U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-01-2011, 10:43 AM
 
Location: Richardson, TX
8,701 posts, read 11,850,645 times
Reputation: 3727

Advertisements

Here is the Muslim's answer to the Clergy Letter Project.

American Muslim clerics sign up for evolution - science-in-society - 27 May 2011 - New Scientist
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-01-2011, 11:08 AM
 
Location: Golden, CO
2,108 posts, read 2,500,994 times
Reputation: 1019
Hey, I am all for more people believing in evolution and more people telling others that it is ok for them to believe in evolution. So, Hooray!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2011, 12:09 PM
 
Location: Logan Township, Minnesota
15,511 posts, read 13,305,624 times
Reputation: 7407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueffenhardt View Post
Hey, I am all for more people believing in evolution and more people telling others that it is ok for them to believe in evolution. So, Hooray!
You may want to read a little about the early Muslim biologist Al-Jahith

LINK

Islam does not oppose the teaching of evolution. It is accepted as fact by many Muslims. The only exception being the origin of man. We do not believe man evolved from a lower life form, but everything else did.

Although some Muslims do confuse evolution with creation and that is where any dispute comes into play.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2011, 12:42 PM
 
Location: around the way
656 posts, read 933,441 times
Reputation: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
You may want to read a little about the early Muslim biologist Al-Jahith

LINK

Islam does not oppose the teaching of evolution. It is accepted as fact by many Muslims. The only exception being the origin of man. We do not believe man evolved from a lower life form, but everything else did.

Although some Muslims do confuse evolution with creation and that is where any dispute comes into play.

Question: I grew up Christian but also believing in evolution. I never saw a conflict between the two, as I understood the Biblical creation story as a metaphor for mankind's growing in wisdom and understanding and the problems that go along with it, rather than as a literal account of God getting angry at people for stealing his apples on the advice of a snake.

So to what degree would you say this kind of understanding of the Qu'ran as metaphorical rather than literal exists in the Muslim world? Is it more of a Shia or Sunni thing, or maybe more prevalent among Western Muslims, or does it even exist at all?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2011, 01:09 PM
 
Location: Logan Township, Minnesota
15,511 posts, read 13,305,624 times
Reputation: 7407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stavemaster View Post
Question: I grew up Christian but also believing in evolution. I never saw a conflict between the two, as I understood the Biblical creation story as a metaphor for mankind's growing in wisdom and understanding and the problems that go along with it, rather than as a literal account of God getting angry at people for stealing his apples on the advice of a snake.

So to what degree would you say this kind of understanding of the Qu'ran as metaphorical rather than literal exists in the Muslim world? Is it more of a Shia or Sunni thing, or maybe more prevalent among Western Muslims, or does it even exist at all?
The Qur'an is taken as being literal in most matters. It is considered to be literal that man was made from clay, in human form. However, most scholars that I speak with seem to believe that if someone disagrees, it would not be a sin.

There is no conflict in the Quran regarding the Evolution of all life forms except humans. Provided the evolution is not presented as being the creation of life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2011, 01:10 PM
 
Location: Richardson, TX
8,701 posts, read 11,850,645 times
Reputation: 3727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stavemaster View Post
Question: I grew up Christian but also believing in evolution. I never saw a conflict between the two, as I understood the Biblical creation story as a metaphor for mankind's growing in wisdom and understanding and the problems that go along with it, rather than as a literal account of God getting angry at people for stealing his apples on the advice of a snake.

So to what degree would you say this kind of understanding of the Qu'ran as metaphorical rather than literal exists in the Muslim world? Is it more of a Shia or Sunni thing, or maybe more prevalent among Western Muslims, or does it even exist at all?
It must exist to a cosiderable degree if it was felt that it was even necessary to conduct this project. If evolution was a problem among a negligible sector of the Muslim population, would the project have been proposed, at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2011, 03:02 PM
 
Location: Victoria, BC.
30,897 posts, read 31,799,432 times
Reputation: 12640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
The Qur'an is taken as being literal in most matters. It is considered to be literal that man was made from clay, in human form. However, most scholars that I speak with seem to believe that if someone disagrees, it would not be a sin.

There is no conflict in the Quran regarding the Evolution of all life forms except humans. Provided the evolution is not presented as being the creation of life.
That is a hell of a big exception don't you think? You have once again proven to me how backwards religion is...Clay indeed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2011, 03:10 PM
 
Location: Richardson, TX
8,701 posts, read 11,850,645 times
Reputation: 3727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Provided the evolution is not presented as being the creation of life.
The only ones that present evolution as the creation of life are creationists. (that's got to be worth some reps LOL)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2011, 10:04 PM
 
Location: Golden, CO
2,108 posts, read 2,500,994 times
Reputation: 1019
Leaving humans out of evolution misses the boat. From Michael Shermer, "The preponderance of evidence from numerous converging lines of scientific inquiry — geology, paleontology, zoology, botany, comparative anatomy, molecular biology, population genetics, biogeography, embryology, and others — all independently converge to the same conclusion: evolution happened". And that we humans are part of it. The DNA in every cell of your body shares genes with nearly every other organism on earth. Human and Chimpanzee DNA is 96% the same. We are cousins, man. It is clear to anyone who is familiar with all the evidence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2011, 11:13 PM
 
Location: Logan Township, Minnesota
15,511 posts, read 13,305,624 times
Reputation: 7407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueffenhardt View Post
Leaving humans out of evolution misses the boat. From Michael Shermer, "The preponderance of evidence from numerous converging lines of scientific inquiry geology, paleontology, zoology, botany, comparative anatomy, molecular biology, population genetics, biogeography, embryology, and others all independently converge to the same conclusion: evolution happened". And that we humans are part of it. The DNA in every cell of your body shares genes with nearly every other organism on earth. Human and Chimpanzee DNA is 96% the same. We are cousins, man. It is clear to anyone who is familiar with all the evidence.
Actually we share a larger percentage of DNA with Bonobos. One time thought to be a sub species of Chimpanzee.

While DNA is strong evidence of man and apes having nearly identical building materials does not prove they came from the same ancestors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top