U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 01:30 PM

11,798 posts, read 21,969,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
All to often the muslim posters here cannot converse in English in real time as it seems they need to go back, get queues from some literate "leader" that can possibly articulate better than they can or work through a translator.
Did you mean "cues" or "quotes"?

Sorry, SeekerSA. I agree with you! I have an excruciating time attempting to understand what most of the Muslim posters are trying to say (I usually give up before the headache it gives me becomes debilitating). I don't expect their English to be good, but they shouldn't claim that it is. To be fair, there are a couple of exceptions.

And finally, it doesn't really matter how well it is expressed, does it?

Old 06-22-2011, 01:44 PM

4,083 posts, read 4,424,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weaam View Post
yes, these were generations of the forties and fifties,In other words, all of the olders,but these generations(today) are the hope of the Muslim Ummah, all of them are Educated and cultured and knew more than one language

that's it

There are still many disparities between men and women and literacy in the Islamic world.

Woman lag behind men.

There are large differences from country to country in literacy.

Girls in Afghanistan run the risk of having acid thrown at them if they go to school or the school burned down or teachers killed.

There are countries that educate their populations and are literate then there are countries that don't

I would hardly call the madrasas in Pakistan a place to become literate.

Old 06-22-2011, 01:53 PM

30,874 posts, read 31,750,270 times
How dare women have the audacity to get educated?

Violence, dismal health care and brutal poverty make Afghanistan the world’s most dangerous country for women, with Congo a close second due to horrific levels of rape, a Thomson Reuters Foundation expert poll said on Wednesday. Afghanistan most dangerous country for women - The Globe and Mail

Old 06-22-2011, 02:02 PM

5,563 posts, read 6,317,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
Did you mean "cues" or "quotes"?

Sorry, SeekerSA. I agree with you! I have an excruciating time attempting to understand what most of the Muslim posters are trying to say (I usually give up before the headache it gives me becomes debilitating). I don't expect their English to be good, but they shouldn't claim that it is. To be fair, there are a couple of exceptions.

And finally, it doesn't really matter how well it is expressed, does it?
Yup, should have been cues my bad.

And no it really doesn't matter, being polite is hard and usually I do not hold grammar against anyone but the rebuttal deserved the illustration of what we deem literacy in English. A little more than See Spot, See Spot run, Spot is my dog.

Old 06-22-2011, 02:11 PM

616 posts, read 591,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
Let us look at the correct syntax and grammar of your statement.
Yes, these were from generations of the forties and fifties, In other words, all of the older folks, but today's generations are the hope of the Muslim Ummah, all of them are Educated in their culture and know more than one language. (still bad grammar)
I guess that is what you are trying to say which anyway proves the point of illiteracy. Having knowledge of a language and being fluent in it are two vastly different aspects of literacy.

You are trying to "educate" westernized folk in a language you cannot even articulate properly about your religion and when challenged, you simply revert to the old excuse "well it all makes sense in Arabic."

If this is a proviso for learning about islam, then simply go onto an Arabic forum and sell your wares there.

If anyone here was remotely interested in the islamic culture and its nuances, we certainly would not be asking or conversing with you. All to often the muslim posters here cannot converse in English in real time as it seems they need to go back, get queues from some literate "leader" that can possibly articulate better than they can or work through a translator. One need only look at the delays between responses to see this is the case.

This would be akin to allowing someone here with a gr 5 English ability to dialogue with someone with a post high school graduation. It just does not work.

This is why we are inundated with walls of YouTube videos and really no one watches them. Even the odd times I did, they were no more convincing than your inept command of the English language in text.

When my kids were small they too had the ability to copy and paste on the Computer. No real oratory skills required.

who was that my english is Very good or fluency? it's not fault, I still learning it, at the same time I know what do you say, and all here, you know what I say too

I can talk to you, but you can not speak Arabic or any arabic letter

you said our English language was a bad,Yes, this is what it felt him\her the speaker in the original language, you just can hear to Western presidents and Educated of you when they speak or write Arabic their Arabic language is bad and broken so we can not understand it well

I do not need to copy and paste, such as your kids when they were small

anyway this face Saves time

Old 06-22-2011, 02:17 PM

5,563 posts, read 6,317,361 times
That is why I do not participate on foreign boards in languages I cannot speak fluently. Why would anyone want to learn Arabic anyway, it is not like you folk have anything substantial to offer the world like new scientific discoveries or anything. The west is only interested in the oil and that we can purchase in English and Dollars.

The English speaking countries are the ones who have made the leaps and bounds, it is the international language of business.

Old 06-22-2011, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
There are still many disparities between men and women and literacy in the Islamic world.

Woman lag behind men.

There are large differences from country to country in literacy.

Girls in Afghanistan run the risk of having acid thrown at them if they go to school or the school burned down or teachers killed.

There are countries that educate their populations and are literate then there are countries that don't

I would hardly call the madrasas in Pakistan a place to become literate.

Countries such as Pakistan and Afghanistan(Who destroyed your country) and Somalia are Poor countries and their circumstances are very difficult so spread in the poverty and ignorance, Illiteracy Furthermore wars

so, Hungry is the food the most important than education and culture People there do not have enough money for education

By the way when we talk about Afghanistan it should on every American feel ashamed that he\she is American

Old 06-22-2011, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
How dare women have the audacity to get educated?

Violence, dismal health care and brutal poverty make Afghanistan the world’s most dangerous country for women, with Congo a close second due to horrific levels of rape, a Thomson Reuters Foundation expert poll said on Wednesday. Afghanistan most dangerous country for women - The Globe and Mail

The same words that I said to Jazzymom

Old 06-22-2011, 02:28 PM

4,083 posts, read 4,424,051 times
Quote:
The same words that I said to Jazzymom
Here is what she said to me...

Countries such as Pakistan and Afghanistan(Who destroyed your country) and Somalia are Poor countries and their circumstances are very difficult so spread in the poverty and ignorance, Illiteracy Furthermore wars

so, Hungry is the food the most important than education and culture People there do not have enough money for education

By the way when we talk about Afghanistan it should on every American feel ashamed that he\she is American

Old 06-22-2011, 02:30 PM

30,874 posts, read 31,750,270 times
Quote:

Yes, you think America should have stayed out of Afghanistan and let Muslims there continue to suppress and beat women.....Why aren't Muslims ashamed of the way women are treated? You have a lot more to be ashamed of than Americans I'd say. Maybe we should just ignore the Muslim atrocities and just let Muslims kill each other off in those places...Killing each other seems to be a big part of Islam. Just look at what is happening in Iraq.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or