U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-15-2011, 10:39 PM
 
Location: texas
3,059 posts, read 3,228,679 times
Reputation: 1738

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtohouston2 View Post
i couldnt see the article, because the link didn't work....but i can guess what it might have said from your responses.
haven't you guys seen what a muslim prayer looks like? muslims stand with their shoulders and arms touching the people next to them (most of the time, hips will also touch if it is really crowded, etc). the prayer involves bowing at the waist and also prostration on the ground (ie sitting in a kneeling position and then putting one's forehead on the ground). you dont have to be a muslim woman to feel that you wouldn't want to do that with a bunch of men behind you. usually women pray behind the men. in some mosques the women have a huge balcony above the men, in some there is a separate room either with a glass wall to see into the men's side or a tv to see the imam, in some there is a curtain between both groups in the same room. the traditional way (according to how it was done in the early years of islam) is to have men and women pray in the same room--without a barrier (curtain) between--but women prayed in the rows behind the men.

Yeah my friend(Kaveh) from Iran has told me the same thing on the prayer situation. I believe that (based on the article) some women however do want to participate in the same prayer area as the men. Sorry the link didn't work for ya. I can try to send it to you via dm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-15-2011, 11:45 PM
 
2,798 posts, read 3,672,531 times
Reputation: 1087
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdomcome1 View Post
As with most if not all threads started about Islam, there are those who always bring up Christianity, why is that? Staying on topic is a real fine line dude. It amazes me and others here how no matter what the article is about or what crime has been committed and it concerns Muslims, it always comes back to "and I read so so did this and that in the Bible 3000 years ago", blah blah blah......What did most of these comments concering this thread have anything thing to do with this article??? Most of them have been, "Christian this or Christian that" or personal attacks that will be dealt with the Mods.

"If I can't handle opposing viewpoints?" Dude I suggest you go back and read my many threads and posts. Handling "opposing viewpoints" is nothing compared to being in law enforcement. Handling opposing viewpoints is something I did for 21 years.That was a funny funny quote by you, I applaud that. Did you even read the article? Do you comprehend on how to read something, decifer it, respond to it, without bringing up another sport, religion, government, or entity? I am guessing not based on your responses. If someone starts a thread titled " Best Games In NFL History", does that have anything to do with baseball? Or basketball? I know that are some of you out there that just loath Christianity and it's followers and had I started a thread on Christianity than most of these replies would have been fine and dandy in that context and that thread. The thing is I did not. Read your TOS for a better understanding of how to respond to a thread and what staying on topic is about. Next time someone opens a thread on Hinduism, my advice is not to bring up Islam, stay on topic with Hinduism unless the OP asks for input on the matter via a post. Good grief.....
I very rarely read and more rarely respond to posts about islam,because islam doesn't really interest me in a religious sense.If you were in law enforcementfor 21 years I would assume you understand how laws work and how my point about how they would be applied to other religions is right to the point regarding what the article was talking about and asking for.....government intervention in religious practices.I read the article in usa today the other morning.I didn't support the practice of gender segregation in mosques,I just opposed the govt being involved because of where it WOULD lead.I don't loath christians,spend most sundays in church,and said nothing about anything from thousands of years ago.

If you can't understand the ramifications for what was suggested in the article to other religions,....in America....today,and see how it directly relates to the topic...well I give up.

Your sports analogy doesn't hold up too well either.No a thread about Best Games in NFL History would have nothing to do with baseball.A topic about pending legislation to require all professional football players to submit to monthly drug tests would of course however have possible ramifications for baseball,basketball,hockey,etc players.Just like govt intervention in seating arrangements at mosques based on gender would have ramifications for gender based practices in churches and synagouges.To suggest otherwise is just silly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2011, 12:01 PM
 
Location: texas
3,059 posts, read 3,228,679 times
Reputation: 1738
Quote:
Originally Posted by imbobbbb View Post
I very rarely read and more rarely respond to posts about islam,because islam doesn't really interest me in a religious sense.If you were in law enforcementfor 21 years I would assume you understand how laws work and how my point about how they would be applied to other religions is right to the point regarding what the article was talking about and asking for.....government intervention in religious practices.I read the article in usa today the other morning.I didn't support the practice of gender segregation in mosques,I just opposed the govt being involved because of where it WOULD lead.I don't loath christians,spend most sundays in church,and said nothing about anything from thousands of years ago.

If you can't understand the ramifications for what was suggested in the article to other religions,....in America....today,and see how it directly relates to the topic...well I give up.

Your sports analogy doesn't hold up too well either.No a thread about Best Games in NFL History would have nothing to do with baseball.A topic about pending legislation to require all professional football players to submit to monthly drug tests would of course however have possible ramifications for baseball,basketball,hockey,etc players.Just like govt intervention in seating arrangements at mosques based on gender would have ramifications for gender based practices in churches and synagouges.To suggest otherwise is just silly.

Understanding the ramifications about other religions is not what the article or this thread was about. Again, what's the title of this thread and the subject matter? Think about that. See here's the thing, this article, these women want something that they should be getting. Now, before you come back with, " but wait!!!! What about nuns? what about monks? what about ????(something else Christian), concentrate on the religion that is at hand and what this thread is about...Islam. Why is that so hard to do? Islam=what the thread is about, Christianity=nothing the thread is about. Have a Great C-D Day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2011, 12:08 PM
 
Location: City-Data Forum
7,945 posts, read 4,740,489 times
Reputation: 1328
If we are to end Gender Apartheid, we must do so in the other places under our control within the U.S. also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2011, 12:21 PM
 
Location: texas
3,059 posts, read 3,228,679 times
Reputation: 1738
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
If we are to end Gender Apartheid, we must do so in the other places under our control within the U.S. also.

Agreed, but that is for another thread. I would like one thread that concerns one religion, to stay on that religion, and on topic. One battle at a time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2011, 10:16 AM
 
Location: The Port City is rising.
8,803 posts, read 10,711,160 times
Reputation: 2522
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdomcome1 View Post
My church is fine when it comes to this area....thanks for going off topic. This has nothing to do with Christanity, Hinduism, Buddism, Satanism, or any other religion. The article and this thread is about Islamic mosques in the US. Is that too hard to comprehend? One more time, where did I state the government should step in? Please o please point that out......the article may state that, but I did not....
singling out ONE religion IS the point. And its wrong.

and yeah, at a time when presidential candidates are supporting bans on mosque construction, if you are not in favor of govt intervention, and dont want to give the wrong impression, it might be worthwhile to be careful what you link to.

Whether muslims themselves should have more egalitarian practices depends on what the meaning of their practices is for muslims, what textual reinterpretations are possible etc. I doubt many of us nonmuslims could add much to that - I know that few nonJews could add much to a discussion of different positions within Judaism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2011, 10:21 AM
 
Location: The Port City is rising.
8,803 posts, read 10,711,160 times
Reputation: 2522
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdomcome1 View Post
Agreed, but that is for another thread. I would like one thread that concerns one religion, to stay on that religion, and on topic. One battle at a time.

If you are discussing one religion, it would be useful if you had detailed knowledge of that religion. I could see, say a discussion of "should gays be ordained as Episcopal bishops?" being started as a debate between the different groups of episcopalians. but if a Muslim were to start it, and expect Catholics, Jews, baptist, etc to participate it would be silly.

If you are a muslim, well show us your islamic knowledge. If you are not, you need to think if changing the practices within one particular religion, that is not your own, is really your battle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2011, 10:22 AM
 
Location: The Port City is rising.
8,803 posts, read 10,711,160 times
Reputation: 2522
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdomcome1 View Post
? Islam=what the thread is about, Christianity=nothing the thread is about. Have a Great C-D Day

Why dont you report everyone tryiing to change the subject to the mods? see what they think of your attempt to make a thread solely about what you want to change in Islam.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2011, 07:08 PM
 
Location: texas
3,059 posts, read 3,228,679 times
Reputation: 1738
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
Why dont you report everyone tryiing to change the subject to the mods? see what they think of your attempt to make a thread solely about what you want to change in Islam.


To sum up a response for your last three posts, if you don't like, agree, or are otherwise disillusioned, move on to other threads or start your own...enough with the whinyness
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2011, 05:45 PM
 
78 posts, read 163,122 times
Reputation: 37
well I can tell you that me as a former Muslim think women in Islam have no right at all !
In fact Islam is a religion that teaches people hate and violence
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top