Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 09:23 PM

3,135 posts, read 3,780,625 times

Advertisements

End gender apartheid in U.S. mosques - USATODAY.com

Interesting read on something that needs to change.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2011, 10:19 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,433,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdomcome1 View Post

Why does it need to change?Why should the govt be involved?Has anyone who thinks the govt should get involved thought through where such a policy of govt intervention could lead?Seperation of church and state is only good when it applys to other religions?

If one doesn't like the policies of their church they can sleep in on sunday,[or whatever day],or find one that has policies they do agree with.It really isn't that big a deal in this country.You don't have to go to any church or any specific church.If women quit attending segregated mosques perhaps someone would take notice and decide to modify their policy.If a majority of muslim women don't care or find segregated mosques acceptable then the whiners need to find another mosque that meets their ideas of gender equality.....Its really that simple

Old 07-11-2011, 10:28 PM

2,974 posts, read 1,983,756 times
...the above post nailed it...!!

Old 07-11-2011, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imbobbbb View Post
Why does it need to change?Why should the govt be involved?Has anyone who thinks the govt should get involved thought through where such a policy of govt intervention could lead?Seperation of church and state is only good when it applys to other religions?

If one doesn't like the policies of their church they can sleep in on sunday,[or whatever day],or find one that has policies they do agree with.It really isn't that big a deal in this country.You don't have to go to any church or any specific church.If women quit attending segregated mosques perhaps someone would take notice and decide to modify their policy.If a majority of muslim women don't care or find segregated mosques acceptable then the whiners need to find another mosque that meets their ideas of gender equality.....Its really that simple

It needs to change(and will change) because this is America, not some middle eastern country where women are treated like second class citizens, that's why. This being the norm in mosques is not acceptable. As I have mentioned before in other threads, my Iranian friend who is here in the states cannot enter into a mosque because he is gay. Enough is enough.....This is coming from a Conserative, who abhors discrimination on any level.

Old 07-11-2011, 10:35 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,073,501 times
Quote:

Only if one does not understand the purpose for gender separation in the Masjid. It is not a question of superiority or inferiority it is an issue of distraction from the purpose of being in the Masjid.

the simple reality of life is we are humans. It is or can be difficult to concentrate on prayer when a member of the opposite gender is nearby.

I will agree that the areas should be equal and not pose any sign of one section being "better" than the section for the opposite gender.

If the issue is one of one section being more comfortable than the other, that is a discrimination that needs to end. But if the issue is simply that of separation, I see no grounds to call it apartheid.

Old 07-11-2011, 11:01 PM

33,532 posts, read 37,132,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Only if one does not understand the purpose for gender separation in the Masjid. It is not a question of superiority or inferiority it is an issue of distraction from the purpose of being in the Masjid.

the simple reality of life is we are humans. It is or can be difficult to concentrate on prayer when a member of the opposite gender is nearby.

I will agree that the areas should be equal and not pose any sign of one section being "better" than the section for the opposite gender.

If the issue is one of one section being more comfortable than the other, that is a discrimination that needs to end. But if the issue is simply that of separation, I see no grounds to call it apartheid.
Good grief! Have you Muslim men no control at all...The way Muslim women are required to dress ( by this patriarchal religion) how can anyone lust after them? I hope you stay off the streets and out of the malls if that is the extent of your self control.

...And it definitely IS all about Islam claiming that women are worth less than men...That message is sprinkled throughout your holy books.

I would call it discrimination as well as apartheid...

Old 07-11-2011, 11:06 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,433,212 times
Quote:
It needs to change(and will change) because this is America, not some middle eastern country where women are treated like second class citizens, that's why. This being the norm in mosques is not acceptable. As I have mentioned before in other threads, my Iranian friend who is here in the states cannot enter into a mosque because he is gay. Enough is enough.....This is coming from a Conserative, who abhors discrimination on any level.
Well since this is America the women are under no compulsion to attend a specific church/mosque/synogauge/coven if they feel they are being treated as second class citizens!If they 'choose' to do so it is none of my or your business,and certainly not the governments!

Can your gay Iranian friend attend a mosque in Iran?At least here he/she can live as they want,and avoid organizations who treat them unfairly.

I suppose you also feel that the catholic church should be forced by the govt to ordain female priests and drop their chastity requirements for the male ones,that sikh and orthodox jews should be forced to stop having the women and men sit on different sides of the room at church,and that the govt should mandate that the baptists and muslims most accept openly gay clergy.I suppose an unmarried minister who is 'living in sin' with his girlfriend who works at the 'stripbar' he co-owns should have his right to be clergy protected...even if his church doesn't want him.Yeah....lets forget about a seperation of church and state....lets have the govt decide what all policies at all churches should be !!

Old 07-11-2011, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Well since this is America the women are under no compulsion to attend a specific church/mosque/synogauge/coven if they feel they are being treated as second class citizens!If they 'choose' to do so it is none of my or your business,and certainly not the governments!

Can your gay Iranian friend attend a mosque in Iran?At least here he/she can live as they want,and avoid organizations who treat them unfairly.

I suppose you also feel that the catholic church should be forced by the govt to ordain female priests and drop their chastity requirements for the male ones,that sikh and orthodox jews should be forced to stop having the women and men sit on different sides of the room at church,and that the govt should mandate that the baptists and muslims most accept openly gay clergy.I suppose an unmarried minister who is 'living in sin' with his girlfriend who works at the 'stripbar' he co-owns should have his right to be clergy protected...even if his church doesn't want him.Yeah....lets forget about a seperation of church and state....lets have the govt decide what all policies at all churches should be !!

Ahh the good ol Christian comparison...always tried and true when Islam is brought up by anybody. This thread is about Islamic Mosques in the US, not Christian anything, or Hindu, Buddist, or??? for that matter. If you want to discuss Christianity or any other religion for that matter, please start a thread of your own and I will look it over to see if I want to post on it, thanks a bunch...and no my friend cannot attend a mosque in Iran(he would be killed, as others like him have been)

Old 07-11-2011, 11:46 PM

33,532 posts, read 37,132,711 times
Quote:

You have just confirmed that most religions are also patriarchal and value women less than men...Good that you pointed this out.
Gotta keep 'em barefoot and pregnant as the saying goes, right?

Old 07-12-2011, 03:08 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,065,133 times
I believe apartheid can only be ended by its participants
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam