U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 12:11 PM
9/9

383 posts, read 473,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiangel_writer View Post
I can see where the offense comes in in the wording of the prayer itself. There is no God but allah? Excuse me, that is teaching these children that our God is inferior to allah, which goes against the very teachings of Christianity. This passage actually is saying that we are basically denying that God is who He is, and belittling what Jesus did for us on the cross. God is our creator and He is a jealous God. We are not to have any gods before Him, and this goes beyond having any gods before Him, it denies He is soverign.

Yes, I am highly offended, and if this were to happen in the US, especially at my childs school, he knows to call me and I will come get him, he does not have to participate in any school setting that goes against our Christian belief.
I hope you are just as offended by all of the Christian beliefs that are taught in U.S. schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2007, 12:50 PM

1,587 posts, read 3,621,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzedforhim View Post
I don't have a problem with teaching other religions but I do have a problem with them writing out prayers from other religions. Not everyone is agnostic/atheistic and while I want my kids to LEARN about other religions I find it offensive for the school to have my kids PRACTICE other religions, especially at school!!!
Even if schools are teaching Christianity there should be no problem (but predominately there is) with learning Christian religious beliefs. The offense should be in teaching non-Christians to PRACTICE Christianity in school as this teacher demonstrated in his/her class by having the kids write out a Muslim prayer.

It goes both ways!

Last edited by Jazzedforhim; 08-08-2007 at 12:52 PM.. Reason: Forgot something

Old 08-08-2007, 01:02 PM

356 posts, read 1,048,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzedforhim View Post
I don't have a problem with teaching other religions but I do have a problem with them writing out prayers from other religions. Not everyone is agnostic/atheistic and while I want my kids to LEARN about other religions I find it offensive for the school to have my kids PRACTICE other religions, especially at school!!!
I agree completely. So far, however, the only religion my child is goaded into participating in IS Christianity. It starts every morning with the Pledge of Allegiance.

Old 08-08-2007, 01:10 PM
9/9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTbound View Post
I agree completely. So far, however, the only religion my child is goaded into participating in IS Christianity. It starts every morning with the Pledge of Allegiance.
My point exactly.

Old 08-08-2007, 01:15 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,757,726 times
In what way does the Pledge of Allegiance direct adherence to Christianity alone? The same could be said about Judaism, Islam, Hinduism, Native American religion, etc... You could say that kids are being coerced into theism, and I wouldn't argue, but not Christianity itself.

Old 08-08-2007, 01:23 PM
9/9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisW View Post
In what way does the Pledge of Allegiance direct adherence to Christianity alone? The same could be said about Judaism, Islam, Hinduism, Native American religion, etc... You could say that kids are being coerced into theism, and I wouldn't argue, but not Christianity itself.
Well, if you want to be general about it, I would say that the vaguest you could go would be mono-theism. It still should offend those offended by the Muslim prayer just as much.

That said, it is hard to argue with the fact that having our local school chorus sing songs about "the love of Jesus" is promoting the practice of Christianity.

Old 08-08-2007, 01:49 PM

4,663 posts, read 7,334,296 times
"RE" is religious education. There is no seperation of church and state in England, and so I had to endure the lords prayer in every morning "assembly", classes on talking snakes, and how "evolution" was a myth! This in a state funded school!!!!

Now, bearing in mind that "The Sun" is Englands worst newspaper.. its full of gossip, topless women, and soccer, the facts can't be taken at face value. But, if we have to endure Christian teachings in school, then in a free and democratic country that welcomes immigration then thats the way it is.

This paper is just catering to the idiot, racist, anti-immigration sect of British society that reads this tabloid trash mag.

Old 08-08-2007, 01:57 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,757,726 times
My personal opinion is that Religious Education is a good thing, but that religious traditions and secular institutions don't necessarily blend well.

Old 08-08-2007, 06:35 PM

556 posts, read 506,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9/9 View Post
I don't see how this is any different than requiring students to say the pledge of allegiance (which includes a reference to god).
The point is that it directly involves the MUSLIM religion. No, it's not the same as the pledge. With the pledge, the reference is to God. That can be the God of ANY religion - whereas Allah is the God of the MUSLIM religion.

The teacher should be fired and fined.

Old 08-08-2007, 07:15 PM
9/9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torrey View Post
The point is that it directly involves the MUSLIM religion. No, it's not the same as the pledge. With the pledge, the reference is to God. That can be the God of ANY religion - whereas Allah is the God of the MUSLIM religion.

The teacher should be fired and fined.
What about people who don't believe in any god? What about people who believe in more than one god? The pledge doesn't apply to their beliefs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or