Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 05:25 PM

5 posts, read 5,361 times

Advertisements

Snippet:
[color=royalblue]Among the blessings and favors that God has bestowed upon humanity is that He endowed them with an innate ability to recognize and acknowledge His existence. He placed this awareness deep in their hearts as a natural disposition that has not changed since human beings were first created. Furthermore, He reinforced this natural disposition with the signs that he placed in Creation that testify to His existence. R]

link:
What is Islam? (part 1 of 4): The Core of Islam - The Religion of Islam

Last edited by june 7th; 05-27-2011 at 06:37 AM.. Reason: Edited to adhere to city-data's copyright requirements.

Old 05-26-2011, 05:45 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,700,727 times
Default What is Islam

A very dangerous religion that imposes its fanaticism on all and sundry. It is a real threat to the liberties and freedoms we enjoy as Westernised civilisations.

European countries like France and Sweden are opposing islam. The Western world needs to take a stand against this dangerous, insidious religion as well.

Old 05-26-2011, 06:00 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,470,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
Moderator cut: Orphaned
Moderator cut: Orphaned reference

Anyway one issue is that Islam is sometimes seen in a monolithic way in the West, which in some ways is a view Islam encourages, but is not really true. A Mouride of the Wolof people will almost certainly have views and attitudes quite different than a Salafi in Egypt or even then a member of the Indonesian social organization Muhammadiyah. And all those are presumably Sunni. The difference between a Shi'ite in Iran and a Sunni Tuareg in Africa are likely even larger.

Still there are some commonalities. Islam is a strictly monotheistic faith that believes in Muhammad as the main prophet. It emphasizes prayer, submission to the will of God, charity, and justice as it understands the term. It does not believe in original sin and usually rejects all forms of pacifism. It's attitude to violence varies from "only in self-defense" to "whenever a nation refuses to submit to Islamic rule."

Last edited by june 7th; 05-27-2011 at 06:39 AM..

Old 05-26-2011, 10:10 PM

15,501 posts, read 16,987,195 times
Although many if not most Jews and Christians will disagree. Islam is a religion of Peace.

It is a very easy religion to understand and follow. But humans often tend to make the easy complex.

the only things all Muslims need have in common are:

The 5 pillars of Faith and to follow the 6/7 fundamentals of belief. But, of great importance is an understanding that all things carry with them the gift and burden of Self choice coupled withfull personal responsibility for our choices.

One gigantic cause of mutual appearances of hatred and persecution comes from our similarities and sharing of the same origins. We all do share a common step brother also, the Sabians. However the Sabians have drifted so far from their original teachings they have become nearly extinct and are seldom noticed.

All of our Faiths can agree on one point at least one time the Jews did follow the true revelations from God(swt). The Christians and Sabians believed it was incomplete. The Jews felt the Christians and Sabians were heretics and tried to end the heresy by all means available. They pretty much ended the Sabians with the Execution of John the Baptist(PBUH) although a very small remnant of Sabians still exist, they have very little remaining resemblance to Judaism. resulting in little if any conflicts.

The Mutual persecution between Jew and Christian possibly was one reason both lost much of their original Beliefs.

Islam came for almost the same reason Christianity came. to give mankind a final chance to get back on the right path. However since it is so similar to Judeo/Christianity it is seen by them as being heretical.

Christianity and Islam are at the same point Christianity and Judaism was at. Except we see the Christians in the same way the Christians once saw the Jews and the the Christians see us in the same way the Jews once saw Christians.

In many ways you can say Islam is, what Christianity once was.

Old 05-27-2011, 05:23 AM

4,082 posts, read 5,025,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Although many if not most Jews and Christians will disagree. Islam is a religion of Peace.

It is a very easy religion to understand and follow. But humans often tend to make the easy complex.

the only things all Muslims need have in common are:

The 5 pillars of Faith and to follow the 6/7 fundamentals of belief. But, of great importance is an understanding that all things carry with them the gift and burden of Self choice coupled withfull personal responsibility for our choices.

One gigantic cause of mutual appearances of hatred and persecution comes from our similarities and sharing of the same origins. We all do share a common step brother also, the Sabians. However the Sabians have drifted so far from their original teachings they have become nearly extinct and are seldom noticed.

All of our Faiths can agree on one point at least one time the Jews did follow the true revelations from God(swt). The Christians and Sabians believed it was incomplete. The Jews felt the Christians and Sabians were heretics and tried to end the heresy by all means available. They pretty much ended the Sabians with the Execution of John the Baptist(PBUH) although a very small remnant of Sabians still exist, they have very little remaining resemblance to Judaism. resulting in little if any conflicts.

The Mutual persecution between Jew and Christian possibly was one reason both lost much of their original Beliefs.

Islam came for almost the same reason Christianity came. to give mankind a final chance to get back on the right path. However since it is so similar to Judeo/Christianity it is seen by them as being heretical.

Christianity and Islam are at the same point Christianity and Judaism was at. Except we see the Christians in the same way the Christians once saw the Jews and the the Christians see us in the same way the Jews once saw Christians.

In many ways you can say Islam is, what Christianity once was.
This is why I dislike Islam and Christianity.... You both think you have it right and others are wrong....

My religion does not need correcting and Judaism has changed over the millenium due to the loss of the temple and to the horrific persecutions from Christians.

Jews did not persecute Christians the Romans did.

Jews have always just wanted to be left alone to be Jewish without fear..

Even Muslims expected us to convert to Islam and when we didn't Muhammed got the revelation about killing Jews where ever you find them and comparing us to monkeys and pigs.

Christianity and Islam have historically NOT been religions of peace.

From where I stand to say otherwise is not to really know history.

But you are correct Christianity once was a religion of violence and Islam is that way now..... Unfortunately the thought of waiting 500 years for it to finally grow up does not sit well with me since as a Jew I see the anti-semitism that comes from Islam...

Old 05-27-2011, 06:46 AM

7,991 posts, read 12,226,862 times
Just a reminder that if you chose to post in a Muslim thread, you cannot ridicule, joke, or otherwise bash and disrespect that religious belief. June just deleted a vast number of posts of this nature, which will be infracted in the future should they continue. Everyone is able to decide whether or not they wish to contribute to a thread, but one cannot violate the Terms of Service in doing so simply because one does not like or disagrees with said religion.

~June

Old 05-27-2011, 07:19 AM

632 posts, read 1,176,217 times
To the poster of this thread, I hate calling you out like this but, if you're going to post a thread then at least put some more thought into besides sticking a picture and a link to it. BTW, we don't need a million or so threads about "What is Islam?", etc etc

Old 05-27-2011, 07:46 AM

15,501 posts, read 16,987,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
This is why I dislike Islam and Christianity.... You both think you have it right and others are wrong....

My religion does not need correcting and Judaism has changed over the millenium due to the loss of the temple and to the horrific persecutions from Christians.

Jews did not persecute Christians the Romans did.

Jews have always just wanted to be left alone to be Jewish without fear..

Even Muslims expected us to convert to Islam and when we didn't Muhammed got the revelation about killing Jews where ever you find them and comparing us to monkeys and pigs.

Christianity and Islam have historically NOT been religions of peace.

From where I stand to say otherwise is not to really know history.

But you are correct Christianity once was a religion of violence and Islam is that way now..... Unfortunately the thought of waiting 500 years for it to finally grow up does not sit well with me since as a Jew I see the anti-semitism that comes from Islam...

Looking at things from your position, Your view is very understandable. For a chance of peaceful coexistence each of us needs to step back and for a moment and try to understand what the other sees.

One reason I see of so much animosity between Jew and Muslim is because we are cousins and both from the same Semitic roots of Abraham(PBUH). Disagreements among similar people are very strong and when they are from within the same family they seem to be almost insurmountable.

Today's animosity seems to be based over Palestine. We are like a group of heirs to the family home fighting over which kids are going to get the family farm. You see us as keeping you out of the family land we see you as stealing our homes.

Historically we have often lived side by side in peace. Up until 1947 Palestinians were about 30% Jewish. Many if not Most of the Palestinian Jews are now in Morocco, Iran and some of the other Islamic Nations.

In my view I see Zionism as a common threat to both of us and the cause of much of our inner family animosities. Just my opinion, which most probably will differ from yours.

Peace between us is possible, but it will be a difficult path to find. I feel the search for the path is worth the effort.

Old 05-27-2011, 12:13 PM

591 posts, read 639,064 times
I am convinced Islam is a result of Muhammad's hatred for all things religion, and his wish to control all people from ever worshipping anyone but him.

Old 05-27-2011, 12:31 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,097,381 times
He hated religion, so he started one. That makes sense. Also, Muhammad didn't want people to worship him. He wanted them to worship Allah. I don't mean to defend Islam or any other religion, but you are just flat wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam