U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2016, 11:29 AM

3,228 posts, read 2,854,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by juju33312 View Post
Good grief. Pork is just fine. Stop listening to nonsense. Go to any major supermarket meat section and you will find it loaded with pork. If pork was making people sick, do you think that today's fascist government or today's lawyers would let this happen? Pork is sold like crazy. No one is getting sick!! No masses of lawsuits against companies supplying pork (unless it's the sue happy Muslims trying to make a quick buck while shoving shariah law down our throats in place of yummy bacon).

Pork, especially the leaner cuts, is healthy to eat! Muslims live in filthy conditions, so that could be a problem. I researched sanitation in Muslim countries....very bad.

Are you going to fall for every scam? Islam is a scam also.

Hey, do you think Muhammed was bad to rape a 9 year old child?
I never liked the taste of it, okay? Before I was a Muslim, I preferred not to eat it and I avoided it. No big deal. I am lactose intolerant and avoid eggs because I associate it with dairy. Would you call me out on that? Knowing you, you probably will.

Islam saved my life or at least helped it substantially. I used to be a mess and while I still have my bad days, I am still doing a lot better than where I was. Prayer has helped me find peace and it has taught me more about forgiveness. I'm moving forward with my life.

Also, a lot of people did marry young back in ancient times. It wasn't uncommon for a 13 year old to get married in Europe. Mostly because of finances, but people in Europe didn't live as long as we live now. I'm sure that was the same way in ancient Middle East. Not that I agree with the practices...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2016, 12:16 PM

1,601 posts, read 751,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
I know right? I'm dying of laughter over some of these conspiracy theories. What do these people read?

I'm a Muslim convert and was just told pork is unclean because of the way it's slaughtered. Not all of the blood comes out. Also, because of the diseases too.
done.

Old 03-06-2016, 12:19 PM

15,511 posts, read 13,284,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juju33312 View Post
You have your self stated you support the cruelity of pig slaughtering.

While the videos you just posted are "so called Halal slaughter" not one of them meets the standard for Halal. For one thing to be halal an animal can not be slaughtered within view of another animal.

I will agree that for profit there are evil people using improper methods and calling it Halal in order to reach the Muslim Market. Which is one reason I am essentially a vegetarian as I do not trust the halal label in the USA. My own findings is that which is labelled halal often is not.

It is extremely expensive to raise and slaughter an animal halal. To begin with an animal raised for slaughter
has to be treated with extreme kindness, fed only the best foods and treated as a very loved and appreciated animal. The slaughter has to take place away from all other animals, the animal must be completely relaxed and not experience any trauma.

Proper Halal has been shown to be virtually painless

Sunday, 6th March 2016
Summary report

Experiments for the objectification of pain and consciousness during conventional (captive bolt stunning) and religiously mandated (“ritual cutting”) slaughter procedures for sheep and calves.

From

Deutsche Tieraerztliche Wochenschrift (German veterinary weekly) volume 85 (1978), pages 62-66

translated by Dr Sahib M. Bleher, Dip Trans MIL

By W. Schulze, H. Schultze-Petzold, A.S. Hazem, and R. Gross

The Animal Welfare Act of 24 July 1972 (TierSchG) assumes the basic concept of an ethically orientated animal welfare legislation. It further stipulates that the standards for evaluating the obligation to protect animals should not so much be the result of human sensitivities and emotional, but to be increasingly replaced by exact and representative scientific knowledge of standards and requirements specific to animal species and correspondent to their behaviour (Ertl. 1972). The Act thus conforms to the changing attitude of man to the life circumstances and legitimate welfare entitlements of animals, a development which can also be noticed internationally.
The Halal Study

For the full report and findings click on the link

I also stopped eating pork long before I accepted Islam. I was actually raising pigs for slaughter at the time and after watching one of my pigs being slaughtered I swore off pork and began advocating to end the cruelty to pigs

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks

MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's

Old 03-09-2016, 05:21 PM

637 posts, read 645,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlinewebsearcher View Post
we all know that muslims HATE pigs and other animals of that species. but has anyone ever wondered why that is. it seems very irrational, its just a animal after all (granted not the prettiest )

just wondering if anyone knew the roots of this islamic hatred and fear of piggys

LOL

This is almost ten years old but it was a very funny question.

Old 03-09-2016, 05:36 PM

3,435 posts, read 1,258,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlinewebsearcher View Post
we all know that muslims HATE pigs and other animals of that species. but has anyone ever wondered why that is. it seems very irrational, its just a animal after all (granted not the prettiest )

just wondering if anyone knew the roots of this islamic hatred and fear of piggys
Abrahamic law forbids the eating of pork. Which seems strange at first, given just how very edible pigs are. But it was noticed in ancient times that pigs are scavengers and will root up dead things it eat them, including human bodies. So pigs were declared unclean.

Old 03-10-2016, 09:14 AM

637 posts, read 645,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
Abrahamic law forbids the eating of pork. Which seems strange at first, given just how very edible pigs are. But it was noticed in ancient times that pigs are scavengers and will root up dead things it eat them, including human bodies. So pigs were declared unclean.
Most of the prohibited food (in the Bible) are scavengers or are animals that are otherwise less clean than their Kosher counterparts.

A basic internet search will show that shellfish and other prohibited seafood are scavengers or bottom dwellers.

I don't understand the rationale for Islam excluding only pork but it may be argued that they (appropriately) excluded it because they could see that it was unclean while at the same time they did not exclude the other unclean animals because they were unaware that they were also scavengers/bottom dwellers. The Jews had the benefit of divine instruction and therefore were able to avoid all unclean foods.

Old 03-10-2016, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manhattangirl View Post
Most of the prohibited food (in the Bible) are scavengers or are animals that are otherwise less clean than their Kosher counterparts.

A basic internet search will show that shellfish and other prohibited seafood are scavengers or bottom dwellers.

I don't understand the rationale for Islam excluding only pork but it may be argued that they (appropriately) excluded it because they could see that it was unclean while at the same time they did not exclude the other unclean animals because they were unaware that they were also scavengers/bottom dwellers. The Jews had the benefit of divine instruction and therefore were able to avoid all unclean foods.
Halal and Kosher are virtually identical We both avoid the same meats. It is not just pork we are forbidden to eat like Jews we can only eat animals that have cloven Hoofves and chew a cud. Our dietary restrictions are virtually identical to that of the Jews. We do believe the Torah contains considerable truth and we are obligated to obey what is true in the torah, such as the dietary restrictions, circumcision, the commandments, etc.

We do differ slightly in regards to seafood. We do believe that shell fish are forbidden, meaning while not specifically forbidden eating them is discouraged and there are benefits and rewards for not eating them. A Muslim is permitted toeat most Kosher food as Kosher meats are Halal.

Old 03-11-2016, 06:59 PM

27,556 posts, read 17,647,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
I know right? I'm dying of laughter over some of these conspiracy theories. What do these people read?

I'm a Muslim convert and was just told pork is unclean because of the way it's slaughtered. Not all of the blood comes out. Also, because of the diseases too. I wasn't a big pork eater before Islam - I never liked the way it tasted. Bacon was okay, but unhealthy. I was avoiding pork way before I became Muslim.
Because of the way it's slaughtered? Islam-approved Halal slaughter is BARBARIC. The animal is restrained, it's throat is slit, and it bleeds to death over an extended period. Non-Halal slaughter houses strive to make the killing as quick and painless as possible, via a blow to the head (bolt), which is instant. Halal slaughter is torture, designed to prolong the animals suffering as long as possible. Video: Secret halal slaughterhouse film reveals 'horrific' animal abuse - Telegraph

Prolonging an animals suffering in the name of any religion is wrong and barbaric. And I'm well aware that it isn't JUST Islam.

Old 03-11-2016, 07:18 PM

4,688 posts, read 2,317,205 times
Clearly it has long been known that Muslims and others do not eat pork because it is considered 'unclean'. A pig will eat anything. An.Y.Thing.

Old 03-11-2016, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Because of the way it's slaughtered? Islam-approved Halal slaughter is BARBARIC. The animal is restrained, it's throat is slit, and it bleeds to death over an extended period. Non-Halal slaughter houses strive to make the killing as quick and painless as possible, via a blow to the head (bolt), which is instant. Halal slaughter is torture, designed to prolong the animals suffering as long as possible. Video: Secret halal slaughterhouse film reveals 'horrific' animal abuse - Telegraph

Prolonging an animals suffering in the name of any religion is wrong and barbaric. And I'm well aware that it isn't JUST Islam.
Halal slaughter and Kosher are done the same way. The only difference is Kosher Slaughter has to be done by a Rabbi. Halal slaughter can be done by any Muslim, Jew, Christian or Sabeean provided the only prayer they say is "In the name of God, the provider, the most merciful" (In any language) if they are Muslim they are say it in Arabic "Bismillalhi ir Rahman ir Raheem" The prayer a Rabbi sats while slaughtering is acceptable for it to be Halal. Any food prepared by a Jew is Halal unless it contains alcohol or insects. In which case it would not be halal even if prepared by a Muslim
Written script under the video is 100% correct.

Quote:
Workers were shown hacking and sawing at the animals' throats with apparently blunt knives. In one instance the procedure, which according to Islamic law should be instantaneous, took five attempts.
Halal rules also state that animals should never see the knife or witness others being killed, protecting them against unnecessary trauma.
But the footage showed a man wearing a Muslim kufi skullcap at Bowood Lamb abattoir in Thirsk regularly sharpening knives in front of the sheep. Due to the design of the slaughterhouse, in which animals were forced on to conveyor belts, the sheep typically saw another member of the flock having its throat cut, bleeding on the floor and being hoisted and shackled.
In a direct contravention of animal UK animal welfare law, 431 of the 500 sheep observed were "shunted off" the conveyor within 20 seconds of being cut.
Those sheep were not slaughtered in the halal manner and are not Halal. Actually forbidden for a Muslim to knowingly eat sheep slaughtered like the ones in the video.. One reason I do not buy Halal meat in any chain market grocery store.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or