Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 03:14 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,858,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by infiri View Post
this has been talked and talked before...
is a fake,,
Makes one wonder why religion has to lie so much to convince people that it's 'true'.

Old 05-25-2011, 03:16 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,562,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowitsshowtime View Post
I actually eat pork because some people tell me not too. I have a bad habbit of doing what I'm told not to do.
that works both ways, you know?

HANNAH AND HER SEVEN SONS, a story told in [SIZE=2]II *Maccabees, Chapter 7, of seven brothers who were seized along with their mother by *Antiochus IV Epiphanes, presumably shortly after the beginning of the religious persecutions in 167/166 B.C.E., and commanded to prove their obedience to the king by partaking of swine's flesh. [/SIZE]

Old 05-25-2011, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
We need only one reason not to eat Pork. That is because Allaah(swt) has forbidden us to do so. We need no other reason. If someday it is shown that pork is actually beneficial, it makes not difference, what Allaah(swt) has forbidden to us, is forbidden. Haram is haram and the haram can not be made halal.

Not all things haram are because there are health hazards or such. Something may be haram only as a sign of obedience. We need not know why something is haram after we are told it is.
I am Jewish and I agree with this message.

Shalom, salaam.

Old 05-25-2011, 03:31 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,815,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
I am Jewish and I agree with this message.

Shalom, salaam.
Ok, now if only we could get your two churches to stop blowing each other up...

I am totally OK with people who want to abstain from whatever type of food they want. In my corner of the world, that's how it goes with Mormons and coffee or alcohol. It's fine, and it's real purpose is not really related to health but as a cultural act that serves to identify themselves as "Jewish", "Muslim", "Mormon", Ect. It says: "I'm part of the club" to everyone else.

What I'm NOT OK with is when those people try to force their illogical abstination on others. Eating pork, non-Kosher meat, drinking coffee or alcohol in moderation will not cause any health problems. God will not strike anyone down for eating/drinking them; only other people will.

Old 05-25-2011, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Ok, now if only we could get your two churches to stop blowing each other up...
I wonder which will happen sooner, a peace deal in the Mideast, or ignorant people figuring out that Judaism and Islam aren't "churches"

Alternatively, will the peace deal come before some christian americans have figured out is a debate about land, sovereignty, nationalism, more than it is about religion? As pessimistic as I am about an imminent peace deal, I still think peace will come long before ignorance is eliminated.

Old 05-25-2011, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Eating pork, non-Kosher meat, drinking coffee or alcohol in moderation will not cause any health problems. God will not strike anyone down for eating/drinking them; only other people will.
coffee may be good for you, it turns out. eating red meat almost certainly isn't (may michael polland and wescot price forgive me the blasphemy) but that applies to beef and lamb as well, sadly.

OTOH Ive never seen a cow as cute as some pigs -cant we do this from an animal rights POV - OTOH theres those lambs again. OTOH I dont eat much lamb, and would willingly give it up for intellectual consistency

Old 05-25-2011, 03:45 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,815,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
I wonder which will happen sooner, a peace deal in the Mideast, or ignorant people figuring out that Judaism and Islam aren't "churches"

Alternatively, will the peace deal come before some christian americans have figured out is a debate about land, sovereignty, nationalism, more than it is about religion? As pessimistic as I am about an imminent peace deal, I still think peace will come long before ignorance is eliminated.
Ok, ok... your traditional theocratic ethnic cultures then?

Old 05-25-2011, 03:49 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,739,789 times
Quote:
Isn't it ironic, they can agree over a piece of meat but god forbid they agree over a piece of land

Old 05-25-2011, 04:01 PM

Quote:

the non theocrats and non traditionalists on both sides have been parties to the conflict as well.

Why not just say different ethnicities, different peoples, different nationalism?

Cause then we would be just as good as the french and germans, the poles and russians, the greeks and turks, the serbs and croats, the quebecois and the anglo canadians, or even, the americans and the british. Not some far off backward people to feel superior to?

Old 05-25-2011, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
Isn't it ironic, they can agree over a piece of meat but god forbid they agree over a piece of land

I live in annandale virginia. Within a three hour drive of my house more blood was shed over questions of independence and national sovereignty, than has been spilled between Jews and muslims over said issues. By like, Im not sure, a hundredfold? at least ten fold.

It will take time. Today Bibi Netanyahu and Mohammed Abbas are arguing over what lines to use as the basis for discussing the boundaries of a palestinian state.

If you grew up, as I did, in the 1960s and 1970s, and have been paying attention the whole time, you would consider this a miracle from God/hashem/allah

It doesnt look bright now. We are peoples of faith though. It wouldnt be right for us to give up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam