U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is a Muslim?
A terrorist 2 11.11%
The anti-Christ 1 5.56%
a Hater of Christians and Jews 4 22.22%
A savage desert living barbarian 0 0%
A fanatic 0 0%
A misguided fool 3 16.67%
A moon worshiper 1 5.56%
A born liar 1 5.56%
The Sworn enemy of Israel 0 0%
Other, please state in a post 6 33.33%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 08:59 AM

30,874 posts, read 31,747,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
We were discussing honor killings by Muslims and I said it was common among some Catholics, you said prove it. I posted links and you agreed it was not religion. But, immediately before you were saying it was Islamic
You may have been discussing honor killings with someone, but it wasn't me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2011, 09:16 AM

15,511 posts, read 13,272,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
You may have been discussing honor killings with someone, but it wasn't me.
I just went back to find the particular post. You are correct. It was post #21 and the discussion was with Jazzymom. My memory must be reflecting my age.

I apologize for my misunderstanding.

Old 06-13-2011, 01:43 PM

563 posts, read 800,082 times
A Muslim is simply one who submits to God.

Old 06-13-2011, 01:46 PM

563 posts, read 800,082 times
Quote:
Sadly every religion has it's share of people who commit atrocities and believe they are acting in accordance with their religion. Gay bashing and killing occurs here in the USA more often than executions occur in Iran. That does not mean I should believe it is something all Christians do.

Apostasy of Catholicism still results in honor killings in parts of Italy, Spain, Mexico and other predominately Catholic nations. But I doubt if that is the "official" teachings of Catholicism. We all have our lunatic element.

I believe Believe my sister was saying that the reason Jews and Christians do not kill people for Apostasy and Homosexuality is because they do not follow their Holy Scriptures. The Scriptures of both are quite violent.

We can spend a very long time playing the "Your religion is more violent than mine." game and accomplish nothing except become very good at using google.

The fact is we all have violent people in our faiths. some even believe they are obeying God(swt). Terrorism is a religion in itself, all terrorists follow the same religion no matter what they call themselves.

The issue today and for tomorrow is "What group has access to the most destructive weapons?" The answer to that will most likely identify who will be the next Terror Religion and what weapons they will use.

So far nobody would seriously consider a first strike with Nukes. However, the cost of them is so high that at some point somebody will use one just to justify the need for having them. That may be the next major act of terrorism. The only question is who will be the culprit.
That was thoughtful, Woodrow LI. Good answer.

Old 06-13-2011, 03:13 PM

9,412 posts, read 11,723,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPaul View Post
I know a few of Muslim faith. Great people, and I think no differently of them as anyone else. Nor do they harbor ill feelings towards my beliefs.

**A savage desert living barbarian** That is harsh, along with some of the others.

There are bad apples in any faith or non-faith, and in any region of the world. To chastise all for the acts of a few, is immature at best.
Most bad apples in their chosen religion don't hijack planes and fly them into buildings, nor wage holy wars against free Western countries.

When islam can behave itself nicely in public, then people may stop viewing it as a violent, evil, backwards religion.

Old 06-13-2011, 03:55 PM

15,511 posts, read 13,272,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
Most bad apples in their chosen religion don't hijack planes and fly them into buildings, nor wage holy wars against free Western countries.

When islam can behave itself nicely in public, then people may stop viewing it as a violent, evil, backwards religion.
What about the 2 guys in Texas, one flew his plane into the IRS building in Austin and the disgruntled Baptist preacher that flew a rental plane into the "Our Lady of Guadalupe" Shrine in Mission Texas? Of course in those instances the planes were much smaller and did not do much more damage than kill the pilots, but the idea was the same.

Nut jobs and terrorists do not follow any religion. they follow only their own twisted minds.

The press was quick to assume that since the 9/11 pilots were Arab they must be Muslim. There has never been any verification of this. the leader Atta had some very unislamic habits.

Us Muslims are forbidden to drink alcohol. No practicing Muslim would ever drink.

Old 06-13-2011, 04:06 PM

Quote:
What about the 2 guys in Texas, one flew his plane into the IRS building in Austin and the disgruntled Baptist preacher that flew a rental plane into the "Our Lady of Guadalupe" Shrine in Mission Texas? Of course in those instances the planes were much smaller and did not do much more damage than kill the pilots, but the idea was the same.

Nut jobs and terrorists do not follow any religion. they follow only their own twisted minds.

The press was quick to assume that since the 9/11 pilots were Arab they must be Muslim. There has never been any verification of this. the leader Atta had some very unislamic habits.

Us Muslims are forbidden to drink alcohol. No practicing Muslim would ever drink.
Uh huh, like they aren't supposed to be looking at dirty girlie mags, yet they found these in Osama's compound

Old 06-13-2011, 04:13 PM

Oh come on Woodrow, the 9/11 hijackers were definitely Muslims and it was all about Jihad. You continue to lamely try and use the "others do it too" argument as if that somehow makes the atrocities committed by Muslims ok...How do two nuts in separate incidents flying light planes into buildings and killing themselves compare to the planned 9/11 attacks?

What on earth does drinking alcohol have do do with anything ?

Quote:
For all of them, radical Islam and jihad soon became obsessions, eclipsing everything else. Studies were abandoned, families ignored, the outer world denied as they plunged themselves into their fanatical version of faith. As a German investigator put it: "They are not talking about daily life stuff, such as buying cars -- they buy cars, but they don't talk about it, they talk about religion most of the time . . . these people are just living for their religion, meaning for them that they just live now for their life after death, the paradise. They want to live obeying their God, so they can enter paradise. Everything else doesn't matter." Talking one week of Kosovo, the next of Chechnya or Afghanistan, the "men were agreed: they wanted to fight -- they just didn't know which war."

It was, of course, Osama bin Laden who gave them their war.
Jonathan Yardley - The 9/11 Hijackers - washingtonpost.com

Old 06-13-2011, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
Uh huh, like they aren't supposed to be looking at dirty girlie mags, yet they found these in Osama's compound
Osama's girlie magazines were dirty? I take good care of mine and keep them spotlessly clean.

Old 06-13-2011, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Oh come on Woodrow, the 9/11 hijackers were definitely Muslims and it was all about Jihad. You continue to lamely try and use the "others do it too" argument as if that somehow makes the atrocities committed by Muslims ok...How do two nuts in separate incidents flying light planes into buildings and killing themselves compare to the planned 9/11 attacks?
Not just the 911 attacks but the multitude of terrorist acts throughout Europe, Africa and Asia in the past 10 years or so. All of these were muslim acts of jihad against the West.

To deny these facts is sheer stupidity.

You cannot claim your religion is a peaceful one when it is clear from the evidence it is not. There may be law abiding, peaceful muslims but the koran is pretty clear about hating non muslims and subjugating them under islam rule.

Obviously Woodrow doesn't know his own religion very well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam