U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 12:35 PM

8,793 posts, read 10,707,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
We can separate it from the Bible, hence Christianity, just as soon as the religion denounces and eliminates such inclusions, the text inherited from Judaism. Perhaps that will also include and even older text... The Ten Commandments?

No you miss my point - that even the "new" testament has something that sounds like "Jewish" ritual law. Not that theres anything wrong with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2011, 04:04 PM

3,059 posts, read 3,227,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
Then you should push for that in YOUR church. Some religions have different views (Orthodox and many Conservative Jewish synagogues, for example reserve certain of the weekly bible readings for descendants of the ancient priestly order - would you have the govt ban that too?)
My church is fine when it comes to this area....thanks for going off topic. This has nothing to do with Christanity, Hinduism, Buddism, Satanism, or any other religion. The article and this thread is about Islamic mosques in the US. Is that too hard to comprehend? One more time, where did I state the government should step in? Please o please point that out......the article may state that, but I did not....

Old 07-15-2011, 04:20 PM

2,031 posts, read 2,409,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdomcome1 View Post
My church is fine when it comes to this area....thanks for going off topic. This has nothing to do with Christanity, Hinduism, Buddism, Satanism, or any other religion. The article and this thread is about Islamic mosques in the US. Is that too hard to comprehend? One more time, where did I state the government should step in? Please o please point that out......the article may state that, but I did not....
That's the point -- you don't care one whit about ending gender discrimination by religious institutions, you only care about ending religious discrimination by Islamic religious institutions. What you're too dense to realize is that most people aren't interested in such selfish, hypocritical stances as yours.

Not that I think you'll be able to comprehend this...

Old 07-15-2011, 04:25 PM

7,945 posts, read 4,738,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
You might see semantics and specific words in a document as a rescue but the leading founders couldn’t have been more clear about the need for a wall of separation between religion and government. A quote from Madison, I posted earlier, illustrates that aspect. The idea they promoted was one of being able to separate personal beliefs from such beliefs becoming what a government does.

A corruption of, diversion from, this idea would lead to such authorities writing laws to oppress religions (clearly, minority sects, within a particular religion or across religions). And with laws, just about anything can be made illegal. Do you think that was the idea they espoused instead? Give me an example that would demonstrate just that.

Moderator cut: Orphaned reference
Polygamy.
animal sacrafise.
human sacrafise.
Christians are not allowed to follow most of the laws within their idol book: such as killing homosexuals, mouthy children, and witches.
Religious smoking habits (when illegal) can be allowed or disallowed by the state governments.
religions can't be oppresed, as tools of evil, they have no feelings. people are allowed to believe whatever they want, as long as they follow the laws. It's not about Hindus imposing their will on Atheists or Christians imposing their will of Muslims(there are plenty of Christians that love to discriminate against women). It's about humans imposing their will on other humans. women are not distractions, weak minded arab men distract themselves with their disgusting animal thoughts, its not the women's fault, its the men's.

Old 07-15-2011, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyageur View Post
That's the point -- you don't care one whit about ending gender discrimination by religious institutions, you only care about ending religious discrimination by Islamic religious institutions. What you're too dense to realize is that most people aren't interested in such selfish, hypocritical stances as yours.

Not that I think you'll be able to comprehend this...
You have no idea of what you are talking about. Thanks for the personal attack and once again(like your fellow cohorts) straying off topic. What's the title of this thread? Is it "Buddism run amok?" or how about "John Wayne's Best Movies?" In case you do not comprend English, I can repost the thread in other languages if needed. Thread too hard for you to comprehend? Subject matter too much for you? If so, then don't post dribble on one's thread. Start your own......

Old 07-15-2011, 05:26 PM

591 posts, read 560,703 times
Quote:
End gender apartheid in U.S. mosques - USATODAY.com

Interesting read on something that needs to change.....

All the women of Islam needs to do is not have anything to do with Muhammad, or anyone who showers love and peace upon Muhammad. Problem solved.

Old 07-15-2011, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ball Pean View Post
All the women of Islam needs to do is not have anything to do with Muhammad, or anyone who showers love and peace upon Muhammad. Problem solved.
Perfect!

Old 07-15-2011, 08:13 PM

2,798 posts, read 3,671,714 times
Quote:
Perfect!
Wow,it only took 40 something replies to get someone to say something you agree with......I don't have a problem with ballpeans solution either,but it isn't any different then what several others ,including me,have suggested..if the muslim women don't like the treatment they should stay home.

If you're going to post an article whose central point is that the govt should intervene in a religion then don't complain when others assume you support the position of an article that 'you posted' and take you on about it.Govt intervention into religious practice was the 'point' of the article cited,discussing how it would affect other religions isn't changing the topic.This is a 'discussion forum',not a campaign rally for your adoring fans.If you can't handle opposing views to your ideas then I suggest you don't post them up for discussion.

Most of us who responded are neither christian bashers nor big defenders of islam,I know I'm not.Sometimes defending religious freedom in America requires us to defend religions we aren't fans of from govt intrusion in order to prevent attacks on our own.Sorry you are incapable of understanding that concept.

If muslim practices in America need to change then that change must come from within.The muslims don't care what I think about their seating arrangements,just as I don't care what they think of practices in my church.If the muslim women start staying home or converting to your church enmasse i'm sure the issue would be settled quickly.If most muslim women are fine with the status quo then nothing will change and if its not your religion,its none of your business.

Old 07-15-2011, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imbobbbb View Post
Wow,it only took 40 something replies to get someone to say something you agree with......I don't have a problem with ballpeans solution either,but it isn't any different then what several others ,including me,have suggested..if the muslim women don't like the treatment they should stay home.

If you're going to post an article whose central point is that the govt should intervene in a religion then don't complain when others assume you support the position of an article that 'you posted' and take you on about it.Govt intervention into religious practice was the 'point' of the article cited,discussing how it would affect other religions isn't changing the topic.This is a 'discussion forum',not a campaign rally for your adoring fans.If you can't handle opposing views to your ideas then I suggest you don't post them up for discussion.

Most of us who responded are neither christian bashers nor big defenders of islam,I know I'm not.Sometimes defending religious freedom in America requires us to defend religions we aren't fans of from govt intrusion in order to prevent attacks on our own.Sorry you are incapable of understanding that concept.

If muslim practices in America need to change then that change must come from within.The muslims don't care what I think about their seating arrangements,just as I don't care what they think of practices in my church.If the muslim women start staying home or converting to your church enmasse i'm sure the issue would be settled quickly.If most muslim women are fine with the status quo then nothing will change and if its not your religion,its none of your business.

As with most if not all threads started about Islam, there are those who always bring up Christianity, why is that? Staying on topic is a real fine line dude. It amazes me and others here how no matter what the article is about or what crime has been committed and it concerns Muslims, it always comes back to "and I read so so did this and that in the Bible 3000 years ago", blah blah blah......What did most of these comments concering this thread have anything thing to do with this article??? Most of them have been, "Christian this or Christian that" or personal attacks that will be dealt with the Mods.

"If I can't handle opposing viewpoints?" Dude I suggest you go back and read my many threads and posts. Handling "opposing viewpoints" is nothing compared to being in law enforcement. Handling opposing viewpoints is something I did for 21 years.That was a funny funny quote by you, I applaud that. Did you even read the article? Do you comprehend on how to read something, decifer it, respond to it, without bringing up another sport, religion, government, or entity? I am guessing not based on your responses. If someone starts a thread titled " Best Games In NFL History", does that have anything to do with baseball? Or basketball? I know that are some of you out there that just loath Christianity and it's followers and had I started a thread on Christianity than most of these replies would have been fine and dandy in that context and that thread. The thing is I did not. Read your TOS for a better understanding of how to respond to a thread and what staying on topic is about. Next time someone opens a thread on Hinduism, my advice is not to bring up Islam, stay on topic with Hinduism unless the OP asks for input on the matter via a post. Good grief.....

Old 07-15-2011, 09:57 PM

276 posts, read 737,291 times
i couldnt see the article, because the link didn't work....but i can guess what it might have said from your responses.
haven't you guys seen what a muslim prayer looks like? muslims stand with their shoulders and arms touching the people next to them (most of the time, hips will also touch if it is really crowded, etc). the prayer involves bowing at the waist and also prostration on the ground (ie sitting in a kneeling position and then putting one's forehead on the ground). you dont have to be a muslim woman to feel that you wouldn't want to do that with a bunch of men behind you. usually women pray behind the men. in some mosques the women have a huge balcony above the men, in some there is a separate room either with a glass wall to see into the men's side or a tv to see the imam, in some there is a curtain between both groups in the same room. the traditional way (according to how it was done in the early years of islam) is to have men and women pray in the same room--without a barrier (curtain) between--but women prayed in the rows behind the men.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam