U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2013, 07:37 AM

3,851 posts, read 3,522,536 times

Advertisements

I was a pork eating Catholic before I converted.
I cannot even look at a bag of Pork Rinds, or Pork Chops without becoming queasy.
Watching PETA clips on how pigs are slaughtered compounds the issue for me.
There are some laws a Jew does not question, Then there are other laws.........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2013, 09:37 AM

15,511 posts, read 13,302,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilah G. View Post
I was a pork eating Catholic before I converted.
I cannot even look at a bag of Pork Rinds, or Pork Chops without becoming queasy.
Watching PETA clips on how pigs are slaughtered compounds the issue for me.
There are some laws a Jew does not question, Then there are other laws.........
I was a pork chomping Catholic at one time also.

Actually I quit eating pork when I made the mistake of raising pigs. I slaughtered one and the experience was so horrible I could never bring myself to slaughter another. The blasted things are too intelligent to slaughter. The suffering they go through at slaughter is something every pork eater should witness.

Also because of the anatomy of their neck they can not be painlessly slaughtered in the Halal or Kosher manner.

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks

MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's

Old 03-30-2013, 12:17 PM

7,618 posts, read 2,446,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.McClain View Post
Pigs are known to sit in there own dirt, causing them to have dirty meat. Muslim are supposed to treat their bodies like temples, inside and out. That's why piercing, tattoos, and things of that nature are forbidden. But there's a old story someone told me when i was younger; A long time ago allah put all the spirits of the devil into pigs, so by eating a pig and/or hog and/or bore you're choosing to follow the path of evil spirits.
Interesting. I had no idea that this was forbidden for Muslims as well. This is Adventist Christian doctrine and that some other Sabbatarian Christian beliefs. But I have never heard of it being part of Islam, particularly the piercing aspect...and I lived with a Muslim. It was easy because we were both vegetarians though.

Old 03-30-2013, 12:22 PM

7,618 posts, read 2,446,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanBeano View Post
Because they continued the tradition of the Jews (in the Hebrew Bible/Old Testament), even though their (supposed) Prophet Jesus Christ abolished said dietary Law.
I am a Christian and do NOT believe that Jesus Christ abolished the dietary law. Though that is what the majority believe, not all Christians believe that. God wants his people to be holy. We cannot be holy if we eat impure things.

Old 03-30-2013, 05:10 PM

762 posts, read 988,936 times
I'm a vegetarian, I could never eat pork, not for health reasons because I don't believe pork produced today in the right conditions is any more harmful..regards bacteria etc..than any other meat. In fact I think there is a greater risk with chicken, but the fact they are the most intelligent by far than all other domestic farm animals. Its been said that pigs are as intelligent as the average three year old child. They are not dirty, they will never defecate in their sleeping areas and prefer to live in clean conditions with access to outdoors. They only wallow in mud to keep cool in hot weather, as they cannot sweat.

We can tell ourselves it's fine to eat animals..if we kill them humanely or pray over them etc. however that doesn't alter the fact that we are killing a sentinent animal. I consider myself fortunate that I live in a part of the world where food of all types is freely available and so I can choose not to eat meat. Elsewhere in the world people just don't have enough to eat.

Old 03-30-2013, 06:45 PM

15,511 posts, read 13,302,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
Interesting. I had no idea that this was forbidden for Muslims as well. This is Adventist Christian doctrine and that some other Sabbatarian Christian beliefs. But I have never heard of it being part of Islam, particularly the piercing aspect...and I lived with a Muslim. It was easy because we were both vegetarians though.
Jews, Sabeeans, Muslims and some Christians follow the Same dietary Mosaic Laws. I do not see how some Christians justify not following them.

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks

MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's

Old 03-31-2013, 12:29 AM

5 posts, read 5,476 times
Related to the topic , this is what i found out

Answer: The fact that consumption of pork is prohibited in Islam is well known. The following points explain various aspects of this prohibition:

1. Pork-prohibited in Qur’an The Qur’an prohibits the consumption of pork in no less than 4 different places. Its prohibited in 2:173, 5:3, 6:145 and 16:115.

Forbidden to you (for food) are: dead meat, blood, the flesh of swine, and that on which hath been invoked a name other than that of Allah. [Al-Qur’an 5:3] The above verses of the Holy Qur’an are sufficient to satisfy a Muslim as to why pork is forbidden.

2. Pork prohibited in the Bible
The Christian is likely to be convinced by his religious scriptures. The Bible prohibits the consumption of pork, in the book of Leviticus and the swine, as he divideth the hoof, and be cloven footed, yet he cheweth not the cud; he is unclean to you. Of their flesh shall ye not eat, and their carcass shall ye not touch, they are unclean to you. Leviticus chapter 11 verse 7 and 8:

Pork is also prohibited in the book of Deuteronomy
And the swine, because it divideth the hoof, yet cheweth not the cud, it is unclean unto you. Ye shall not eat of their flesh, nor touch their dead carcass. Deuteronomy chapter 14 verse 8:

A similar prohibition is repeated in the book of Isaiah chapter 65 verse 2-5.

3. Consumption of pork causes several diseases
The other non-Muslims and atheists will agree only if convinced through reason, logic and science. Eating of pork can cause no less than seventy different types of diseases. A person can have various Helminthes, like roundworm, pinworm, hookworm, etc. One of the most dangerous is Taenia Solium, which in a layman’s terminology is called tapeworm. It harbours in the intestine and is very long. Its ova i.e. eggs, enter the blood stream and can reach almost all the organs of the body. If it enters the brain it can cause memory loss. If it enters the heart it can cause heart attack and if it enters the eye it can cause blindness. If it enters the liver it can cause liver damage. It can damage almost all the organs of the body.

Another dangerous helminthes is Taenia Tichurasis. A common misconception about pork is that if it is cooked well, these ova die. In a research project undertaken in America, it was found that out of twenty-four people suffering from

Taenia tichurasis, twenty two had cooked the pork very well. This indicates that the ovas present in the pork do not die under normal cooking temperature.

4. Pork has fat building material
Pork has very little muscle building material and contains excess of fat. This fat gets deposited in the vessels and can cause hypertension and heart attack. It is not surprising that over 50% of Americans suffer from hypertension.

5. Pig is one of the filthiest animals on earth
The pig is one of the filthiest animals on earth. It lives and thrives on muck, faeces and dirt. It is the best scavenger that I know that God has produced. In the villages they don’t have modern toilets and the villagers excrete in the open air. Very often excreta is cleared by pigs.

Some may argue that in advanced countries like Australia, pigs are bred in very clean and hygienic conditions. Even in these hygienic conditions the pigs are kept together in sties. No matter how hard you try to keep them clean they are filthy by nature. They eat and enjoy their own as well as their neighbour’s excreta.

------------------
Also while growing up , my parents told me the reason we dont eat pork is, its dirty and filthy lifestyle, we dont eat pork because when the pig is killed not all the blood can be drained in the way mentioned in Islam.

Old 03-31-2013, 10:40 AM

245 posts, read 256,360 times
We don't eat pork but we don't hate the animal itself, we believe its one of the animals God created and it has a job on Earth other than being eaten

Old 04-01-2013, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Jews, Sabeeans, Muslims and some Christians follow the Same dietary Mosaic Laws. I do not see how some Christians justify not following them.
Some Christians believe the Mosaic laws were for the Jews..not Gentiles. As part of the new covenant through Christ all foods were made clean. That is was not what you take into your body that defiles it but what comes out..including bad thoughts.

There is quite a long list of foods that were considered bad to eat, shellfish, road kill etc. it's does seem obvious for the most part they were guidelines for ones health and maintaining god health..like washing ones hands before eating etc.

Actually as a point..camel meat was also forbidden same as pork. Why do you think God changed his mind on the camel meat and allowing muslims to eat it? Does it address this question anywhere in Quran or hadiths? I can't think of anything.

Living in morocco was a turning point for me embracing vegetarianism. I was unlucky enough to see a sheep being slaughtered for Eid and thought enough. Did God put animals on this earth purely to suffer and die for us? maybe everyone who eats meat should be aware of how it gets to our plates, the way the animal lives its life and the manner of its death. If this was so I think there would be a lot more vegetarians around. It was easy for me to give up meat as it was usually one of the things I gave up for lent anyway. Also the meat in Morocco always looked very suspect and not kept in hygienic conditions.

Old 04-01-2013, 05:21 AM

Quote:
The pig is one of the filthiest animals on earth. It lives and thrives on muck, faeces and dirt. It is the best scavenger that I know that God has produced. In the villages they don’t have modern toilets and the villagers excrete in the open air. Very often excreta is cleared by pigs.
I do not agree with this statement. I have heard of pigs being kept as house pets and are quite easily house trained as a dog can be. Not that I agree with keeping them as pets, they are meant to be outside.

As a matter of interest..to all those who decry the lowly Pig as a dirty, unclean animal. A question....

If your health and heart depended on it would you have a heart valve from a pig if you needed a replacement valve?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or