U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 06:44 PM

4,083 posts, read 4,427,230 times

Advertisements

IJTIHAD
A Return to Enlightenment, this is how Islam will come to co-exist with other religions in peace. For in moderation and understanding there can be co-existance.

The moderate muslims view:
Who are Moderate Muslims?
Ijtihad narrowly understood is a juristic tool that allows independent reasoning to articulate Islamic law on issues where textual sources are silent. The unstated assumption being when texts have spoken reason must be silent. But increasingly moderate Muslim intellectuals see Ijtihad as the spirit of Islamic thought that is necessary for the vitality of Islamic ideas and Islamic civilization. Without Ijtihad, Islamic thought and Islamic civilization fall into decay.

For moderate Muslims, Ijtihad is a way of life, which simultaneously allows Islam to reign supreme in the heart and the mind to experience unfettered freedom of thought. A moderate Muslim is therefore one who cherishes freedom of thought while recognizing the existential necessity of faith. She aspires for change, but through the power of mind and not through planting mines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2011, 07:11 PM

15,511 posts, read 13,291,704 times
Although many see this is something new, it is very old and is fundamental Islam. There are some differences in opinion between Shi'i and Sunni as to who is qualified to be a mujtahid. There is also disagreement over madhabs. as Shii believe no madhab should be followed and Sunni stress that we need to follow one of the 4 madhabs.

But these are minor issues and really pose no major problems. But a return to fundamental Islam as laid out by Ijtihad is needed to take out deen back from those who have stolen and misused it, in recent years.

Old 07-03-2011, 07:12 PM

7,945 posts, read 4,743,974 times
If you are trying to find an Enlightenment Age within the Muslim lands after our current Arab Springs, then I wish you luck. However, the true path of Enlightenment transverses through the land of understanding, where freedom, security, knowledge, wisedom, empathy, reason, and logic trumple dogma and false constraints.

Old 07-03-2011, 07:15 PM

40,090 posts, read 26,755,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Although many see this is something new, it is very old and is fundamental Islam. There are some differences in opinion between Shi'i and Sunni as to who is qualified to be a mujtahid. There is also disagreement over madhabs. as Shii believe no madhab should be followed and Sunni stress that we need to follow one of the 4 madhabs.

But these are minor issues and really pose no major problems. But a return to fundamental Islam as laid out by Ijtihad is needed to take out deen back from those who have stolen and misused it, in recent years.
I wish you luck and good fortune in that attempt, my brother . . . SINCERELY!!! Unfortunately, the Mafia tactics of those you oppose will not make it easy or likely.

Old 07-03-2011, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I wish you luck and good fortune in that attempt, my brother . . . SINCERELY!!! Unfortunately, the Mafia tactics of those you oppose will not make it easy or likely.
This has actually only been a recent battle. Too many of us have failed to see that wrong doers were using the name of Muslim. Those that are enemies within our midst are well recognized, al-Qaeda and those who misuse the name of Taliban. The true Taliban, if any still exist are not vigilantes operating under self law. What we see today as Taliban are very often gang members with gangland mentality.

But I strongly believe that the majority of those who wear the name of Muslim do know what Islam is and want to rid ourselves of those who have misused our beliefs.

Old 07-04-2011, 07:57 AM

Here are 2 websits about this group, it is to bad they don't work towards helping muslims become part of the world community of religions. Instead they seem to further encourage an isolationist Islam which is where most of the problems of Islam come from. Us vs them and we are right and everyone else is wrong.

When people can live together and be respectful of religious differences, in a democratic society where everyone has basic freedoms then there will be peace.

Tablighi Jamaat

Believing in the oneness of Allah
To offer the five prayers daily
Gaining knowledge and the remembrance of Allah
To respect every Muslim
Sincerity of intention
To spare time for this work

Tablighi Jamaat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
altmuslimah - The Tablighi Jamaat: A question of gender equality (http://www.altmuslimah.com/a/b/mca/4221/ - broken link)

Old 07-04-2011, 10:41 AM

1,215 posts, read 2,039,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
Here are 2 websits about this group, it is to bad they don't work towards helping muslims become part of the world community of religions. Instead they seem to further encourage an isolationist Islam which is where most of the problems of Islam come from. Us vs them and we are right and everyone else is wrong.

When people can live together and be respectful of religious differences, in a democratic society where everyone has basic freedoms then there will be peace.

Tablighi Jamaat

Believing in the oneness of Allah
To offer the five prayers daily
Gaining knowledge and the remembrance of Allah
To respect every Muslim
Sincerity of intention
To spare time for this work

Tablighi Jamaat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
altmuslimah - The Tablighi Jamaat: A question of gender equality (http://www.altmuslimah.com/a/b/mca/4221/ - broken link)
can you cite what you read in these links exactly and made you think that they don't work towards helping muslims become part of the world community of religions.

and what did you meant by " world community of relegion" ?

Old 07-04-2011, 10:50 AM

2,191 posts, read 4,206,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
If you are trying to find an Enlightenment Age within the Muslim lands after our current Arab Springs, then I wish you luck. However, the true path of Enlightenment transverses through the land of understanding, where freedom, security, knowledge, wisedom, empathy, reason, and logic trumple dogma and false constraints.

Absolutely true! Real enlightenment indeed transcends human understanding and our experience here on earth.

Old 07-04-2011, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elwill View Post
can you cite what you read in these links exactly and made you think that they don't work towards helping muslims become part of the world community of religions.

Looking through the links posted I found this:

Quote:
As mentioned earlier, a notable feature of the Tablighi Jamaat is that it does not have a structure at all. Usually, large movements like this require a leader to represent the views of the group or maintain order, but the Tablighi Jamaat has no political or national affiliation.

Instead, in the Jamaat, piety is the standard. This does not mean though that the more pious people become the decision-makers. In order to put into practice the highest form of righteousness, all members of the Jamaat are considered equal, regardless of their level of Islamic knowledge. While accurate dissemination of knowledge is certainly important, there is an emphasis on encouraging others to seek knowledge for themselves, thus elevating each person’s individual pursuit of knowledge.

This philosophy then extends into the domestic sphere. Looked at in one way, women associated with the Jamaat (whether through their husbands or through direct participation) are free from patriarchal restrictions and conventional gender roles. Either as heads of their households, breadwinners, or ultimate decision-makers, these women are not only to augment their knowledge of Islam individually, but should also call other women to learn when they set out to work in Jamaat circles.

One young woman from North America, Nadira,* who is associated with the Jamaat through her husband, says, “Jamaat not only teaches [you] how to inculcate best practices of our faith on a daily basis…It’s a global effort taking place all around the world and I feel that my part as a woman is making myself, my mother, my mother-in-law, and sisters around me more aware of how to become better Muslims.”
I see that as encouraging interaction with the world. However, I do want to point out that while Tablighi Jamaat associations are but one result of Ijtihad and not the whole concept.

A side note to those who misunderstand Jihad and what Jihad means to Muslims. Ijtihad, is Jihad. The terrorism, suicide bombers etc often called Jihad are not.

Old 07-04-2011, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elwill View Post

It seems to seek to keep women in a submissive, and segregated status. It also only works with muslims. It would seem that Islam would seek to become integrated with men and women being equal. It would also seem that in bringing muslims back to Islam they would also want to work towards allowing muslims to become integrated in the societies in which they live. But in the world Islam seems to encourage being separate from society and non integration of muslims.

What I mean by a community of religions is that all the different religions even though they have differences in belief have a way to move beyond that and have a mutual respect and cooperation. To be able to move beyond what separates and move towards what connects us.

In order to co-exist religions need to accept the differences of others.

But Yogindar Sikand, in his piece, “Women and the Tablighi Jamaat,” points out a far less equal situation for women. Sikand argues that there is an immense reliance on Tablighi texts, which are highly influenced by a Deobandi understanding that women should be deferential. The Deobandi method comes from a teaching institution rooted in Deoband, India, that focuses on religious knowledge, Sharia law and leadership vis a vis Sufism. The group also adheres to the four established Sunni schools of thought (“madhahib”) - Shafi’I, Hanbali, Maliki, and Hanafi - declaring that it “has been a center of both the Shariah and the Tariqa from the very day of its its inception.”
“To reinforce the image of the submissive wife, Tablighi texts freely draw on weak (za‘if) and concocted (mauzu) traditions (ahadith) attributed to the Prophet, which critics argue are completely violative of the actual Qur’anic mandate of gender equality, and which were later fabricated in order to lend support to extreme patriarchal notions.”

Sikand goes on to cite the book, “Twenty Lessons for Muslim Women,” by Indian Tablighi scholar, Maulana ‘Ashiq Elahi Bulandshahri. Bulandshahri is preoccupied with distinct details on how women should go about their daily lives, and maintain their modesty: “If she goes to the market she must not, under any circumstances, lift the veil from off her face, not even to see what she is buying,” (Bulandshahri n.d., 75).

A loosely organized, open fraternity, the Tablighi Jamaat associations travel in groups to various towns and mosques to invite Muslims to come and learn about Islam. This organization does not “preach” to people outside of the faith. Instead, it seeks to cultivate the faith of those already Muslim; the group is based on the idea that building a strong Islamic foundation is necessary before going out to call others to Islam. Today, Tablighi Jamaat branches are found all over world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam