U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 06:00 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,177,335 times

Advertisements

I am a philosopher, and a Muslim convert. It was philosophical reflection that brought me out of Christiantiy, and it was philosophical reflection that brought me to Islam.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2011, 06:06 PM

30,875 posts, read 31,754,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Yep right up there with the Okapi, platypus, Extra-terrestrial life, and Television.

But thanks for reminding me I need to clean the broom closet because my Mother-in-Law is flying in from Chicago tonight.

What to a believer is true,is often false to a disbeliver. What is true to a disbeliever is often false to a believer.

No, what is true to a believer is often still false...Believing never makes anything true. Not when you have to chuck reason and logic out the window in order to believe.

It is the same with disbelieving...It has no bearing on what is real or fact.

The Okapi and platypus are real creatures...They exist, unlike many of the fantasy creatures made up by the ancient camel jockeys. As for Extra-terrestrial life it is possibly even likely, but so far unknown....I have no idea why you mention television...Do you not believe TVs exist?

Old 06-06-2011, 06:26 PM

147 posts, read 133,310 times
SANSPEUR Moon Split (Moon Cracked) Miracle of Prophet Muhammad I WAS BUSY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrJ9D...yer_detailpage insha ALLAH MEANS [ IF ALLAH MAKE ME LIFE UNTIL TOMORROW I WILL ANSWER the other questions and ALL YOUR QUESTIONS] ]

Old 06-06-2011, 06:27 PM

15,511 posts, read 13,276,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
No, what is true to a believer is often still false...Believing never makes anything true. Not when you have to chuck reason and logic out the window in order to believe.

It is the same with disbelieving...It has no bearing on what is real or fact.

The Okapi and platypus are real creatures...They exist, unlike many of the fantasy creatures made up by the ancient camel jockeys. As for Extra-terrestrial life it is possibly even likely, but so far unknown....I have no idea why you mention television...Do you not believe TVs exist?
I'm old enough to remember when the opinion was that color TV was impossible and not long before my birth the concept of TV was considered to be an impossibility.

Yes the Okapi and Platypus are real, but it was not that long ago they along with the Mountain Gorilla, and Giraffe were believed to be mythological. OK pre Roman era for the Giraffe.

While we may never make 2 way communication with extra Terrestrials or physical contact, we most likely one day receive long ago radio signals. On a similar note since Jinn are inhabitants of earth, I believe one day proof of them will be found. I seen all the silly photos alleged to be Jinn and will agree that every thing presented so far has been fraudulant. The most famous one of the Jinn in a cave was actually done as a practical joke, that a few people actually believed.

Old 06-06-2011, 06:30 PM

30,875 posts, read 31,754,043 times
Well, let me know when a real live jinn is discovered...Until then they are mythical.

Old 06-06-2011, 06:36 PM

15,511 posts, read 13,276,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Well, let me know when a real live jinn is discovered...Until then they are mythical.
As soon as I can catch you I plan to put you on exhibit. You still haven't convinced my you're not a jinn.

Here I am typing away on a lighted box and communicating with a creature I can not see.

Senile dementia has finally caught up with me.

Old 06-06-2011, 07:14 PM

13,856 posts, read 22,958,982 times
Quote:
The Christians do not believe same as us about Jinn.
Correct. Christians, so far as I know, just don't believe in Jinn at all.

Quote:
What we believe to be Jinn, the Chirtians believe to be fallen angels. We say they can not be angels as the angels have no free will and therefore can not sin or fall. The Christians differ and say Satan was a fallen angel. We say he was a Jinn.
Interesting.

Quote:
but we both agree a creature refused to bow before man and led Adam and Eve into sin. We do differ as to what the creature was.
Actually the "bow before man" thing is specifically Islamic. That's not in our Bible or tradition so far as I know. I believe the snake or devil is seen as leading Adam and Eve into sin because it's "an adversary" or "enemy."

Now possibly you could argue it's not even the devil at all and that the story originally intended the snake to just be a snake or a Jinn snake or something. That snakes could talk then as in many societies it was believed animals could talk in the "Golden Age." In that case it might be that the snake was jealous of man's dominion in a way analogous to the bowing incident of Islam. I'm not sure I know of any Christian who interprets it that way though.

Old 06-06-2011, 07:19 PM

563 posts, read 800,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nietzschean Gangsta View Post
I am a philosopher, and a Muslim convert. It was philosophical reflection that brought me out of Christiantiy, and it was philosophical reflection that brought me to Islam.
Now that's cool.

Old 06-06-2011, 08:52 PM

335 posts, read 323,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nietzschean Gangsta View Post
And after further time, maturation, experience, and philosophical reflection you will probably go to something else.

Old 06-06-2011, 08:57 PM

5,421 posts, read 7,888,144 times
Prosetylizing is doing nothing to help any religion's cause. If people don't ask, don't push it on them or insist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or