U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-08-2007, 09:46 PM
 
Location: UPSTATE SC
1,411 posts, read 2,164,124 times
Reputation: 636

Advertisements

Teacher tolls kids to bring in a poster, craft, etc. of what their holidays are like . . .

Jewish kids brought in dradles (lot's of fun), mennorahs (excuse the spelling). African American kids brough in posters about Kwanza, Chinese kids brought in dragons and symbols from their New Year, my neice brough in a diorama of the Nativity Scene and some parents who came to the holiday play and were allowed to go visit their kids classrooms, demanded it be removed!!!!

The school's principal got a lot of heat (he was a Christian) and succumbed to having it removed . . .

There is a large number of people who hate anything to do with Christianity, but other religion's are totally acceptable, sounds hypocritical to me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-08-2007, 10:14 PM
 
103 posts, read 74,546 times
Reputation: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesigns64 View Post
Teacher tolls kids to bring in a poster, craft, etc. of what their holidays are like . . .

Jewish kids brought in dradles (lot's of fun), mennorahs (excuse the spelling). African American kids brough in posters about Kwanza, Chinese kids brought in dragons and symbols from their New Year, my neice brough in a diorama of the Nativity Scene and some parents who came to the holiday play and were allowed to go visit their kids classrooms, demanded it be removed!!!!

The school's principal got a lot of heat (he was a Christian) and succumbed to having it removed . . .

There is a large number of people who hate anything to do with Christianity, but other religion's are totally acceptable, sounds hypocritical to me!
If this is true (and I kinda doubt it) I agree that it was not fair, but then again I guess it could also be expected after having Christians trying to push their beliefs on everyone for the past 2000 years.

At which school did this occur? Please provide verifiable details/references otherwise it's really just hearsay. Surely an incident like this would appear in at least local news.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2007, 09:07 AM
 
18 posts, read 43,920 times
Reputation: 24
It's unfortunate that so many people choose not to beleive in God; although not one can explain how they wake up every morning; it's not the alarm clock!!. He did however give us a choice, so I have to respect your decisions to do what you want and beleive the way you do. I however do not have blinders on and can see the Creator in all of creation. You can say what you what, but you can not dispute how horrible our world is becoming and that includes the secular public schools. I too went to public schools and loved it. I also remember celebrating all holidays, saying the pledge and singing songs about Christ. We also had discipline and order and parents who were involved. I teach in the public schools so I see first hand all the change that is going on. This has sparked my decision to not only NOT subject my child to this now immoral institution, but I am also leaving. Thank God more people are also seeing the light, as evidenced by the growing numbers of homeschoolers. Go Vouchers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2007, 10:46 AM
 
7,139 posts, read 13,195,014 times
Reputation: 2333
With the present public education system being what it is, if I had children now, would absolutely never send them to a public school. If I had to I would scrub floors, do laundry or dishes, or work in the kitchen of the parochial school to allow my child a better deal. However, the best deal in this crazed age, is to join the growing subculture of Americans who prize their children and not willing to sacrifice them to the public school system, and that is to homeschool. I have seen the products of public education, too close to home, where parents willing to sacrifice their children on the altar of PC. It is sad to see where they are, at the bottom rung. Maybe they will be able to cllimb out, but why purposely cripple them if you can in ANY way afford to get them a quality education??!!

So I agree, twill, GO VOUCHERS! Just saw your comment also on homeschooling! Tried to give rep, but CD won't let me (used them all up).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2007, 10:58 AM
 
Location: Northern California
1,587 posts, read 3,624,712 times
Reputation: 529
Quote:
Originally Posted by twill View Post
It's unfortunate that so many people choose not to beleive in God; although not one can explain how they wake up every morning; it's not the alarm clock!!. He did however give us a choice, so I have to respect your decisions to do what you want and beleive the way you do. I however do not have blinders on and can see the Creator in all of creation. You can say what you what, but you can not dispute how horrible our world is becoming and that includes the secular public schools. I too went to public schools and loved it. I also remember celebrating all holidays, saying the pledge and singing songs about Christ. We also had discipline and order and parents who were involved. I teach in the public schools so I see first hand all the change that is going on. This has sparked my decision to not only NOT subject my child to this now immoral institution, but I am also leaving. Thank God more people are also seeing the light, as evidenced by the growing numbers of homeschoolers. Go Vouchers!
I agree, we homeschool too, at a great financial sacrifice but how much price can you place on what is taught to your children? Of course, there is the benefit of one on one education and the ability for your child to excel at the rate they are learning and not the rate of the class. But there is more to it. Not to down those whose kids are in the public school system. Not everyone can homeschool as it's admittedly a challenging career choice. However, the morals of the "group" in the public schools are not the kind of socialization I want for my kid. Homeschooling allows us to be around like minded persons (not all religious) who want independent thinkers strong enough to do right in the face of others doing wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2007, 11:07 AM
 
Location: Savannah GA/Lk Hopatcong NJ
13,108 posts, read 24,923,490 times
Reputation: 11146
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post



He said there is a growing anti-Muslim sentiment there and in a lot of Europe.
Understandable...they( Muslims) want us to be tolerant of them but do not offer the same tolerance to other religions.....you can rest assure if the Muslim child went home and told his parents he was asked to write about Christ or Jehovah or Passover there would have been a major uproar..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2007, 11:11 AM
 
Location: Rural Central Texas
3,605 posts, read 9,294,944 times
Reputation: 5448
Quote:
Originally Posted by aiangel_writer View Post
I can see where the offense comes in in the wording of the prayer itself. There is no God but allah? Excuse me, that is teaching these children that our God is inferior to allah, which goes against the very teachings of Christianity.
You need to study your bible a little closer. The god of Abraham is the same god as that of Mohammed and is the same god that sent his son to die on the cross for your sins. The Christian god is Allah.

The big difference is that Christians believe Jesus is the son of God and Muslims do not. They are like Jews in this respect, they believe Jesus was just another prophet like Moses.

Muslimism and Judiasm are both old testament religions, but from competeting family lines from Abraham.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2007, 11:53 AM
 
Location: Huntsville, AL
1,598 posts, read 4,141,266 times
Reputation: 1412
The pledge thing is an entirely erroneous point. Children who do not wish to reference God may simply omit that line when they recite the pledge, or they may stand quietly and say nothing.

That is a huge difference between required schoolwork involving the repeated writing of a direct theological statement.

Also as has been pointed out, the pledge is non-denomonational, non-specific reference to God, and is a nationally accepted pledge. If there is objection to the wording of the pledge, fine - it can be addressed through democratic means to seek change by those who wish it changed. Even if you feel the pledge is impropperly referring to God, a teacher or school cannot be held accountible for the recitation of a pledge that is accepted on a national level. But in this example, the teacher is way out of line, and the due course of objection for her action is via THAT specific shcool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2007, 11:57 AM
 
Location: Northern California
1,587 posts, read 3,624,712 times
Reputation: 529
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post
You need to study your bible a little closer. The god of Abraham is the same god as that of Mohammed and is the same god that sent his son to die on the cross for your sins. The Christian god is Allah.

The big difference is that Christians believe Jesus is the son of God and Muslims do not. They are like Jews in this respect, they believe Jesus was just another prophet like Moses.

Muslimism and Judiasm are both old testament religions, but from competeting family lines from Abraham.
If you deny Christ you are denying God to the Christian. Regardless of the roots...Jesus was God. Therefore they are NOT the same God to the Christian. The Christian God has three parts: Father, Son and Holy Spirit. To deny one is to deny all IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2007, 11:58 AM
 
255 posts, read 551,986 times
Reputation: 85
Were the children told to write the prayer repeatedly? I thought they just had to copy it out once for handwriting practice.

I must admit that I am saddened by so many objecting to this. Attitudes like this make me think that perhaps religion causes more harm in the world than good. Certainly, I think intolerant/fundamentalist religious attitudes are harmful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top