U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2013, 05:36 AM

15,511 posts, read 13,274,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefol View Post
Some Christians believe the Mosaic laws were for the Jews..not Gentiles. As part of the new covenant through Christ all foods were made clean. That is was not what you take into your body that defiles it but what comes out..including bad thoughts.

There is quite a long list of foods that were considered bad to eat, shellfish, road kill etc. it's does seem obvious for the most part they were guidelines for ones health and maintaining god health..like washing ones hands before eating etc.

Actually as a point..camel meat was also forbidden same as pork. Why do you think God changed his mind on the camel meat and allowing muslims to eat it? Does it address this question anywhere in Quran or hadiths? I can't think of anything.

Living in morocco was a turning point for me embracing vegetarianism. I was unlucky enough to see a sheep being slaughtered for Eid and thought enough. Did God put animals on this earth purely to suffer and die for us? maybe everyone who eats meat should be aware of how it gets to our plates, the way the animal lives its life and the manner of its death. If this was so I think there would be a lot more vegetarians around. It was easy for me to give up meat as it was usually one of the things I gave up for lent anyway. Also the meat in Morocco always looked very suspect and not kept in hygienic conditions.
One point in Islam about the prohibited food. If eating any of them is necessary to sustain life and no substitute is available it is permitted to eat it. I believe this is the basis it became permissible to eat camel as for desert travelers who often became lost for weeks or longer in the desert it became a necessity to eat camel many times.

Most Muslims I know place camel in the category of being makroof. No sin to eat it but one should refrain from eating it.

I agree the meat markets in Morocco are enough to turn nearly every meat eater into a vegetarian. Which reminds me on occasion I would find very large lemons for sale Larger than an orange, looked and smelled like lemons but larger and were quite sweet and could be eaten out of hand like an orange.

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks

MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2013, 03:56 PM

762 posts, read 986,775 times
Why is it still eaten today? Most desert travellers use 4x4 in today's desert...

One thing Morocco has is the most lovely fruit and veg.. Oranges, pomegranates and figs..of course lemons, tho large I don't think I've ever seen one as big as an orange...maybe it was a different fruit. Oh..and of course Dates. . I also like the way the fruit is natural clumsy shapes, much like the stuff I grow myself..instead of the regular size and uniform shapes that are found in stores.

Old 04-10-2013, 05:22 AM

210 posts, read 336,864 times
It is disallowed by God for eating.

Old 04-17-2013, 08:24 AM

2,782 posts, read 2,279,229 times
I believe God told me not to eat Pork years ago.

And I have not.

I try not to let people know when I'm dinning with them.
For it just causes a big discussion and I end up being called a Jew!

I just aviod the Pork by telling them I'm just going to eat something else
or just the veggies if Pork is the main dish they serve.

I use to miss it on Pizza for a long time.

Then one day I was in Wal-mart and a restruant was cook'n pizza with pork on it and it make sick to smell it.

I thought Oh-good, I now, no longer miss pizza-pork.

Old 04-17-2013, 09:39 AM

210 posts, read 336,864 times
Peace be on you. Following is hand typed quotation:

Quote:

" One matter to be kept in mind in this context is that in the very name of this animal, God has indicated the reason for the prohibition of its flesh. The Arabic word for swine is Khinzir which is a compound of Khanz and Ara, which mean: I see it very foul. Thus the very name that God Almighty gave to this animal at the beginning points to its unleanliness. It is a curious coincidence that in Hindi this animal is called Su'ar, which is a compond of Su and Ara. This also means: I see it very foul. It should not be a matter of surprise that the Arabic word Su should have found its way into Hindi. We have established in our book Minanur-Rahman, that is the mother of all languages and that many Arabic words are to be found in all languages. Thus Su is an Arabic word and its equivalent in Hindi is bad. This animal is also called bad in Hindi.....................................Everyone knows that iit eats filth and is uterly shameless. Thus the reason for the prophibition of its flesh is obvious, as by the law of nature its flesh would have a foul effect on the body and the soul of one who eats it. As we have already demonstrated food affects a person's soul and there can be no doubt that flesh of such a foul animal would also be foul. Even in pre-Islamic times, Greek physicians had opinion that the flesh of this animal particularly damages the faculty of modesty and fosters shamlessness........."
Reference:
Please Search Book: Philosophy of the Teachings of Islam alislam org 41

"So eat of the lawful and good things which Allah has provided for you; and be grateful for the bounty of Allah, if it is Him you worship."[Holy Quran, ch 16: v 115 alislam.org/quran ]

Last edited by PromisedPeace; 04-17-2013 at 09:47 AM..

Old 04-17-2013, 02:52 PM

762 posts, read 986,775 times
God told me not to eat any meat..so I don't.

Old 04-17-2013, 03:14 PM

15,511 posts, read 13,274,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefol View Post
God told me not to eat any meat..so I don't.
I accept that is a very strong possibility. I can understand why people today are being led aware from meat. I have no doubt God(swt) is leading people away from meat. At least in the "Civilized" nations where meat is now hazardous.

Not only is it no longer a needed part of our diet, most meat sold should be labeled as toxic waste.

Scary when I read how much meat sold in Europe contains up to 25% Horse meat and is not labelled as such and the meat sold in the USA is actually hazardous to your health.

Quote:
(Newser) Horse meat-tainted beef? We should be so lucky. US meat is rife with antibiotic-resistant bacteria, or "superbugs," according to a government study released in February that's just now getting attention. The data hails from 2011, and is the result of testing on ground turkey, pork chops, ground beef, and chicken available at supermarkets; more than half of the samples taken were contaminated with superbugs like salmonella and E. coli. The New York Times reports that this represents a "sizable increase."

SOURCE

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks

MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's

Old 04-18-2013, 01:33 PM

271 posts, read 214,198 times
first of all , most Muslim countries aren't a habitat for pigs. So, it is simply a religious law.

Old 04-23-2013, 03:31 AM

395 posts, read 698,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
I accept that is a very strong possibility. I can understand why people today are being led aware from meat. I have no doubt God(swt) is leading people away from meat. At least in the "Civilized" nations where meat is now hazardous.

Not only is it no longer a needed part of our diet, most meat sold should be labeled as toxic waste.

Scary when I read how much meat sold in Europe contains up to 25% Horse meat and is not labelled as such and the meat sold in the USA is actually hazardous to your health.

SOURCE
Someone invents the food pill and I am so done with eating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by resigned View Post
first of all , most Muslim countries aren't a habitat for pigs. So, it is simply a religious law.
winner winner chicken dinner. Maybe bacon dinner

Old 04-30-2013, 07:00 AM

48 posts, read 81,490 times
It is forbidden to eat pork or any kind if animal that is dirty unclean,it actually states the same thing in bible genesis too.it is unclean beacuse it lives in dirt and eat its own poop which makes some parazites in its body that might be dangerous for human too.i do not understand why people insist of eating it since all holy books are forbbidden it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or