U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 06:58 AM

255 posts, read 551,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
What is RE? It says the children were learning about Islam in RE. I would have to know more.

I believe RE=Religious Education.

In a way it makes sense. The kids were studying Islam in RE, so for handwriting practice the teacher assigns something that ties into Islam.

I don't see that it was that awful. I don't agree that writing out a prayer for handwriting practice is like "taking an oath"--I think it's a good way for the kids to learn a standard Islamic prayer. If a class of non-Christians were learning about Christianity, it wouldn't be odd for them to learn the Lord's Prayer.

For me, writing a prayer and praying a prayer are very different things.

Last edited by Hoosier; 08-10-2007 at 05:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2007, 07:23 AM

3,434 posts, read 8,942,245 times
if you dont believe what your writing, what does it matter? I loved the Greek tradegies in HS, the illiad and the odessey and had to write a few papers on them, of course they involve gods, goddess' etc. That being said, I can see where Christians might find that offensive, we believe our God is a jealous God and we wouldnt even think about writing about a diff god, much less thats hes(their god) the only one.

Old 08-08-2007, 07:37 AM

7,099 posts, read 24,491,677 times
It seems to me that instead of becoming upset about this, it would be a good time to explain that Allah is their word for God. Perhaps even look at the prayer and discuss differences in the way Allah or God is spoken to.

If they had written a prayer in Latin, they would have written it to DEO? How many different ways is God said in different Languages?

But, I agree, it seems that if they are old enough to study this type of subject, that they could copy something from the text book for writing practice.

Old 08-08-2007, 08:35 AM

8,834 posts, read 17,327,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
What is RE? It says the children were learning about Islam in RE. I would have to know more.

Dawn
This school is in a city called Wakefield in Northern England. Not in the U.S.. I think it's a big deal about nothing really. The teacher wasn't asking them to become Muslim.

You'd be surprised at all the Muslim controversy in the U.K. lately. We just saw a relative of my wife this past weekend visiting from Oxford, and he said there is a lot of turmoil right now because UK schools have switched all poultry and meat to halal, so as not to offend the growing (exploding) Muslim population.

halal chicken u.k. schools - Google Search

He said there is a growing anti-Muslim sentiment there and in a lot of Europe.

Old 08-08-2007, 11:04 AM

3,927 posts, read 7,886,844 times
I can see where the offense comes in in the wording of the prayer itself. There is no God but allah? Excuse me, that is teaching these children that our God is inferior to allah, which goes against the very teachings of Christianity. This passage actually is saying that we are basically denying that God is who He is, and belittling what Jesus did for us on the cross. God is our creator and He is a jealous God. We are not to have any gods before Him, and this goes beyond having any gods before Him, it denies He is soverign.

Yes, I am highly offended, and if this were to happen in the US, especially at my childs school, he knows to call me and I will come get him, he does not have to participate in any school setting that goes against our Christian belief.

Old 08-08-2007, 11:09 AM

255 posts, read 551,454 times
Excuse me, that is teaching these children that our God is inferior to allah, which goes against the very teachings of Christianity. This passage actually is saying that we are basically denying that God is who He is, and belittling what Jesus did for us on the cross. God is our creator and He is a jealous God.

No, the school was not teaching the kids any such thing. It was teaching them what Muslims believe.

There is no indication that the prayer was discussed as something the kids should say or believe, or that they were asked to pray it.

Old 08-08-2007, 11:15 AM

3,927 posts, read 7,886,844 times
Well, in my opinion it was, just for making the children write it. What if one of them had refused?

My God is a jealous God, and this crosses the line with me. Period. So, IMHO it planted a seed in a very young impressionable mind that went againt what might be taught at home.

Old 08-08-2007, 11:23 AM

356 posts, read 1,048,399 times
What did it teach their impressionable minds?!!!? That people have different value systems? Being in a public school we are inundated with Christianity, and as Atheists have to find the balance at home. I am glad to hear other religions are being discussed so my child knows there people in the world other than Christians.

Old 08-08-2007, 11:26 AM

483 posts, read 1,781,532 times
What is RE?

Religious Education, which is required in all British schools.

Old 08-08-2007, 12:04 PM

1,587 posts, read 3,621,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTbound View Post
What did it teach their impressionable minds?!!!? That people have different value systems? Being in a public school we are inundated with Christianity, and as Atheists have to find the balance at home. I am glad to hear other religions are being discussed so my child knows there people in the world other than Christians.
I don't have a problem with teaching other religions but I do have a problem with them writing out prayers from other religions. Not everyone is agnostic/atheistic and while I want my kids to LEARN about other religions I find it offensive for the school to have my kids PRACTICE other religions, especially at school!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or