U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 04:23 PM

7,945 posts, read 4,770,898 times

Advertisements

http://www.city-data.com/forum/18985357-post2.html

Old 05-02-2011, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
I'm not so sure about that. You've kicked religion out of the public sector on the premise that religion must always be completely separate from state and government. If you tax them then you've dragged them into the public/government realm -- and you can't demand that religion remain silent in the education system or anywhere else.

Separation of church and state cuts both ways.
Unless you are taxing the house of worship. which is a secular building and a property that should be taxed. other things like that.

Old 05-02-2011, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffington View Post
They are non-profit, and, therefore, exempt from taxation.
if you say so.

Old 05-02-2011, 04:53 PM

8,064 posts, read 4,231,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
Unless you are taxing the house of worship. which is a secular building and a property that should be taxed. other things like that.
All I'm saying is if religion can't meddle in government, government must do the same an not meddle in religion. I don't want to be like Europe where I am literally taxed to support the predominant religion where I'm at -- basically a "tithe" added onto my taxes. And I don't want to live in a world like Europe (and the entire world truthfully) back in the day where religion and government were one and the same and heaven help you if you were not a member in good standing of the predominant religion.

The USA was a ground-breaking experiment on this issue, and I don't think giving religion a pass on taxation is too much to ask. If a pastor is charged property tax on his own home, fine and good. But I'm not so sure that the house of worship itself should be subject to property tax. I am not currently handling the books at any church and never have, so I don't know if this is how it works, but I think chapel, temple, cathedral, tabernacle or whatever else you call your dedicated place of worship, it should not be subject to property taxes. If they are then I think it's creating a double-standard: Religion cannot meddle in government but government can meddle in religion.

Old 05-02-2011, 04:56 PM

8,064 posts, read 4,231,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Allah is not watching anyone, because he doesn't exist. Why would two angels need to write down everything I say and do? You claim your god knows and sees everything, so why would he need to have anyone write anything down for him? Also, there is no hell.
If I name my first-born child "Allah", then Allah does exist. I'll name my next two children "Angel."

Now as far as Allah watching you and the two Angels writing down everything, I think we can work on that too. So ... where do you live Cougar?

Old 05-02-2011, 05:33 PM

656 posts, read 935,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Why would Allah, Jesus, God, Yaweh, Zeus, etc. REALLY care about "taboo" things? Do omnipotent beings have absolutely nothing else to worry about than whether one of 7 billion of his "children" are buggering before marriage, or eating pork?

Why make creation, only to punish creation? Is God/Allah a vain individual? Subject to the weaknesses of man? Who stands in judgment of God for his treatment of his "children" (humanity?) When he wipes out entire populations because of his wrath or anger, is that not an immoral act on his/her part?

Too many questions, no convincing answers unless you're already a "believer."

The question is: What if there is no hell?
A god creates a universe with literally billions of trillions of stars, just so he can create a planet around one of them, raise up one species on it to sapience, and then constantly watch and get really upset when one of them has sex with the wrong person or in the wrong position. This is a thing people believe.

Old 05-02-2011, 08:20 PM

13,624 posts, read 11,098,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Non profit? Yeah right!... Tele-Evangelist Lifestyles

hay !! it's hard work tending a flock of sheoples, one should reap it's rewards..

Old 05-02-2011, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
All I'm saying is if religion can't meddle in government, government must do the same an not meddle in religion. I don't want to be like Europe where I am literally taxed to support the predominant religion where I'm at -- basically a "tithe" added onto my taxes. And I don't want to live in a world like Europe (and the entire world truthfully) back in the day where religion and government were one and the same and heaven help you if you were not a member in good standing of the predominant religion.
I don't knowww... "In God We Trust" & "One Nation Under God" and all the other laws that come from religious lobbying.

Quote:

The USA was a ground-breaking experiment on this issue, and I don't think giving religion a pass on taxation is too much to ask. If a pastor is charged property tax on his own home, fine and good. But I'm not so sure that the house of worship itself should be subject to property tax. I am not currently handling the books at any church and never have, so I don't know if this is how it works, but I think chapel, temple, cathedral, tabernacle or whatever else you call your dedicated place of worship, it should not be subject to property taxes. If they are then I think it's creating a double-standard: Religion cannot meddle in government but government can meddle in religion.
ground-breaking experiment without all the religious laws we currently have which I touched on above. All building should be taxed, since they have to be thankful for not being bombed currently. Their prayers sure isn't what is keeping those walls up. The Church Laws are basically run on a State basis, I do believe. My place of worship is MY HOUSE! yet it gets taxed.

Old 05-02-2011, 09:37 PM

13,856 posts, read 23,051,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
I'm for religious freedom, but the churches should be taxed.
Interestingly if they are clearly making profit, not just using money for justified religious reasons, I can see that. However I think, despite what many people here need to believe, many to most churches really are non-profit. And if Humanists want to create non-profit halls where they sing songs, paint, discuss science or literature or whatever I'd probably support those being tax exempt too. Or if just generalized "atheists" want non-profit "Atheist societies" where they play cards and raise money for poorer atheists I could see that also be tax exempt.

I'm kind of a "go it alone" person a bit, but a lot of people need a sense of community. If some kind of Unitarian church or Rationalist Hall would give that for atheists than it should probably be recognized too. (For whatever reason though many atheists, at least here, seem to heartily dislike organizations of any kind and to a lesser extent dislike socialization in general)

Old 05-02-2011, 10:35 PM

11,798 posts, read 22,047,424 times
I was thinking mostly of the obscenely wealthy mage-churches and the Catholic Church when I said churches should be taxed. There is little doubt that the megachurch TV evangelists make scads of money. There is the North Texas Church of Freethought in my area which I think is tax-exempt, but I'm virtually certain that it isn't making a profit, having to rent rooms in hotels for its 'services'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or