15,310 posts, read 10,346,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRage View Post
....if there are good Muslims or at least non-extremist Muslims out there, why aren't they more vocal in denouncing terrorism and acts of violence?
Probably the same reason that we don't see Christians condemning Christians that blow up abortion clinics.

Old 05-01-2011, 12:16 PM

2,633 posts, read 4,533,758 times
Sounds a bit pointless. It goes without saying that every moderate in a religion condemns extremism. If you are forced to march to prove to the world that you don't like terrorist then it's a bit sad and more trying to get rid of prejudiced people from confusing you with them than to scare off potential extremists.

Old 05-01-2011, 01:40 PM

591 posts, read 561,147 times
They need to stop loving and covering up for Muhammad and all his terroristic, sexually perverted, unrepentant ways. THey need to throw Muhammad into the Lake of Fire, where he belongs.

Old 05-01-2011, 05:28 PM

27,236 posts, read 41,400,693 times
They need to keep their mouths shut and keep to themselves...just like anyone else.

Most people are quite capable of that, and don't discuss their personal issues with every Tom, Dick, and Mary that come along.

Old 05-01-2011, 05:33 PM

591 posts, read 561,147 times
They need to indoctrine freedom of religion so that anyone that chooses to be anti-Isalm(Christian) has the freedom to do so.

Old 05-01-2011, 05:48 PM

13,856 posts, read 22,976,124 times
I think to an extent some people are going to dislike Muslims no matter what they do because they dislike Islam. Hence the statements about Muhammad here. So for them the only acceptable thing Muslims can do is leave Islam.

Still I think there is some tendency in the Muslim community to deny, deflect, rationalize, or play the victim. To give an example American Muslims are some of the most moderate in the world. They reject extremism, etc more than European Muslims in studies. Yet in 2007 a study indicated that half, or more, of American Muslims did not believe Arabs did 9-11.

Muslim Americans: Middle Class and Mostly Mainstream - Pew Research Center

So it at least feels like there's a tendency among Muslims to not deal with problems in the Muslim world or to shift the topic to something else. So when a seemingly ordinary Muslim commits a terrorist act the only issue for Muslims will seem to be "will anti-Muslim violence increase?" rather than "Is there a problem in our community?" Or a tendency to talk about how we need to really understand the plight of the Palestinians or poor Muslims or what have you. That the West's hostility to the Islamic world is the "real issue." (Hence a surprising number of Muslims liked Ron Paul. He shared their social conservatism and criticism of US foreign policy)

Are Muslim criticisms of US foreign policy valid? To some extent yes. But still the impression people get from this is that Muslims tend not to take any responsibility for their actions and want to blame others when one of them goes astray. And to some degree other forces do have a role, and Americans might ignore that so maybe Muslims feel they have to be the standard bearer for that issue, but Muslims themselves also have a role. The people who bombed the Twin Towers, the Pentagon, or Bali weren't secret Israelis or "fake Muslims." They were Muslims, even if of an extremist interpretation. Many Muslim nations clearly have societal problems or there wouldn't have been these regime changes. And not all those problems are caused by the US and Israel. So I think Muslims acknowledge and condemn terrorism fine, but sometimes they seem to not accept that the Muslim world has problems and that's part of why there are terrorists. That it's not just some bad thing that ultimately means nothing and requires no self-reflection at all.

Old 05-02-2011, 06:09 PM

632 posts, read 1,004,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
They need to stop posting repetitive, proselytizing threads.
I hope you don't think that this is a "repetitive, proselytizing thread"! I agree, that one poster keeps posting the same thread over and over and doesn't add anything new to what he has to say.

He should be banned by the mods if possible...and rep to Thomas R. I agree with your post and I think you are right on the money, Muslims need to acknowledge that there community has problems and they need to deal with it rather than brush it off.

Old 05-02-2011, 06:15 PM

7,288 posts, read 10,862,561 times
I don't really care about this issue, but I do think if Muslim's cared about their collective image, they might do some public service announcements, some acts of charity, go on Bill Maher and Jon Stewart and talk to them, write letters to the editor, etc.

The silence is a bit deafening when they are so severely criticized for having such a violent religion . . . if the public is ignorant, educate the public.

Old 05-02-2011, 09:23 PM

13,856 posts, read 22,976,124 times
There are some top-ranked Muslim charities.

Charity Navigator Rating - Islamic Relief USA
Islamic Relief USA - Home
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...n/4158101.html - "Half of the $2 million given by the California-based Islamic Relief in the wake of Katrina..."
Charity Navigator Rating - Muslim American Society
The Muslim American Society | A Virtuous and Just American Society
Charity Navigator Rating - The Zakat Foundation of America
Zakat Foundation of America
Charity Navigator Rating - Aga Khan Foundation, USA
Aga Khan Foundation

(Some of these I don't know much about)

I used to see some ads with kindly Muslim families quoting things in the Qur'an most everyone would agree with. (Help orphans, be nice to people, stuff like that)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam