U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 07:01 PM

15,511 posts, read 13,276,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
I find it interesting that all the different religions and beliefs have their sacred places in which to pray, so different yet so much alike are we. I wonder why we cannot all learn to understand and respect one another as human beings.
For you my friend. Bear Butte, South Dakotah. I used to drive by it once a week until last year. Fantastic place. It is a rare person that does not feel something when they pass by it. Although it does have a tourist path on it, I would never step foot on it as I know it is sacred to the Lakotah and I feel it should be theirs alone.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2011, 10:10 AM

10,513 posts, read 10,328,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
For you my friend. Bear Butte, South Dakotah. I used to drive by it once a week until last year. Fantastic place. It is a rare person that does not feel something when they pass by it. Although it does have a tourist path on it, I would never step foot on it as I know it is sacred to the Lakotah and I feel it should be theirs alone.

Sacred places such as these do seem to have a unique power and I can see why the Lakotah consider it a sacred place, it gets them closer to the Creator and I'm glad to see that you respect the sacredness of such a place. I live in the foothills of the Appalachian Mts. These mountains are the ancestral home of my people and I feel closer to my Creator living in these mountains, I have even set aside a special place for a sacred circle, a place where I go and pray to my Creator and hold special ceremonies during the year.wa-do

Old 06-24-2011, 10:20 AM

563 posts, read 800,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quranreading View Post
The entire world is the creation of Allah, however, some places are considered more sacred and divine than others. For instance, prayers offered at Mecca and Madina carry more value and significance than those offered at an ordinary place. This is because some places are more close and sacred because of their origins or their history.
I can agree that some places are more sacred than others, but that doesn't make the prayers more valuable simply because they are said there. Can you explain why Allah would put more significance on the place a prayer comes from instead the prayer itself? Or the needs of the person making the prayer?

Old 06-25-2011, 05:22 PM

15,511 posts, read 13,276,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderingWanderer View Post
I can agree that some places are more sacred than others, but that doesn't make the prayers more valuable simply because they are said there. Can you explain why Allah would put more significance on the place a prayer comes from instead the prayer itself? Or the needs of the person making the prayer?
For the simple reason that the person has put forth an effort to be as close to Allaah(swt) as possible.

In a sort of an analogy, while you can hear a loved one over the telephone, would you not hug the person if they came to see you?

Old 06-25-2011, 05:34 PM

10,513 posts, read 10,328,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderingWanderer View Post

You are correct, it doesn't make the prayers any more valuable. If you have a special place that you go to for a cup of coffee and you like the particular coffee that you get there and the place feels comfortable to you, would you not be more inclined to go there than say the place a block down that sells the same coffee, it's not that it makes the prayer more valuable it's just that it's more comfortable.

Old 06-26-2011, 08:33 PM

563 posts, read 800,347 times
I think we humans make places sacred, and when we go there, our spirits are in better tune with God. It matters to us, but to the OP's point of "more value and significance", that we cannot say. Where can we go that God isn't already there? We cannot go to a certain place and be physically closer. We can go to a certain place and be spiritually closer - because our focus is better. But God didn't move, we did. I fail to understand how my prayer from Mecca is more valuable than someone in a hospital fighting cancer and begging to live. Or a hungry child in Africa. Or a soldier dying on the battlefield and praying his family will be looked after.
I don't want to stand in any sacred place and have my prayers supercede anything of that nature, simply because of the location I am at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or