U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2013, 08:50 AM

864 posts, read 733,525 times

Advertisements

Are camels clean?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2013, 12:57 PM

15,511 posts, read 13,279,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwishiwerethin View Post
Are camels clean?
There is some different opinions among scholars regarding if Camels are Halal or Haram regarding eating.

In the Qur'an it is regarded as clean and permitted to be eaten. In the Jewish Torah it is forbidden.

They meet all the criteria of being clean, they eat only plants, have cloven hooves and chew a cud.

However there are Ahadith that cause concern.

Quote:
The hadeeth of Jaabir: the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) was asked, “Should I do wudoo’ after eating camel meat?” He said, “Yes.” The person said: “Should I do wudoo’ after eating mutton?” He said, “If you wish.” (Narrated by Muslim, 360).

The hadeeth of al-Baraa’: the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) was asked about eating camel meat. He said, “Do wudoo’ after eating it.” He was asked about mutton, and he said, “Do not do wudoo’.” (Narrated by Abu Dawood, 184; al-Tirmidhi, 81. Classed as saheeh by Imaam Ahmad and Ishaaq ibn Raahawayh).
SOURCE

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks

MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's

Old 05-21-2013, 10:03 PM

47 posts, read 30,463 times
Pork is unclean. Jesus drove demons into pigs from two men possessed Mark 5:13 In Matt 8:28-37 Demons asked
Jesus to cast them into pigs . When he did the pigs ran into a lake and drowned. Pigs eat cancerous growths from
other pigs ,boils and just about any thing in its path even if ridden with parasites ,dung or partially fermented mush.
Muslims get this as do Jews but since they are unbelievers neither get the New Testament versions above.

Old 05-21-2013, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slightlyeccentric View Post
Pork is unclean. Jesus drove demons into pigs from two men possessed Mark 5:13 In Matt 8:28-37 Demons asked
Jesus to cast them into pigs . When he did the pigs ran into a lake and drowned. Pigs eat cancerous growths from
other pigs ,boils and just about any thing in its path even if ridden with parasites ,dung or partially fermented mush.
Muslims get this as do Jews but since they are unbelievers neither get the New Testament versions above.
Who is an unbeliever is in the eyes of the beholder. To us Muslims we are the believers, all others are unbelievers.

A person of any faith believes he/she is a believer.

The goal of this particular forum is to show the beauty of Islam as seen through the eyes of Muslims. Hopefully non-Muslims who come here will come with the desire to learn what Muslims actually believe in contrast to what many non-Muslims think we believe.

To learn about Christianity or any other faith we visit those specific forums.

Old 08-20-2013, 09:20 AM

1,883 posts, read 1,651,326 times

Why Christians should not eat PIG PORK HAM BACON PAPARONI! by Joel Osteen - YouTube

Old 08-26-2013, 03:04 PM

6,370 posts, read 5,815,580 times
I used to not eat pork at all for many of the various reasons stated here. I'm not Jewish or a Muslim but a Christian (not in the mainstream sense) but later found this interesting text attributed to Barnabas that used to travel with the Apostle Paul:

I won't post it here for brevity but provide a link. There are other sources on the interent as well.

The Epistle of Barnabas (translation Roberts-Donaldson)

You have to look at Chapter 10 (Chapter X) for the details about why the foods were forbidden including pork etc...

Old 09-09-2013, 09:17 PM
Miv

156 posts, read 286,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlinewebsearcher View Post
we all know that muslims HATE pigs and other animals of that species. but has anyone ever wondered why that is. it seems very irrational, its just a animal after all (granted not the prettiest )

just wondering if anyone knew the roots of this islamic hatred and fear of piggys
I'm gonna break this down in a simple format, that can be tested by anyone here with doubts.

Test one: Get 1 pig and 1 lamb. If a lamb is not available a cow will suffice.
Now take a turd, stick a dead rat on top, and vomit over it. Next to this place a bowl of spinach. Place the pig in front and watch what happens: that pig is going to devour the vomit coated rat topped turd first.

Perform the same test with a lamb or cow and they will eat the spinach and get the hell away from the vomit coated rat topped turd.

Test 2: Eat a medium cooked pork chop. Wait.....that's dangerous. I would not recommend that.

Pork may be safe to eat now (even though pigs are disgusting) but in ancient times they were not. Pigs are scavengers and were not raised under the FDA protocols that we have now. Plus pig will ravage precious farm land and crops. This would have been devastating in the middle east were cropland was scarce.

Old 09-09-2013, 09:49 PM

22,592 posts, read 12,334,192 times
I've learned that traditional Jews will not eat pork because of the dietary restrictions according to the laws of Kashrut.

It's not that Jews hate pork, it's a religious custom they learned from the ancient Egyptians during their captivity. The ancient Egyptians also practiced circumcism.

Some Jews believe the Good Lord lifts the ban on pork in Chinese restaurants. "Sylvia, did you try egg rolls? They're delicious. Oh, pass the Mu Shu Por ... I mean Mu Shu Chicken ... "

Old 09-10-2013, 04:11 PM

762 posts, read 987,194 times
Leviticus 11

Clean and Unclean Food

11 The Lord said to Moses and Aaron, 2 “Say to the Israelites: ‘Of all the animals that live on land, these are the ones you may eat: 3 You may eat any animal that has a divided hoof and that chews the cud.

4 “‘There are some that only chew the cud or only have a divided hoof, but you must not eat them. The camel, though it chews the cud, does not have a divided hoof; it is ceremonially unclean for you. 5 The hyrax, though it chews the cud, does not have a divided hoof; it is unclean for you. 6 The rabbit, though it chews the cud, does not have a divided hoof; it is unclean for you. 7 And the pig, though it has a divided hoof, does not chew the cud; it is unclean for you. 8 You must not eat their meat or touch their carcasses; they are unclean for you.

God says in the Bible that the Camel is unclean. Did he change his mind and make the camel clean to muslims? Is it in fact possible that God would change his mind?

Old 09-11-2013, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefol View Post
Leviticus 11

Clean and Unclean Food

11 The Lord said to Moses and Aaron, 2 “Say to the Israelites: ‘Of all the animals that live on land, these are the ones you may eat: 3 You may eat any animal that has a divided hoof and that chews the cud.

4 “‘There are some that only chew the cud or only have a divided hoof, but you must not eat them. The camel, though it chews the cud, does not have a divided hoof; it is ceremonially unclean for you. 5 The hyrax, though it chews the cud, does not have a divided hoof; it is unclean for you. 6 The rabbit, though it chews the cud, does not have a divided hoof; it is unclean for you. 7 And the pig, though it has a divided hoof, does not chew the cud; it is unclean for you. 8 You must not eat their meat or touch their carcasses; they are unclean for you.

God says in the Bible that the Camel is unclean. Did he change his mind and make the camel clean to muslims? Is it in fact possible that God would change his mind?
I agree that God(swt) would not change his mind. One reason why I noted in my post there are Ahadith that indicate Camel is forbidden to eat.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
There is some different opinions among scholars regarding if Camels are Halal or Haram regarding eating.

In the Qur'an it is regarded as clean and permitted to be eaten. In the Jewish Torah it is forbidden.

They meet all the criteria of being clean, they eat only plants, have cloven hooves and chew a cud.

However there are Ahadith that cause concern.

SOURCE
I did make an error when I posted that. The Qur'an does not state the Camel is permitted to eat. Nor does it state it is forbidden.

There are several ayyat's in the Qur'an relating to what may be eaten for example :

Quote:
"He only prohibits for you the eating of animals that die of themselves (without human interference), blood, the meat of pigs, and animals dedicated to other than God. If one is forced (to eat these), without being malicious or deliberate, he incurs no sin. God is Forgiver, Most Merciful." 2:173

"Today, all good food is made lawful for you. The food of the people of the Scripture (Jews & Christians) is lawful (halal) for you ......" 5:5

Some Scholars contend it is permissible, some state it is permissible only if necessary to prevent starvation, (ie getting lost in the desert and running out of food.) Also on how hoof is defined and if a Camel has 2 toes or are they padded hooves.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or